Walls of Jerusalem - in via Fish R/out via Lake Myrtle

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walls of Jerusalem - in via Fish R/out via Lake Myrtle

Postby IDP » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 7:52 am

Hi all,

Interested in some feedback (and/or any suggested amendments) re a WoJ circuit I'm planning for this coming December with my 13yo daughter. She's pretty experienced and resilient at extended walks. She hasn't been to WoJ before, though I have several times but not to the Rogoona/Lake Myrtle area.

I didn't want to just go in/out via Fish R access nor return just via Lake Adelaide

Hence I was thinking of:
Day 1 in via usual Fish River access to Dixons Kingdom
Day 2 remain at Dixons Kingdom to visit King Davids, Mt Jerusalem, Temple and generally explore inner Walls area.
Day 3 to southern end Lake Adelaide via Lake Ball (reasonably short, so option to explore inner Walls area some more in the morning then leave around lunchtime)
Day 4 to northern end of Lake Myrtle via Lake Meston (with side trip en route to Rogoona)
Day 5 out via Lake Bill, then 7-odd km walk up Mersey Forest Rd back to Fish R carpark

I realise that the last 7 km on the Mersey Forest Rd isn't that exciting an end to the trip.

Any thoughts on improving that itinerary?
Other quick questions:
Is the best take off point for Rogoona from the saddle above Lake Meston or closer to Lake Myrtle (as described in Abels book)? Probable not that important as countryside seems pretty open walking
Is there much difference scenic-wise in campsites at southern end Lake Adelaide or northern end of Lake Meston?

Thanks for any thoughts.
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Walls of Jerusalem - in via Fish R/out via Lake Myrtle

Postby philm » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 8:14 am

I did a similar trip with my daughter who was aged 14 at the time. The trip plan looks good with plenty of time so you can relax and enjoy the walk.
We went up Rogoona from the saddle above Lake Meston and took the track up from the hit then off track to the summit
The track out via Lake Myrtle was fairly easy to follow but in some sections we lost the track but it was easy to pick it up again. This was a couple of years ago and I understand some track clearing has occurred since. Others may be able to update you on this
We stayed at the Northern end of Lake Meston it was a magic spot with views down the lake.
We went end of January and it was very warm with temps over 30 degrees in the day plenty of walkers cut their trips short
We ended up walking early in the day then had a few swims in the hot afternoons. In the heat there were plenty of tigers around so just had to watch where we were walking!
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby IDP » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 10:03 am

Many thanks for the reply
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Rexyviney36 » Wed 23 Oct, 2019 12:43 pm

+1 for Northern end of Meston. It's magic. I've never climbed Rogoona so can't help there. There are some awesome campsites at the northern end of Lake Myrtle as well with the lake and mountain for views.

If you have an option for someone to leave a car at the other carpark I'd go with that...walking the road in December would seem like torture to me.
Rexyviney36
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby bushwalker zane » Sat 26 Oct, 2019 11:01 am

Lovely and pretty common itinerary! I also think that Lake Meston is the better option for camping. The beach and island are gorgeous, lots of fun for swimming. There is good camping at the bottom of Lake Adelaide, but it's worth the extra bit of time to get to Meston, and that will be handy for exploring Rogoona the next day.

The turn off up Rogoona is pretty obvious. Once you get to the top of the climb out of Meston you'll enter a small valley that's pretty flat and filled with coral fern and teatree. The turn off to Rogoona is marked by a large cairn with sticks in it. The track then heads up on the right. Be weary of lots of false cairns up on the Rogoona plateau, but it is open and easy walking. If it's a bit foggy or rainy it will make navigation harder. The view is lovely and worth it on a good day!

There has indeed been some track work on Blizzard Plains, so it's not as muddy or braided as it used to be. I've done that road bash before, and while it's not the best way to end a trip it doesn't take too long.
bushwalker zane
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby IDP » Sun 27 Oct, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks Zane,
Yes I haven't been to Rogoona before and the pics I've seen suggest it is indeed a lovely viewpoint.
Thanks again for the info
IDP
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania