Lee(ch)s Paddock?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lee(ch)s Paddock?

Postby Clownfish » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 12:28 pm

My eldest has a friend visiting from the Mainland over the hols, and we were planning on an overnighter, but making it an easy one as the friend has zilch walking experience.

Lee's Paddock is the first that comes to mind, but the only question I have is - can anyone tell me if it has a problem with leeches? We've done it as a day walk, and I can't say as I noticed any leeches, while we were walking up to and around the hut and across to the river, but I have heard someone on ABC North Tas claim that they woke up "covered in leeches" when they camped there.

I ask particularly because our hiking tent might be a bit cramped with the extra person, in which case I was planning on just sleeping under a tarp (should be interesting - haven't actually done this since I was in the Air Cadets!), and I'd rather not wake up covered in bloodsuckers :cry: I'd also imagine our Mainland visitor would be a little less sanguine (pun intended) about leeches than we are (although I've never met anyone who actually liked the critters).

I suspect the ABC person was embellishing things just a little ...
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lee(ch)s Paddock?

Postby scrub master » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 2:26 pm

it all depends on how far in you are going. The section from the Mersey into the hut and the area around the hut is relatively leech free, but between the hut & Lake Ayr is one of the most leech-ridden places I have ever been. Admitedly it was a cold and wet day we went through, but....
My walking companion noticed a leech on his left boot, then another and another. The final tally - 26 on the left and 40 odd on the right. Needless to say, we didn't hang around very long that day !
If you want to go lightweight, you could always stay in the hut - very comfortable and warm on a chilly night.
scrub master
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby sthughes » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 3:07 pm

I've never actually stayed at Lewis Lee's hut in the lower paddocks but I'd have to say if you lay on the ground for a few hours anywhere up there you'd be very lucky to come out unscathed! They are everywhere on the slopes of the Cathedral Plateau and also up Lake Ayr way so I doubt they are missing from half way between :wink:
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 3:22 pm

Just to add to your cheer ... the area between Lees Hut and Waddley's Hut is the snakiest place I've ever been (although it was in hot weather, and in late summer). Let's hope your friend doesn't have phobias about slithery critters of varying types and sizes! :wink:

To save tent/beastie issues, you might consider a hut trip. Eg have you ever been in to Lake Nameless Hut? You drive to Lake Mackenzie, so most of the climb is already done. The walk is off-track for a couple of hours, but it is easy. And the hut sleeps 4 or more in rustic comfort - which is fine if no-one else turns up! Also worth considering is Hunstmans Hideaway (local to you I see) - if it's still open to the public.

cheers

Peter
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Chrisbulldog » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi clownfish. My walking buddy and i walked into Lees on 1st November. Never saw 1 leech. Saw 3 snakes , 2 whippy's and a tiger ( which i almost trod on) As suggested above , the huts might be a good option if you are concerned.
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 4:05 pm

PS - link to earlier piece about Ironstone Hut (Lk Nameless) is here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1738
Solvitur ambulando (Walking solves it) - attributed to St Augustine, 4th century AD.
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Clownfish » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 4:13 pm

Lake Nameless Hut sounds like a good option actually. The off-track walking would enhance the "wilderness experience" for our newbie. I haven't been that way, but I'd hazard a guess that the terrain is fairly similar to around Lake Ada and the Talleh lagoons?

What route would you recommend - a quick glance at the map suggests an obvious way, but if you want to give detailed directions, a PM would probably be best.

My boys and I aren't too fazed by snakes; seen too many of them by now! But leeches, I don't know anyone to ever develop an affection for those little horrors :lol:

Ah ... just saw your PS as I was preparing this ... we'll be going sometime around the New Year, so the hut is likely to be occupied?
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whynotwalk » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 4:18 pm

Heading off-line now, but will PM re. the route tomorrow (once I refresh my memory)!

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 7:37 pm

There's leeches just about anywhere you'd bushwalk in Tasmania (except perhaps the east coast). But I had a similar experience to others here. Not much of a problem on the Lees track but a plague of them on the Reedy Lake Track (Lees to Pelion). After removing them at Pelion, we calculated that we'd got one every 3 minutes for the entire Reedy Lake track. The number of bites left on my legs made me look like I had a rash for days afterward.

If you go into Lake Nameless from McKenzie, there's some very good directions on the forums already in an old topic. If you follow Explorer Creek, just be sure to cross it as it flattens out. Don't try to cross it where it gets muddy - it's like quick mud. Go back a bit and cross where it's rocky (or at least where it's narrow enough to jump).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby corvus » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 7:58 pm

whynotwalk wrote: Also worth considering is Hunstmans Hideaway (local to you I see) - if it's still open to the public.

cheers

Peter

Sorry to comment but the once perfect Huntsman Hidaeaway has been "Hooned" and is less than Salubrious now and I would not leave any unsupervised gear there now.
The surrounding area is broken glass strewn with rubbish galore ,other than for a teenage *&^%$#! up I could sadly not recommend this free camping setting to anyone. :cry:
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby corvus » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 8:20 pm

G'day Clownfish,
The Leech scare is just that ,be alert ,be aware and be sure of your DEET ,inside Gaiters at the ankle area and on Gaiters around the top then on the leg area just below the top and above the knees :lol: .
I may add that if you are alert they can be picked off and disposed off without any real trouble unless you have a phobia and yes if I do miss one I can itch with the bite for a week or more.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Drifting » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 9:41 pm

where's the Huntman's Hideaway?
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Clownfish » Mon 23 Nov, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for all the info, folks. I found those old posts, which are most informative.

One question - what do you think of this for a 3-day plan: 1)Lake Mackenzie > past Lake Balmoral to Lady Lake Hut 2)Lady Lake Hut > Higgs Track to Lake Nameless 3)Lake Nameless back to Mackenzie?

The only reservation I have is that it appears to be quite swampy b/w Lake Mckenzie & Lady Lake?
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 9:03 am

Clownfish wrote:Thanks for all the info, folks. I found those old posts, which are most informative.

One question - what do you think of this for a 3-day plan: 1)Lake Mackenzie > past Lake Balmoral to Lady Lake Hut 2)Lady Lake Hut > Higgs Track to Lake Nameless 3)Lake Nameless back to Mackenzie?

The only reservation I have is that it appears to be quite swampy b/w Lake Mckenzie & Lady Lake?

I've been thinking of doing that in reverse one day. I'll be interested to hear from you if you do the section between Lady Lake, Balmoral, McKenzie (which I've not yet done, myself).

Another good circuit in that area is:
  • Day 1: McKenzie, Blue Peaks, Little Throne Lake & Little Throne (camp in tents near any of the thousands of lakes in the area) (WARNING: There is a track to Blue Peaks, but it's hard to follow in places, and there is a lack of landmarks making navigation difficult). Little Throne is about the smallest 'mountain' you'll ever climb.
  • Day 2: Off track via Lakes Chambers, Douglas, etc, to Lake Nameless (no track, but navigation is fairly easy if the weather is favourable, and you're experienced with a map and compass). Camp at Ironstone Hut, or in tents on the wide open expanses of grass near Chambers/Douglas, or any of the may other lakes in the area.
  • Day 3: Snake Lake, Lake Explorer, Explorer Creek, Lake McKenzie.

This is mostly fairly easy walking, and it's a great circuit.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby whynotwalk » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 9:43 am

Hi Clownfish - any circuit in that area would be interesting, given clear weather. I haven't been to Lady Lake, but I hear the hut is pretty good. When I've been in the area I've taken in lots of lakes; Forty Lakes Peak (well worth looking around the myriad lakes - many more than 40!); and Mt Ironstone. There is a large boulder field to negotiate between Lk. Nameless and Mt. Ironstone.

As for getting from Lake Mackenzie carpark to Lake Nameless, it's mostly straightforward. Sidle the western shore of the lake; ford the Fisher R/Explorer Ck (virtually the same thing near the lake) then follow the eastern side (true right) of Explorer Ck, crossing to the west before Lake Explorer. One time I went via the eastern shore of Lake Explorer, and wouldn't recommend it (a bit scrubby unless you go higher onto the ridge). Stick to the western shore, wander over past Snake Lake and over the hump to Lake Nameless. The hut is up the hill due south of the lake. My memory of it was that it took around two hours (+/-).

It sounds like you're going to carry a tent in case, and that would be wise given others might beat you to the hut(s). Have a great trip,

cheers

Peter
whynotwalk
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mr. T » Tue 24 Nov, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi Clownfish

My wife and I did a day walk into Lees in February about 3 years ago. Fine on the way in and no worries. Rain while in there and on the way out....leeches, leeches, leeches!! Stopped every 15 minutes to de-leech! They were every where through the ferns that you have to walk through brushing your legs. Worth the effort though.

As for a loop...reckon McKenzie-Blue Peaks-Nameless-Explorer-McKenzie with a side trip up to Lady Lake past Lucy Long and Westons would be a good circuit.

cheers
rod
Mr. T
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby corvus » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 4:38 pm

Drifting wrote:where's the Huntman's Hideaway?

Off the Meander Falls track.
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby corvus » Wed 25 Nov, 2009 4:57 pm

Clownfish wrote:Thanks for all the info, folks. I found those old posts, which are most informative.

G'day Clownfish,
Dont want to put a wet blanket on your plans however you did say that your visitor was inexperienced and the area you intend to visit is somewhat untracked and exposed,why not just go to Lady Lake Hut then do a day walk to Ironstone and back,no need to Tent (if the hut is free) but an easy walk in and out.
You know your groups capabilities and you will still experience a magic area if you dont do the circuit :)
corvus
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Return to Tasmania