Bent Bluff/The Knuckle

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bent Bluff/The Knuckle

Postby Nick S » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 11:59 am

Anyone been up Bent Bluff (on the Ben Lomond Plateau) in the past?
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&sour ... 9&t=p&z=15
I've got a description of the walk from Jan Hardy's book but am just wondering if anything has changed/any tips on the route etc.?

Planning a trip this saturday if anyone else is keen. weather looks good.

Nick
Nick S
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Bent Bluff/The Knuckle

Postby wello » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 7:47 pm

I have been to The Knuckle, but not to Bent Bluff. Not sure where Jan Hardy's description is from, but I went up from Storey's Creek. Followed a logging track as far as the car would go then walked, first on more 4wd track, then on a quite in-distinct pad. Emerged on the boulder fields below, and to the west of Sphinx Bluff. At this point I could not find any more cairns, so just went up the side of Sphinx Bluff. This was OK, and once on top it was a little scrubby but reasonably straightforward to head around to Pavement Bluff, returning via the Knuckle.

I saw no sign of tracks up on the plateau itself.

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rohjoe » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 8:22 pm

I visited Bent Bluff in March 2007. Heading along route B42 there is a sharp bend in the road about 6.5 km NNE of Rossarden. A vehicle track branches left at the bend. If you drive a short distance along this you will come to a walking track. My recollection is that it was quite straight forward to follow. It emerges on the Plateau between Bent Bluff and Broken Bluff, which is to the NE. We did a circuit taking in Bent Bluff, Sphinx Bluff, The Knuckle, Pavement Bluff and Broken Bluff. The Knuckle is a non-descript bump which was worth 2 points on the old Peak baggers list but is now worth zilch.
Cheers,
RJ
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nick S » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 10:10 pm

Great, thanks for the info.
Might give the Knuckle a miss if it's worth nothing on the peak baggers list :D Na that circuit sounds like a good plan.
Nick S

Postby Elaine » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Nick

I have walked the Bent Bluff track twice in the last 18 months - it is a pity this track is not maintained. I again visited the area on Thursday 8th October and with a friend, cleared some of the overgrowing bushes from the track but snow deterred us from continuing. We are hoping to take a group up this track on 25th October (weather permitting that is!) and then across to The Knuckle. There are track markers - red markers on trees and also pink ribbons but these have been badly weathered since our trip up this track
at the end of April this year.

The overgrowth slows the walk considerably as you spend much time checking for the next marker.

I have been told that we could also get to The Knuckle from Storeys Creek but we are running out of time to recce this. I am looking for information on this route as a possible alternative for our group.

:) Elaine
Elaine
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nick S » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 6:09 pm

Hi Elaine,
Thanks for the extra info. I actually walked up this track just on the saturday before you were there!
Slightly overgrown I agree, especially up toward the top the scrub tends to push you backwards. I noticed some markers had gone but the track pretty much goes straight uphill so it was ok to find. Plus we had a dog with us who navigated quite well :D

Wello might be able to help you regarding the route from Storeys creek to the Knuckle which you were thinking about.
Here's a photo taken from the Knuckle, might give you a better idea of the terrain.
It looks like you could reach the plateau either up between sphinx and storeys bluff, or up alongside coal falls.
the knuckle.jpg

Nick
Nick S

Postby Elaine » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 8:34 am

Hi Nick

Great photo - thank you!

My major concern re this track is the weather! We have committed to taking a walk on that day and I dont want to just cancel and not do anything...

I personally do not have much issue with the track/weather but one's consideration has to be for those who may choose to come along with us...

I have more or less decided to check out the Storey's Creek route when I have more time available and maybe do this walk in March instead.

Plan B is Liffey Bluff from the falls carpark which we recced in May and hope to do another quick one this Saturday.

Plan C is being considered as I look out the office window..

Once again - thank you and safe walking

Elaine
Elaine
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania