Tent hire Launceston

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tent hire Launceston

Postby Alana84 » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 12:16 pm

Planning to do the overland track November this year and I’m looking to hire a tent for the walk. I’m hiring some other things from Overland Track Transport was but the one thing they don’t seem to have is tents. We’ll be based in Launceston so would like to hire from there.

As a side note, I stumbled across this in Anaconda today and was wondering if it might be suitable?

https://www.anacondastores.com/camping- ... BP90133335

I have no idea which seasons it might be intended for, nor do I expect the highest quality from it, but at $40 it’s probably cheaper than hiring one. Not sure if it’s up to Tassie weather though.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Re: Tent hire Launceston

Postby Nuts » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 1:32 pm

Paddy Palin rent some gear from Launnie. November is a long time away, that tent may be fine, maybe if you get good weather, i'd save up for something more worthy.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby crollsurf » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 1:33 pm

Could be wrong but that Spinafex tent would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Not sure if this tent is still for sale, but it would be the type of tent you want. http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=29187
Otherwise, if you are looking for something cheap, Naturehike do tents that are good bang for your buck, maybe a Cloud UP https://www.naturehike.com/cloud-up-2-ultralight-two-men-tent/
How many people are you looking for?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Alana84 » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 1:37 pm

Thanks, I’ll forget the spinifex tent.

I think I’ll contact Paddy Palin and just hire one.
Alana84
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 05 Feb, 2019 1:58 pm

One significant problem with that particular style of tent is that if it rains, the water falls directly into the inner tent while the door is open. I got a $25 tent of a similar design (can't remember the brand) for my kids to use while car camping, which we only do during good weather. I would not use it for anything else (and have since replaced it with something more versatile).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania