Desktop version
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

South Coast Track in October?

Thu 30 May, 2019 9:14 am

Hello!
My friend and I are looking for a multi day walk in October and are considering the South Coast track. Most guides I have read say that the best time of year is Nov-Feb, but what would it be like in October? Should we look for something in the mainland instead?

Thanks!

Re: South Coast Track in October?

Thu 30 May, 2019 11:48 am

Look at the weather in the past years on the BOM site. In Oct you can expect it to be windy with rain. Not the best or the worst month to go so it could make for an interesting trip!

Thu 30 May, 2019 11:50 am

Forgot to mention you will need to be fit and capable of
Managing wet weather conditions for several
Days. Navigation is generally straight forward on the track

Thu 30 May, 2019 1:24 pm

Pot luck with the weather.
I wouldn't necessarily say November is substantially better than October.
Spring is the windy season and you will cope it from the SW'ly.

The other consideration is the river / creek crossings, I think there are a couple of new bridges now?
Depending on rain, snow melt etc. creeks could be up, which could mean waiting it out or getting wet.

You can get these conditions any time of year. Statistically less likely Jan through to March I guess.

Thu 30 May, 2019 2:48 pm

Azza wrote: I think there are a couple of new bridges now?

There's a bridge over Milford Creek, but wading the creek at Surprise Bay plus South Cape rivulet is still required. Not sure about the creeks/rivers west of Prion Beach.

Thu 30 May, 2019 5:00 pm

Azza wrote:Pot luck with the weather.
I wouldn't necessarily say November is substantially better than October.
Spring is the windy season and you will cope it from the SW'ly.

The other consideration is the river / creek crossings, I think there are a couple of new bridges now?
Depending on rain, snow melt etc. creeks could be up, which could mean waiting it out or getting wet.

You can get these conditions any time of year. Statistically less likely Jan through to March I guess.

Thanks for the tips - will have a think about what kind of gamble I'm willing to take :) - might be worth holding off for a few months
Post a reply