Ted's Beach + Trappes Inlet Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Ted's Beach + Trappes Inlet Track

Postby weetbix456 » Tue 09 Jul, 2019 11:31 am

I was wandering about the the South-West recently, exploring short walk options along Gordon River Road - and found on some old maps a circuit track that looped around from Ted's Beach, Picnic Cove, hugging the lake shore of Trappes Inlet before linking back up with the road. I tried to find any trace of it, but could only really pick up a couple of old posts and some remains of markers/signs that seemed to indicate there was a track through there at some point. The majority of it that I could see is now well overgrown. Later on digging around for extra info - one map resource has the track marked as closed.

Does anyone have any historical information about this track/route - whether it was used predominantly for fishing, walking or vehicular - or when it was officially closed (I assume for re-veg) and why?

Thanks in advance!
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare
Region: Tasmania

Re: Ted's Beach + Trappes Inlet Track

Postby johnw » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:05 pm

I'm assuming this is not a sensitive location. Can't offer any historical info and given you've already done a recce this might not be much help, but I did a walk from across the road up onto Twelvetrees Range two or three years back. Coincidentally I took a few photos looking back in that direction from the service road going up (Jacks Track - which appears to miss linking to your mystery track end on GRR by about 50 metres. I think I probably parked almost on it). Depends on which layer is viewed on List Map as to whether it shows that track as closed.
PC276292 resized.jpg

PC276300 resized.JPG
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Return to Tasmania