Tasmanian Parks Closed

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Tasmanian Parks Closed

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 11 May, 2020 8:19 am

A token gesture so they can be seen to be doing something to ease the burden of lockdown....

It is pointless, but I guess it's a start. I just hope as long as case numbers stay low they continue to ease the leash and let us out to play in the next month or so.

Most likely when overnight camping is allowed again which I think was mid July.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby MrWalker » Mon 11 May, 2020 8:24 am

north-north-west wrote:It doesn't specify which reserves have been re-opened. Also, "between sunrise and sunset". So you can't even have a torchlight finish. In fact, technically you can''t even do a dusk fungus hunt or midnight aurora photo session.

Just assume all parks and reserves are now open, unless closed for some other reason, such as fires.

That "finish exercise by sunset" bit is a real pain. There is no sense at all in that rule. I had been on a recent walk and found this great fungus, that someone said is probably a glow-in-the-dark type. But now I can't sneak back after dark when no-one will be around to check. By the time the curfew ends it will probably be gone.
MrWalker
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tastrax » Mon 11 May, 2020 8:49 am

Warin wrote:The legislation in Queensland states the distance is by radius - so not by road there. I think you need to contact your local state member and complain.

A special page for the QLD folks :D :D - http://wyatt-family.com/temp/Covid_QLD.html
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 May, 2020 10:28 am

Nice work Phil :)

So, I can appreciate the strategy, push a few from the nest and see what happens. And how complicated things can get when trying to be egalitarian about the rules. And agree, it could be disastrous to give entire cities access to their closest popular park.

But parks are places for dispersed recreation, not gathering. Visiting them, even overnight, would seem a great activity to first encourage, or without too much loss of control. Especially given the state border closures. And a servo visit is a servo visit. Scrap the distances and just open the activity? (either would be policed.. or not).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Mon 11 May, 2020 10:33 am

Nuts wrote:Nice work Phil :)

So, I can appreciate the strategy, push a few from the nest and see what happens. And how complicated things can get when trying to be egalitarian about the rules. And agree, it could be disastrous to give entire cities access to their closest popular park.

But parks are places for dispersed recreation, not gathering. Visiting them, even overnight, would seem a great activity to first encourage, or without too much loss of control. Especially given the state border closures. And a servo visit is a servo visit. Scrap the distances and just open the activity? (either would be policed.. or not).

Totally agree with you there nuts.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 11 May, 2020 11:53 am

It's hard to imagine how much more stupid our decision makers could be.

So now ~half of the Tasmanian population can visit one national park (Wellington) and the other ~half cannot visit any national park.

So one park will be chockers (or as full a social-distancing allows), and the other parks will remain virtually empty. How does that promote sensible social distancing?

PS. OK so I just realised that Wellington is not actually a national park (I had always thought it was). My bad. But it's at least somewhere that Hobartian bushwalkers can do some walking. No other Tasmanian city has a bushwalking-suitable park within 30km that I can think of (Trevallyn in Launceston is not what I'd class as bushwalking, although others may disagree).

Seriously, there are no significant numbers of international or interstate visitors in Tasmania, so if you open up all national parks to who ever wants to visit them, the numbers of people that actually do visit will be TINY in comparison to what they usually get... taking into account that most Tasmanians are clueless about how good our bushwalking is.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tastrax » Mon 11 May, 2020 12:22 pm

I think its more about opening some more exercise areas. Lots of 'reserves' are closed in the south because they are managed by PWS versus council managed which have always been open during the whole episode. These included regular dog walking places (like Peter Murrell Reserve) and some surf beaches (Clifton, Goats Bluff) that folks will now be able to use. I suspect some have still been in use by 'very locals' (ie over the back fence)

http://wyatt-family.com/temp/Covid_TAS.html

Queensland is way more relaxed - they are moving from 50kms, to 150, then 250kms.... and even more in the 'Outback regions'

http://wyatt-family.com/temp/Covid_QLD.html - refresh for the latest
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Mon 11 May, 2020 12:33 pm

I would hope that the Tassie Government would put out something as comprehensive as QLD - spells it all out

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/__data/a ... ionsQA.pdf
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby werobertson » Mon 11 May, 2020 2:33 pm

Lets hope that the distance we can travel gradually increases soon enough. I guess the 30km limit is in place now to prevent the unnecessary travel over long distances to other cities, and potentially carrying the disease unawarely with us. While it's positive signs now, we still need to be vigilant for the time being to prevent another outbreak.
werobertson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Thornbill » Mon 11 May, 2020 3:13 pm

I know it's dangerous to assume, but shall we venture down that path and assume the re-opening of camping and shacks on June 15 would coincide with being able to travel farther to parks and reserves? After all, not many people have shacks within 30kms of their home, so that date would seem to allow for greater travel within the state.
How would a cubist paint a flounder?
Thornbill
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby matagi » Mon 11 May, 2020 4:03 pm

Cradle Mountain Lodge just announced it is re-opening June 15th, so that would suggest travel distances will be increasing then.
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi

Postby ghosta » Mon 11 May, 2020 5:10 pm

Its easy to look enviously at easing of restrictions in some other states...they dont have a 5% death rate for the virus and a hospital system that has performed well below basic standards.
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Mon 11 May, 2020 5:18 pm

Son of a Beach wrote:PS. OK so I just realised that Wellington is not actually a national park (I had always thought it was). My bad. But it's at least somewhere that Hobartian bushwalkers can do some walking. No other Tasmanian city has a bushwalking-suitable park within 30km that I can think of (Trevallyn in Launceston is not what I'd class as bushwalking, although others may disagree).

Narawntapu for Devonportians?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby MrWalker » Mon 11 May, 2020 6:01 pm

north-north-west wrote:Narawntapu for Devonportians?

Nowhere near. It is 30km by air, but about 40km by car due to the big river inlet in the way.

Maybe they could ride a bike the last 10 km.
MrWalker

Postby Tortoise » Mon 11 May, 2020 7:11 pm

Dial Range works for us now. 18 cars in the Mt Montgomery carpark this arvo, with mountain-bikers the majority apparently. But we managed to avoid seeing all but 2 people once we left the carpark, with a bit off-track exploring. So good to sit on a mountain again. :D (First world issue, I realise, and I've been very grateful to be 'stuck' in such a beautiful place.) Chuckled as a father and daughter rode past us in the carpark, celebrating "They let us out!" Yay!!
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 12 May, 2020 8:03 am

ghosta wrote:Its easy to look enviously at easing of restrictions in some other states...they don't have a 5% death rate for the virus and a hospital system that has performed well below basic standards.

Our hospital system has been performing well below basic standards for years. Make that decades . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Nuts » Tue 12 May, 2020 3:11 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-11/ ... 7sl5E2FW8g

In my own ideal world I picture park management chaffing at the bit to get parks open. Be lobbying the case on fact and highlighting how (as we are at a stage in relaxing lock-downs) early re-opening presents an opportunity for distanced recreation unlike any other. And a unique opportunity to grow the local support base for our reserves in general. Heck! I'd even imagine them pushing for free entry.

Yet, I read of enforcing rules, imagine (and find myself checking into) the possibility that some select stakeholders already have been afforded a private timeline, hear of the potential for public service pay cuts and leave alterations and wonder if these motivated 're-opening'. So no reset there.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Wed 13 May, 2020 1:30 pm

So there seems to have been some confusion, going by the facebook comments. But the distances (being by road) are now quite clear.

What wasn't so clear, which I've been trying to get some more info on, is what happens next in that regard?

Parks don't seem to get another mention, at least in the roadmap to recovery? Accommodation will be opened but the travel distance, so far, seems to remain in place. As will any regional restriction. It would appear to be an assumption (with some related inferences) that you can travel further:

Roadmap-to-Recovery-timeline_A3.pdf
(35.67 KiB) Downloaded 332 times

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 1.36.14 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 1.36.14 pm.png (63.36 KiB) Viewed 14859 times

Is there another planning document or official mention somewhere? (asked and waiting)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TentPeg » Wed 13 May, 2020 6:44 pm

Seems pretty simple to me. The extension to shacks,camping and overnight boating removes the distance issue for traveling to walk by day or overnight.
The point of note is the restriction of twenty people at a location which may require some intervention at some of the public huts and shelters.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Wed 13 May, 2020 7:53 pm

Meh, huts can stay closed. Huts are at the other end of the infectious spectrum to 'camping' and somewhere to drop a WAG bag is all else that's necessary.

But no, those things aren't 'unrestricted travel'. I haven't found someone willing to confirm this (so far) either.
Not that authorities will have a lot of choice, given the accommodation places are now taking bookings.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Wed 13 May, 2020 8:18 pm

In June I reckon they are hedging their bets on open slather travel just in case there is an outbreak. If there is an outbreak, I reckon there may be some zones/regions etc where travel is OK and others not so much.

That's my two bobs worth
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby TentPeg » Wed 13 May, 2020 9:32 pm

yes - those items are unrestricted travel within the state as of that date - assuming no outbreaks - and the numbers are 20 or less.

If I live in Southport and have a shack in Marawah I can travel there - ergo unrestricted travel. This means I can go to a Park within the state, I can camp at a Park or reserve within the state and I can sail my boat to those Parks such as via Bathurst Harbour. Again seems pretty simple to me.
TentPeg
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Wed 13 May, 2020 10:43 pm

Yeah, fair enough TentPeg, (not intending to stir the pot) I understand that interpretation and you are most welcome to it. Dare I say the same things would be possible in a restricted area. I actually went looking for something definitive, more-so than the quirky, prescriptive examples of the roadmap eg. that unrestricted travel would be allowed, and thought that was something reasonable to expect (and that it was just as likely i had missed reading) given how defined the current restriction is and the point that some other activities may still be restricted or 'reviewed' in the final stage.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ghosta » Sat 16 May, 2020 9:41 pm

Seems Parks have disobeyed the governments directive and only opened some reserves. Went to Double Sandy Cape Reserve a few km from Bridport to take my grandaughter rock hopping along the foreshore and it was completely closed with the same sign used for the past month....reserve closed, gate locked and no access allowed.
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Nuts » Sun 17 May, 2020 12:42 pm

I've heard this from another area as well, It was suggested that someone just hadn't got around to moving the signage?

In regards to whether the roadmap includes lifting state-wide travel restrictions, still in the dark. Iv'e written to three related departments, the local member and just this morning, to the shadow minister.

Around social media people seem to be firm in their belief that travel will be unrestricted, and yet others just as adamant that it wont be :roll:
There are dozens of examples!

I'm not sure if fuzzy details are part of a strategy. It's ridiculous, yet not unimaginable, and i'm left with that feeling.

Personally, while it may not matter much to local walkers, I'd caution booking any future accommodation, commercial travel or activities from those who choose to take bookings at this time.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 17 May, 2020 5:46 pm

ghosta wrote:Seems Parks have disobeyed the governments directive and only opened some reserves. Went to Double Sandy Cape Reserve a few km from Bridport to take my grandaughter rock hopping along the foreshore and it was completely closed with the same sign used for the past month....reserve closed, gate locked and no access allowed.

Give 'em a ring at Scottsdale - (03) 6778 8520 to see what is happening
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Sun 17 May, 2020 7:18 pm

Signs were still up on the Lake Skinner track. I guess they just haven't got around to removing them.

The road to Mt Hartz is still closed. I'm guessing that no one lives within 30kms of the carpark.
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats

Postby ghosta » Mon 18 May, 2020 11:04 am

Rang number tastrax kindly posted...recorded message all parks and reserves closed until further notice.....WT *$&#.
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Mon 18 May, 2020 11:38 am

Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ghosta » Mon 18 May, 2020 12:45 pm

Yes..went to ministers office as next level were not answering phone.

Was advised ALL reserves and parks that have campgrounds in them are all still closed.

The reserve I was trying to access has two parts, the distant part has areas where camping is allowed, so thats why its taboo to enter the area.
ghosta
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania