Easy multi day walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Easy multi day walk

Postby melanie » Tue 10 Nov, 2009 5:58 pm

OK
First time poster, so be kind.
I really like doing multi-day walks, but my lungs don't (the joys of asthma) and the curse of vertigo.
I read of amazing walks that I'd love to do, but they all involve scaling heights and the awful words "moderate fitness".

Walking on flat is no problem - I can walk for hours. I can get up 9 flights of stairs - but have to break in the middle, so I'm not even vaguely fit and don't pretend to be. So the odd short climb is OK, just not lots of them or long ones.
(Yes, yes, I know there's oodles of people with asthma that can run up Mt Everest, I'm just not one of them.)
My theory is that I will get there eventually, just not terribly quickly.

So my humble petition to the forum is - is there a multi-day walk in Tasmania that is possible given these restrictions?
I realise that this will mean that it's a guided walk, but I can live with that. If you can tell me the track, I can find the company.

So, now that you've stopped laughing, any ideas?
melanie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Easy multi day walk

Postby dee_legg » Tue 10 Nov, 2009 6:19 pm

If you really are keen to go down the guiding path then Bay of Fires Walks sounds suitable. It's all on beaches with a few head land sections; the greatest climb of the whole walk is a 40m rise over about 250-300m. I admit, I am a guide for this company, so I'm a bit biased however I don't think you necessarily need to be guided to manage. You could easily do some walks on Freycinet Peninsula... From the main car park you could do a day down to Cooks Beach which is all on beaches or low lying coastal bushland, spend the night there at the new hut then walk back the same way. This would give you a great experience of the area but involves now significant hills! You could even continue the walk further without packs by heading further south from Cooks to Bryans Corner or on the way to or from Cooks you could detour across the isthmus and back to Wineglass. Other options would be to walk from Cockle Creek to South Cape Bay, a bit hillier but still mostly flat, well within the range of an inexperienced walkers, it's commonly done by scout groups.
In short, I think beaches will be good options for you, lucky Tassie has many very nice ones!
Hope you find something to suit you, and if you need more details about the Bay of Fires feel free to ask for head to http://www.bayoffires.com.au
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby wello » Tue 10 Nov, 2009 9:02 pm

Another option could be planned around the southern end of the overland track. The section from the Lake St Clair to Bert Nichols hut is pretty flat and passes through some beautiful rainforest around the lake shore. Beyond the top end of the lake is some more open forest and some good views of various peaks. Beyond Bret Nichols hut there's an unhill section to Du Cane gap and then down the other side to some great waterfalls (all this might be a bit much, but you should be warmed up by this stage!)

Other alternatives would be to take side trips off the main overland track and head to either Lake Marion or Pine Valley. These are both undulating, but without sustained climbs. More great forest and views from the valleys in places.

There's an opportunity to take a ferry along the lake cutting out the need to walk the lake shore twice.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby melanie » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 1:30 pm

Marvellous - thanks wello & dee-legg very much for your information.
I shall investigate further !
melanie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Chrisbulldog » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 3:44 pm

Another suggestion ive thought of Melanie is Lees Paddocks , the subject of much discussion here. It has been described in some books as " downhill both ways" , and generally speaking that us true , although there a couple of small ridges on the way. Although not a multi day walk , what a lot of parties do is walk out there (approx 3 hours), camp , spend the next day exploring the paddocks ( all flat) , then walk out the next day. Plenty of places to rest up too along the way. Good luck
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drifting » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 7:11 pm

there's extended walks up onto the plateau around Pelion too, if you're up for it.
All good things are wild, and free.
Drifting
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tomberli » Fri 13 Nov, 2009 10:20 pm

melanie wrote:I'm not even vaguely fit and don't pretend to be. So the odd short climb is OK, just not lots of them or long ones.
(Yes, yes, I know there's oodles of people with asthma that can run up Mt Everest, I'm just not one of them.)

If she clearly says that extended uphill sections are not an option, then suggesting she should go into Pelion may lead to frustrations on her part later... Sorry, not trying to be annoying but I think she may have the wrong expectations when asking for a flat walk and then finding herself climbing up to Pelion plains....
Picasa-Albums from Tassie, Antarctica, the Arctic and more
tomberli
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby flyfisher » Sat 14 Nov, 2009 4:41 pm

If you like walking at 1000m or more you can drive to Lake Ada and take the track around Ada lagoon and wander on as far as you like.You can even walk to the W O J which you can see from L Ada.The terrain is only undulating with not much in the way of hills at all. There are nice informal campsites at Talleh Lagoons, Lake Fanny. and Lake Antimony to name a few and there are many others.If you can read a map the navigation is pretty easy. 25K maps of Ada, pillans etc are excellent and easy to follow.The weather can get a bit yuk at times , like much of our high areas but check BOM Tas website for a pretty good forecast.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Return to Tasmania