Arthurs traverse transport logistics

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Arthurs traverse transport logistics

Postby Drew » Sat 09 Nov, 2019 4:27 pm

Getting back to the transport logistics... The car transport is solved given that we'll now be doing a circuit and that my friend will have her car in Tassie. Now I'm a bit stuck about booking my flight back to Melb, not doing how many days we'll take.

Given how expensive flexible flights are, I think I'm leaning towards not booking at all and figuring it out once the walk is done, with the risk of a flight in early Jan being very expensive 1 day ahead.

But I'm wondering if there's much reception on the range? If so I could probably book a few days ahead once I know how we're progressing.

Thanks!
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby norts » Sat 09 Nov, 2019 5:22 pm

What about going back on the ferry?
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tastrax » Sat 09 Nov, 2019 8:59 pm

There is also a thread on mobile coverage...but check the dates as some messages are quite old

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=415#p2555
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Orion » Sun 10 Nov, 2019 3:40 am

Drew wrote:Given how expensive flexible flights are, I think I'm leaning towards not booking at all and figuring it out once the walk is done, with the risk of a flight in early Jan being very expensive 1 day ahead.

But I'm wondering if there's much reception on the range? If so I could probably book a few days ahead once I know how we're progressing.

I booked a car rental from the high spot just before dropping into Lake Sirona. The reception was good enough but it was drizzling a bit which made operating the phone a nuisance.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Drew » Sun 10 Nov, 2019 8:37 am

norts wrote:What about going back on the ferry?

The ferry looks a lot more expensive than flying. Not to mention getting to Devonport...

There is also a thread on mobile coverage...but check the dates as some messages are quite old

Thanks tastrax. Yes, a bit old but one post mentions coverage on the Arthurs peaks. However I'm not with Telstra so maybe not so useful.

I booked a car rental from the high spot just before dropping into Lake Sirona. The reception was good enough but it was drizzling a bit which made operating the phone a nuisance.

Thanks Orion. Was that with Telstra? I guess I need internet more than phone to be able to book a Jetstar or Tiger flight.
Drew

Region: Victoria

Postby Orion » Sun 10 Nov, 2019 12:32 pm

Drew wrote:Thanks Orion. Was that with Telstra? I guess I need internet more than phone to be able to book a Jetstar or Tiger flight.

Yes, Telstra 4G. I suppose I could have booked a car via phone call but that didn't even occur to me at the time. Calling Jetstar would likely be a nightmare.

There were other places I got 4G but I don't remember the specific spots. Tops of peaks mainly.
Orion
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Previous

Return to Tasmania