Precipitous Bluff

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Precipitous Bluff

Postby Warin » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 4:28 pm

Higgs track person had a working phone. Most phones these days have a compass function, and most are capable of having a map.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tortoise » Mon 17 Feb, 2020 4:34 pm

Warin wrote:Higgs track person had a working phone. Most phones these days have a compass function, and most are capable of having a map.

I think your average non-serious bushwalker wouldn't know how to use the former, and wouldn't have a useful map available to them.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:39 am

Warin wrote:Higgs track person had a working phone. Most phones these days have a compass function, and most are capable of having a map.

My experience with phone compasses has not inspired me with confidence in their utility. Wildly inaccurate would be the best description - I have sat in a group of people all looking at their phone compasses trying to locate North and had differences up to 180 degrees!
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Previous

Return to Tasmania