Jeffries Track Condition (Lachlan)

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jeffries Track Condition (Lachlan)

Postby hutfinder » Thu 12 Sep, 2019 10:53 am

Anybody got any idea how far towards the East West Fire Trail you can get with a high clearance 4WD at the moment? Hoping to cut some time off a look at Fools Tarn and the surrounds from that side, wanting to make sure we can a) get up there and b) not block the access up for other road users if we park and walk. :D

Any info appreciated!
"The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness."
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Jeffries Track Condition (Lachlan)

Postby pazzar » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 1:35 pm

Surely access would be faster from Collinsvale, and less fire trail bashing. I haven't been up Jeffreys Track for a couple of years, but it was pretty rutted out back then, and I doubt it has improved much.
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see."
pazzar
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby RicktheHuman » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:08 pm

The East West trail is easily accessible from the Crab Tree side with a 4x4. To access from the Lachlan side you're going to need multiple modified 4x4's (winches and recovery equipment etc). Jefferies Track is in a bad state at present. Although you could make it far far enough to be within walking distance of Fool's Tarn
Were you planing on walking the East West or driving? There is room to park to the side in most places.
The East West is only opened to vehicles (with a permit and key from Parks) during the drier summer months and travelling from East to West (starting at Montrose Rd) is only permitted. I have driven it in that direction, as a means to get my wife's father to the summit of Collins Bonnet
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hutfinder » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the Info guys!

At present, the access via Suhrs road is closed, and having walked Myrtle Forest quite a few times we were just looking to mix things up a bit and try and approach from the other side - it doesn't sound like an option though :(

We weren't planning on driving the east west part of the track, just getting as close to it as we could, so we could spend the majority of time exploring around Fools Tarn, Mt Charles and so on but sounds like that might not be the most logical approach! Likely to have a fair few trees down too after all this wind too, I suppose.

Has anyone walked via Glen Dhu Fire trail, or Ringwood Road?
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RicktheHuman » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:29 pm

Driving down to the Crabtree side isn't an option? There's the Mountain River trail too....
I lika do da cha-cha
RicktheHuman
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby hutfinder » Fri 13 Sep, 2019 2:33 pm

It's an option! Just curious as to what the state of the other tracks are as they're a bit closer to home ( am in the upper derwent valley)
hutfinder
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Doonish » Thu 26 Sep, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry, a late reply - I went up Jeffries Track to access Patrick and Charles about three years ago. Road is bad, but standard 4WDs made it most of the way without trouble. We walked for an extra half hour or so to access the East/West Fire Trail. Nice variation on the long fire trail bash from the east, and heaps of time to explore the area. As has been mentioned, might not get quite as high up in the 4WDs now...a longer walk?
Doonish
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Fullers Bookshop

Return to Tasmania