Location of these images

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Location of these images

Postby guyburns » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 5:25 am

I'm going through Dave's negatives one last time, to make sure I haven't missed scanning interesting images. And I had missed some interesting ones. PD222 was taken on a Launceston Walking Club trip sometime in the mid 1950s. I'm guessing that the peak in the centre distance is Flame Peak or High Rocky, but I can't work out from where it was taken. Two negs later on the film strip, there is a photo from on top of High Rocky.

From where was PD222 taken, and what is the peak in the centre?
PD222
PD222.jpg

The negative right next to PD222 is also very interesting, and shows where they camped. The woman on the left is a well-known Tasmanian. Free entry to my next AV night for the first responder who correctly identifies her!

PD122
PD122.jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Postby pazzar » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 10:05 am

Just a totally random guess - is it Jessie Luckman?
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 1:03 pm

Try 434813E 5298329N - looking into the Gell River as it comes out of the range with Mt Curly at the rear.
Although looking at Google Earth - maybe 42 27 49 S 146 12 25 E looks better.
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby guyburns » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 3:53 pm

No, the woman on the left is not Jessie Luckman.

Re PD222
Is that distant peak definitely Mt Curly?
I have been unable to find in Google Earth, a convincing location looking to Mt Curly from the north. The difficulties are:

• the rugged terrain in the foreground with multiple ravines and creeks
• Mt Curly high above the skyline, all by itself
• a barely visible, high rounded-peak in the middle distance, just above the foreground hills (see zoom below), between those hills and Mt Curly

PD222 (zoom).jpg
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby north-north-west » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 4:18 pm

That "middle-distance" mostly hidden peak looks like it's where the ridge leads that runs to the right from the centre rear peak. If the centre rear is Curly and the image is taken from the north, it could be Conical.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby eggs » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 7:44 pm

Pretty sure its Curly - and I could get a Google earth view like this - just have to realise the sharp rocky bits in the near field are flattened a lot in Google Earth.
The ravines are basically flattened out - but are recognised by the banding of rock versus trees. Compare GE with the State Aerial Photo on the List.

The ridge in front of Curly must be Perambulator Ridge - and it matches the rock patterning.
I think your peak is part of the near ridge - List shows a slight bump on the end above the cliffs.
If it was not part of that ridge - the ridge would be ending without a bump contradicting the contour pattern.

GellView.jpg
Arrows to actual ravines - ringed cliffline
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Mechanic-AL » Tue 28 Apr, 2020 8:46 pm

Is it Cecilie Thwaites ??
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken in the wind"?
Mechanic-AL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 5:44 am

Nancy Shaw?
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby guyburns » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks Eggs, your suggested location proved correct. Even though Google Earth doesn't give a very good representation of the area, the rocks you pointed out provided part confirmation, but the clincher were the two hazy horizontal ridges directly in front of Mt Curly. They provide a very close match.

Re the woman: not Nancy Shaw, not Cecilie Thwaites.
One more hint before I tell: she is still alive, and her surname would be widely recognised. In fact, her first name almost defines her.
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Jon MS » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 9:18 am

Re the woman, is it Fran, Dave's wife?

Also, back when I was doing my PhD on the history of fire in SW Tas I had several long conversations with Dave P re his observations on fire and changes in the vegetation of SW Tas.

It has been great to follow this discussion and I would love to see copies of the photos once they have been scanned ane geo-located.

Is there any chance that they could be put up on this site in sequence???
Jon MS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby tastrax » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 10:14 am

Could the lady be Melva Truchanas
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby guyburns » Wed 29 Apr, 2020 6:53 pm

TasTrax – you're the winner of free entry to my next AV. It's Melva. And upon that, hangs a tale.

I asked my partner, Jenny, to ring Melva today, to ask if she would be willing to identify some of the people in Dave's photos. Responders on this website are the experts on location, but it's Chris, Fran and Melva who are "experts" on the people.

Melva said on the phone: "That particular bushwalk was my most memorable". She said it was a long trip from "Bronte Park" to Maydena, in either 1950 or 1952. I was a bit sus about the date, because on Dave's neg folder it says "Spires and Gell Valley, late 1950s". Amongst the negatives are photos of Lindsay Crawford. Now I knew for sure that Lindsay did a similar trip at Christmas 1952, because I have 150 of his Kodachrome's locked away in another room, for scanning next year as an AV. And each one is labelled "Xmas 1952". But I didn't recall seeing any of Melva or Dave. So who to believe? Were the "late 1950s" negatives by Dave of the same trip as the Kodachrome "Xmas 1952" by Lindsay. I had to have a look at the slides.

And there was Dave… and there was Melva. My goodness. Now there are Kodachrome's of the same trip.

Unfortunately for me, that connection now means I'll have to begin scanning Lindsay's slides to become part of the Pedder show. His slides are important enough to warrant a separate AV, but might I be able to connect them to Journeys To Pedder? Now I have the connection -- through Lindsay, Dave and Melva. In the first half, Chris Binks will be introducing the South West in the early 1950s: trips to Mt Anne (Lindsay's slides), Frenchmans (Lindsay's slides), his first ascents of South Geryon and The Foresight (not really in the SW, but close enough), the POW trip (with Dave), Gordon Vale and Ernie Bond, Lake Pedder and Frankland Range (with Dave), Propsting Range, and now a magnificent trip with Melva from Butlers Gorge down past the Gell, over to the POW, back to The Spires, out the Vale of Rasselas, and ending up camped by a creek near Maydena (see this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30971).

If Melva is agreeable, I'll be scripting Chris to introduce her, and then she'll narrate her Xmas 1952 trip to the backdrop of Lindsay's slides and Dave's negatives.

Expect some more questions about locations from that trip. But I'll start a new thread to deal with those.

PHOTOS
It has been great to follow this discussion and I would love to see copies of the photos once they have been scanned and geo-located. Is there any chance that they could be put up on this site in sequence???

The bad news: very little chance of the photos ending up on this site. They are destined to become a part of Journeys To Pedder, a Blu-ray, and at the same time they'll be reproduced in a large-format book: The Black and White Negatives of Chris Binks and Dave Pinkard. Three copies only (unless you've got $600+), hand bound by yours truly (see https://sites.google.com/site/tanksinke ... tanksinker).

The good news: the print file for the above book will be made freely available as a PDF, 200-300 pages, at full resolution, around 5-10 GB in size. And everyone who has contributed to location details, will be acknowledged.

THANKS
Thanks again for all the contributions. I appreciate your enthusiasm for solving location conundrums. It is quite important that I know as much as possible about each photo before I start scripting. Not much detail will appear in the Blu-ray, but every last bit of info about the photos will appear in the book.

If you'd like to be a location proofreader for the book, please gmail me at gdburns.
guyburns
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Previous

Return to Tasmania