Walk ideas - 2 to 3 nights, Sep school holidays

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walk ideas - 2 to 3 nights, Sep school holidays

Postby Mark31 » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi there

I'm organising to go on a bushwalk in the September school holidays in Tasmania.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for a good bushwalk for two adults and one 11 year old, two to three nights.

My son is pretty sturdy and stoic when it's come to any day trips we've done, but would be his first overnight camping trip and I'd like him to enjoy it, so not too many kms per day, leaving time to enjoy the surrounds. He's specifically asked to go bushwalking in a cold place at a cold time of year, but September will have to do him. He doesn't mind a few other people around but would prefer to avoid larger crowds.

I'm also planning a day trip to the snow somewhere, if there is still snow around, but I'm not personally keen on overnighting in a snowy area.

Thanks!
Mark31
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Walk ideas - 2 to 3 nights, Sep school holidays

Postby Tazz81 » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 5:27 pm

The Walls would be perfect for what you are trying to achieve. Short walk into Wild Dog Ck, set up camp there then explore for 2 days. May be a bit cold in September- will be snow about though!

Another option would be to head to Pine Valley and set up in the hut there for a couple of nights. From there you can head up to the labyrinth for a look around and have a warm hut to come home too.

Otherwise go to Maria Is and camp at French’s Farm.
Tazz81
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Tortoise » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 6:04 pm

Hi Mark,
+1 for the Walls of Jerusalem. A very special place, plenty of options for walking from a base camp (which would be 6 km in at Wild Dog Creek, or a bit more at Dixons Kingdom). If you have a hire car, it needs to be one you're allowed to take on dirt roads (not all companies have those).

Pine Valley could also be a great choice, but it will cost a lot more, if you get the boat up Lake St Clair to Narcissus. $50 per person each way, and they can be very unreliable in non-peak season. They can just cancel boats at the last minute if they have less than 6 people, unless you're happy to pay $300 each way. They also have to cancel the boat if the weather is not good enough. On the other hand, if you get the boat in, and plan to walk out, you'll know where you stand. You can camp at Echo Point on the way out.
You might still have snow at Pine Valley, more likely up higher on mountains you can see from the helipad. How is your navigating? The Labyrinth isn't a place to be when the mist comes in if you're not excellent at it. I'd strongly recommend a GPS, as it's tricky to find the way down if the track has enough snow on it. Someone disappeared there a few years ago in a snow storm, and was never found. :( I'd choose the Acropolis from Pine Valley instead, if visibility was going to be dodgy. You can go up the track as far as you want if there's snow, without going all the way to the top. You may have wonderful views from the plateau part way up.

Lees Paddocks is another favourite place for beginners. You need to get permission from the owners, which is easy as long as they don't have a family do on at the same time. It's 7 kms easy walking in, with a hut for shelter if you need it. You could well have snow on the mountains that tower over the paddocks, and on Pelion East, which is (sometimes!) visible up the valley. You can explore waterfalls in the area, go upstream to check out Waddleys Hut, and/or go up the 'Venetian Blind' track, to Lake Ayr +/- Pelion hut. The road in is still 2wd, but getting pretty rough.

Or, you could do the 12 kms up the Arm River track to Pelion hut. You could then do day walks up Oakleigh (fantastic!) or maybe to Pelion Gap or partway up Pelion East if he's up to it. Stunning if there's still snow about. You could start your son dreaming of doing the Overland Track one day, and meet some people who were doing it.

And absolutely have a plan D, on the east coast, in case of poor conditions. Another choice would be Freycinet. E.g. 2 nights the other end of Wineglass Bay, with a day walk up Mt Graham in between.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 25 Feb, 2020 6:09 pm

Oh, I forgot Scott Kilvert hut, at Cradle. The hordes doing the Overland track should be back to Waterfall Valley by then, if they complete the new hut in time. Then Scott Kilvert will revert to normal. There are several tent platforms, as well as the 'loft' in the hut that can comfortably sleep a bunch of people. No dirt road driving needed, and stunning places to walk around there.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark31 » Thu 27 Feb, 2020 7:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Pine Valley sounds especially appealing, although it will definitely need a back up plan in case of poor weather. I don't know if I'm qualified to rate my own navigation skills, and not something I'd take any risks on with someone in my care.

I did have Freycinet as a B list idea. We go out to Girraween often enough though, which is also granite country so was looking for something more quintessentially Tasmanian. I'll do a bit more research on Maria Island.
Mark31
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Return to Tasmania