Magg 17 Track Access to Pillinger - conditions?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Magg 17 Track Access to Pillinger - conditions?

Postby Crawfinator » Mon 18 Nov, 2019 2:27 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had done this track lately, was thinking of taking kids through this way as opposed to Arm river due to less ascent, but don't want to ruin their experience with too much scrub/windfall....

Any recent experience would be appreciated!
Crawfinator
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Magg 17 Track Access to Pillinger - conditions?

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 18 Nov, 2019 2:41 pm

Have you seen the other topic on this at: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30097

I can't comment on the Magg 17 track itself, but I took my kids (and my mate took his kids) into the Pelion area (and climbed Doris) via the Arm River Track a few weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at the track work that had been done to make the ascent a lot easier than it used to be. The 6 kids ranged from 9 to 16, and none of them had any problems with it.

There is still a long constant up-hill slog for a while, but instead of going directly up the slope at fairly extreme steepness (is that a word), it now zig-zags up the slope at a more moderate steepness. And the track is very well formed (ie, flat surface as opposed to rough/rugged surface) and it is quite easy to walk on. It's some very impressive track work!

If you look carefully, you can still see where the old track was where each 'zig' or 'zag' crosses its path, and it's a good reminder of just how much easier the upgraded track is.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Re: Magg 17 Track Access to Pillinger - conditions?

Postby morrisonbrewery » Mon 18 Nov, 2019 2:55 pm

I took our 5 and 7 year olds through the Arm a couple of years ago, easy going for them with the new switchbacks.
morrisonbrewery
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania