Tasmanian Parks Closed

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby north-north-west » Sun 05 Apr, 2020 9:11 pm

i was querying the activity, not the the animal.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 6:41 pm

Tasmanian national parks to receive infrastructure makeover during closure
Rehabilitation work on park walks, roads and bridges that were damaged by recent bushfires will be undertaken while Tasmania's national parks are closed.

The Mercury

A SILVER lining to the closure of Tasmanian national parks will be improved infrastructure when they reopen.

Environment Minister Roger Jaensch said Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service was taking advantage of the closure to undertake rehabilitation work on park walks, roads and bridges that were damaged by recent bushfires.

“Tenders will be called during the coming weeks for a range of projects in southern Tasmania where the fires damaged more than 117 kilometres of walking tracks and 119 kilometres of roads, bridges and other PWS assets,” Mr Jaensch said.

“The rehabilitation work will include projects such as clearing and track rebuilding. This work will help generate jobs and economic activity in regional Tasmania and help the tourism industry rebound strongly when the coronavirus emergency has passed.”

Are you telling me that they havent even begun rehabilitation of the damaged tracks following the 2018/2019 fires? I'm assuming this is referring to the Anne, E Arthurs and maybe Yoyo and Farmhouse tracks.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Neo » Mon 13 Apr, 2020 6:57 pm

Anyone got a link to the tender website! Great reason to go camping somewhere nice, do a bit of work ;)
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby ghosta » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 8:48 am

Perhaps good news on the way with the Premier today to elaborate on his recovery plan which initially will involve the "opening up of green spaces". Hopefully reserves and parks.

https://m.dailymercury.com.au/news/nw-h ... e/4005613/
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 9:30 am

bogholesbuckethats wrote:
Rehabilitation work on park walks, roads and bridges that were damaged by recent bushfires will be undertaken while Tasmania's national parks are closed.

The Mercury

Are you surprised it took this long? Tracks that don't make money get forgotten all too easily sadly.

As far as I know there's no work on the tracks off the Arve road area. It's the Anne area thats getting all the attention.

A SILVER lining to the closure of Tasmanian national parks will be improved infrastructure when they reopen.

Environment Minister Roger Jaensch said Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service was taking advantage of the closure to undertake rehabilitation work on park walks, roads and bridges that were damaged by recent bushfires.

“Tenders will be called during the coming weeks for a range of projects in southern Tasmania where the fires damaged more than 117 kilometres of walking tracks and 119 kilometres of roads, bridges and other PWS assets,” Mr Jaensch said.

“The rehabilitation work will include projects such as clearing and track rebuilding. This work will help generate jobs and economic activity in regional Tasmania and help the tourism industry rebound strongly when the coronavirus emergency has passed.”

Are you telling me that they havent even begun rehabilitation of the damaged tracks following the 2018/2019 fires? I'm assuming this is referring to the Anne, E Arthurs and maybe Yoyo and Farmhouse tracks.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 2:20 pm

bogholesbuckethats wrote:

The Mercury

That's my understanding, and all the while erosion has created further problems as have a few bad apples that have been going in there - Anne at least. PWS has a serious priority problem when they keep building bigger carparks and toilet blocks while allowing critical infrastructure to deteriorate, ultimately damaging the environment.
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby CBee » Thu 30 Apr, 2020 3:56 pm

Mt. Anne circuit track, was undergoing work for reopening in a fairly short time, as the 1st of March, I was told by a Ranger. True, some people still walked on the closed track, as I saw few cars parked at carpark.
CBee

Region: Queensland

Postby Tas Tom » Fri 01 May, 2020 7:20 pm

All,

While we're still waiting to get out into our National Parks again it's well worth taking a deep breath and having a look on youtube at the Wandering Foxbat series of videos (taken from a light aircraft) of many of Tassies best mountains. Some good stuff here....

Might even give you a few new ideas heading forward.....
Less Work, More Walk
Tas Tom
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 04 May, 2020 10:32 am

Similarly, there are a few nice "Armchair Bushwalks" (videos and slide shows) posted by Boots 'n' All at:

https://bootsnall.sutas.org.au/Pages/Armchair_Walks.htm

Including a slideshow of a 1937 walk through the Overland Track.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby RicktheHuman » Mon 04 May, 2020 10:50 am

Tas Tom wrote:All,

While we're still waiting to get out into our National Parks again it's well worth taking a deep breath and having a look on youtube at the Wandering Foxbat series of videos (taken from a light aircraft) of many of Tassies best mountains. Some good stuff here....

Might even give you a few new ideas heading forward.....

I think I've watched all of the Wandering Foxbat vids. The Western Arthurs one in particular is great.
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Fri 08 May, 2020 3:54 pm

On May 11 ... National Parks and reserves will open to residents who live no more than 30km away.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby werobertson » Fri 08 May, 2020 4:33 pm

From PWS Facebook Page

In March, a tough decision was made to close all PWS national parks and reserves across Tasmania to limit non-essential travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. We understand this has been difficult for our nature-loving community who enjoy a wide variety of recreational uses, including bushwalking, running and swimming in the natural spaces around us.
With strict physical distancing and group gathering restrictions now embedded in our daily lives, limited access to Tasmania’s national parks and reserves will be permitted from Monday 11 May, for the purpose of local exercise only.
So, what does this all mean?
• You may exercise at your local national park or reserve. You can either walk, cycle or run to your nearest park or reserve, and if this is not possible, drive to one within 30 kilometres of your place of residence
• You must return home after you have completed your exercise and only day use is permitted.
• Gathering for picnics or other recreational activities remains prohibited.
• If carparks are full, please move on and return at another time.
• Surfing and swimming are allowed.
• Physical distancing of at least 1.5 metres between each other must be adhered to and groups are limited to two people, except for household members. Visitor centres and campgrounds remain closed until further notice.
For more information visit our website at www.parks.tas.gov.au
Please note that Wellington Park will re-open but the Pinnacle Road will remain closed to vehicle traffic.
werobertson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MrWalker » Fri 08 May, 2020 4:35 pm

Nuts wrote:On May 11 ... National Parks and reserves will open to residents who live no more than 30km away.

So we can expect 70,000 people in Trevallyn reserve on Monday. :roll:
MrWalker

Postby Warin » Fri 08 May, 2020 6:38 pm

MrWalker wrote:
Nuts wrote:On May 11 ... National Parks and reserves will open to residents who live no more than 30km away.

So we can expect 70,000 people in Trevallyn reserve on Monday. :roll:

:?

Yep. Well.

Lead photo is the mad Belgium ...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-08/ ... e/12229696

My picks...

May 18 onwards;
Park exercise equipment and playgrounds, pools and boot camps will open for up to 10 people
Restaurants and cafes can open and seat up to 10 people at a time with table service and social distancing
Libraries and local community facilities will open for up to 10 people

June 15 onwards;
Camping, overnight boating and visits to shacks are allowed
Border controls remain in place (when will they reopen to mainlanders?)
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 May, 2020 8:00 am

So that's a bit over five weeks until we can do overnight trips. Time to plan a winter Overlander, methinks.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 09 May, 2020 8:25 am

north-north-west wrote:So that's a bit over five weeks until we can do overnight trips. Time to plan a winter Overlander, methinks.

Yep but it's all relevant to the outbreaks we have along the way. Can and likely will see things open and close a few times between now and our freedom.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 May, 2020 10:36 am

Oh yes, it's going to be like a cat playing with a mouse - catch and release, catch and release. And how much do you want to bet that they'll use it as an excuse to shut down public access when there are inconvenient protests about logging etc planned.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sat 09 May, 2020 5:28 pm

As far as I'm aware the 30k rule hasn't been flagged to change (?), so camping withing 30k's. I'm taking that also as by the crow line rather than odometer kilometers, which may squeeze in Narawntapu from Dev and Ben Lomond from Launnie.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sat 09 May, 2020 6:23 pm

Nuts wrote:As far as I'm aware the 30k rule hasn't been flagged to change (?), so camping withing 30k's. I'm taking that also as by the crow line rather than odometer kilometers, which may squeeze in Narawntapu from Dev and Ben Lomond from Launnie.

That's OK. I can launch the kayak anywhere between here and Pirates Bay/Nubeena and paddle around. Been meaning to explore the inside coast of Forestier and Tasman Peninsulas anyway and there are plenty of good campsites along the way.

But I think they'll let us start travelling a little further by mid-July.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 May, 2020 10:56 am

A quick map with some buffers every 10kms

Slobart.PNG
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 May, 2020 10:57 am

Launy.PNG
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 May, 2020 10:57 am

Devo.PNG
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Sun 10 May, 2020 2:31 pm

That's nice. I can do Cape Raoul or head south along the coast track to Fortescue. Fortescue itself would still be out of bounds for driving but, even if the distance limit isn't changed, once camping trips are allowed I could walk the whole coast track and the Cape Pillar loop.

Thanks for the maps.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby benfazza » Sun 10 May, 2020 5:16 pm

On the PWS website under FAQ's it states:
How do I know if a national park/ reserve is within 30km of my primary residence?

When deciding if a park is within 30km you need to consider the distance by road.

Driving to a park entry must not exceed 30km. The 30km distance by road applies specifically to travel by vehicle. Once at the park you may walk or ride on the tracks and trails for more than 30km, but only during the day - not overnight.

There is no limit or restriction on the distance you may walk or ride a bicycle to a park from your place of residence.

So forget about the radius, it's the distance travelled by road vehicle that the 30km is referring to. Interesting the last sentence " There is no limit or restriction on the distance you may walk or ride a bicycle to a park from your place of residence". So I presume its OK to walk or ride from Hobart to Lake St Clair and go for a walk.....just as long as its all done in a day! :lol:... Do you think it would be OK to fly my helicopter into the park instead?
benfazza
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Nuts » Sun 10 May, 2020 6:28 pm

Yeah right, clutching at straws. So then there really was little point in 'opening national parks' then :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 10 May, 2020 9:37 pm

Blimey, they are making it hard! Just when I made an online page to make it easy :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://wyatt-family.com/temp/Covid30Kms ... iples.html

I cant imagine I will find any free isochrone or isodistance apps online to calculate travel by time (30 minutes) or distance (30kms)
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Sun 10 May, 2020 11:40 pm

The legislation in Queensland states the distance is by radius - so not by road there. I think you need to contact your local state member and complain.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby matagi » Mon 11 May, 2020 7:37 am

And for those who wish to double check, here is the relevant document (found at https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/resources )
Attachments
Stay-at-home-requirements-No.-4-9-May-20.pdf
(124.37 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 May, 2020 8:06 am

*&%$#! ludicrous. Does it apply to all TasPAWS managed reserves? What about kunanyi? And how many people actually live within a 30km drive of a National Park?

Yes, I know, read the whole document before you rant. Still, it's just too limited. Even MacGregor is probably still out of range for me by those criteria. It's useless for the majority of people.

eta: It doesn't specify which reserves have been re-opened. Also, "between sunrise and sunset". So you can't even have a torchlight finish. In fact, technically you can''t even do a dusk fungus hunt or midnight aurora photo session.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MrWalker » Mon 11 May, 2020 8:15 am

To avoid having everyone head to the the only national park or major reserve near their home city, you should note that a lot of other minor reserves that have been closed are now open. These may not have the amazing scenery of the big ones, but they often have nice waterfalls, or just lots of cute fungi at this time of year.

Try using Stepscape https://www.cowirrie.com/stepscape/

When you find a walk that you think might be OK, click on the marker for that walk, then select "Show driving directions". This pops off to Google maps, where you can enter your home address and get the exact distance to the carpark.
MrWalker

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania