2-way radios

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2-way radios

Postby Hot073 » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 9:02 am

Just wondering what people’s thoughts were on handheld 2-ways?Other than communicating between a group of hikers.
I’ve recently purchased a pair of 5 watt waterproof 2-ways and been testing out on the field.for instance I picked up people talking from the summit of Mt Rufus and also at Waterfall Valley Hut both in fairly bad weather.
Just thought they could be used as a secondary safety device too,especially if someone knows what channel you’re on if you happen to go missing or overdue.
Could possibly communicate with rescuers once they are in range or alert authorities to an emergency.
Just another option before setting of a plb.
The ones I have seem to have very good range and battery life is exceptional.
Thoughts?
Hot073
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: 2-way radios

Postby Gadgetgeek » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 9:22 am

UHF is still very line-of-sight, but from a practical standpoint, 5 watts is enough that "range" is not really as much of a concern as terrain is. As in, loosing that line of sight will get you before the range does in typical walking situations. If I was walking with a larger group then having a radio at the lead and rear would be a good option just to keep the group together, and allow people to have a bit more space. Especially if you are sharing gear among the group.

As far as alerting authorities, its not something I would put a lot of weight on, however if you were going to take the radios, I'd leave the planned channels on your leave-behind info so that in the case of a search, the authorities could be broadcasting on that channel. UHF is also a bit easier to train people on if you had a larger group, and there is a higher likelyhood of someone being nearer the radio than the person with the PLB. Having a note with the radio to transmit every 30 minutes or every 15 minutes for a pre-arranged pattern (20 seconds transmit, 20 seconds listen 3x) helps people from sitting on the transmit button and killing the battery.

Lower wattage UHFs like the little 0.5-1watt units are not super effective for serious walkers, but if I was planning a walk with a bunch of people who had kids, I might consider those size of radios for the little ones to keep on them which would allow them to walk a little farther from their parents, with the higher wattage radios still being front and back.

Certainly a useful tool if people are able to use them. Very often though my experience with them in casual situations is someone gets a bunch of chatter on their channel that they don't want to listen to (aussies have atrocious radio discipline in general) and so they turn the radio down or off, and then forget to turn it back on.

Having had to carry a UHF for work quite a lot, it needs to justify its weight. So unless you are making a plan for in-group communications (again, large group, or a high likelyhood of having to do a hasty search for a child or something) It really doesn't justify its weight in my mind. A Spot or a Garmin Inreach does a better job of remote comms at a better weight, but there is that cost factor. So there is a chance that carrying the handheld is a better option because its what you have, and its better than nothing. As with all things, there is a compromise, and YMMV.
Gadgetgeek
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Re: 2-way radios

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 01 Sep, 2019 9:23 am

I’ve used radios a lot in the field while in uniform, but I have no interest in carrying one while bushwalking.

Part of the reason I go bush is to get away from other people and not be connected 24x7.

I would consider it if I was taking younger kids and wanted to keep them amused.
Alternatively, if there was some reason you needed to co-ordinate with someone nearby (I’m struggling to think of a realistic use-case).

As a safety device, I think there are too many uncertainties to rely on as a primary device but could be of some minor use as a secondary device.

However, if you want to do it, go for it!

As always, walk your own path.

p.s. the safety channel for VHF is Channel 16. I doubt many land-dwellers monitor it regularly.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Return to Tasmania