Best way to climb Stacks Bluff

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best way to climb Stacks Bluff

Postby RodH42+ » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 7:06 pm

Any suggestions/directions (where to drive to) etc would be most welcome.
RodH42+
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Best way to climb Stacks Bluff

Postby L_Cham_67 » Mon 15 Apr, 2019 7:45 pm

The best route is from Storys Creek. The Abels book has reliable directions, but you approach from either Avoca or Fingal, and you turn up the gravel road pictured with the arrow. After about 1km, you reach a junction. You can either park here (without blocking the road) or drive a further few hundred metres up the right hand branch which is a deteriorating road to a bigger parking area where a Stacks Bluff sign is located.
The road is fine for most 2WDs (not my old car though, I got a flat tyre haha, although I guess that can happen anywhere).
Attachments
Capture.JPG
L_Cham_67
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby billshep2 » Wed 16 Sep, 2020 11:01 pm

I had a look for the start of the Stack's Bluff track at Storey's Creek recently and encountered a logging coup in full swing. I had no trouble finding my way last time but that was many years ago. Does anyone know what is going on here? Old growth trees being logged not plantation.
There is another signposted route to the Ben Lomond Plateau just off the start of the old 1910 Storey's Creek Road east of Rossarden. has anyone used this? The old road itself makes a nice walk or bike run.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Last » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 3:51 pm

According to the tas forestry https://www.sttas.com.au/using-our-fore ... k-closures

Storeys Creek Road 4 (access to Stacks Bluff Walking Track) is closed due to ongoing forest operations in the area (updated 23/07/ 2020).
noen ganger er det godt å være alene i villmarken
Last
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby billshep2 » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks for that Last. Hopefully they will tidy up the site and put up decent signage when work is complete. I will suggest this to STT!

Thanks also to Doonish for the information on the track to Sphinx Bluff up at Barneys Rd junction. I will check it out soon. It will be a good alternative way up to the Plateau avoiding the current logging coups.
billshep2
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Tasmania