Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli access

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Luxury camp inside Walls of Jerusalem WHA with heli acce

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 6:08 pm

tastrax wrote:You are only obliged to give your name and address if they have reasonable grounds to suspect that you have committed an offence, so definitely ask what the offence is.

Neat. Can you please cite the legislation or regulation that advises this? I've found that speaking legal-babble and knowing a few laws and regulations really puts some people off. A few times I've been asked if I'm a lawyer. I always say, no comment and don't quote me. Forgot. Ask to see the PAWS or other identification and make a note of the number.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Postby tastrax » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 7:30 pm

Try these for starters

If there is a sign to prevent your entry (which is what they tried for the Franklin Campaign) and you ignore it could be an offence

https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sr-2009-169?query=((PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000)))+AND+Title%3D(%22parks%22)&dQuery=Document+Types%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EActs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+Acts%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ESRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+SRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Search+In%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ETitle%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+All+Words%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3Eparks%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Point+In+Time%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3E28%2F11%2F2019%3C%2Fspan%3E%22#GS17@EN

Then you could be ejected....

https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/sr-2009-169?query=((PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000)))+AND+Title%3D(%22parks%22)&dQuery=Document+Types%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EActs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+Acts%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ESRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+SRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Search+In%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ETitle%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+All+Words%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3Eparks%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Point+In+Time%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3E28%2F11%2F2019%3C%2Fspan%3E%22#GS41@EN

and if you are very naughty... AND FOUND OFFENDING

https://www.legislation.tas.gov.au/view/html/inforce/current/act-2002-062?query=((PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22act.reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3C%3E%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000))+OR+(PrintType%3D%22reprint%22+AND+Amending%3D%22pure%22+AND+PitValid%3D%40pointInTime(20191128000000)))+AND+Title%3D(%22parks%22)&dQuery=Document+Types%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EActs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+Acts%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ESRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%2C+%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3EAmending+SRs%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Search+In%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3ETitle%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+All+Words%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3Eparks%3C%2Fspan%3E%22%2C+Point+In+Time%3D%22%3Cspan+class%3D%27dq-highlight%27%3E28%2F11%2F2019%3C%2Fspan%3E%22#GS66@EN
Last edited by tastrax on Thu 28 Nov, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 7:49 pm

They don't make URLs like that any more! A few terms need to be clarified, like authorised officer, reserve and others. Comply with the laws, not the perceptions. If there is no more damage than a "normal" bushwalking party then it seems that the protest is acceptable.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby tastrax » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 8:02 pm

Click on Part 1, point 3...“interpretation” on the left on any of those pages to see the definitions of authorised officer etc

All authorised persons will generally carry an authority card.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 8:18 pm

Sounds like organised events are v complicated. Which leads to random events happening.....

I seriously can’t understand how the Tasmanian Govt can prostitute themselves ( not meaning to demean sex workers...) and to have done so for so long. Guns and logging... probably other things, then this. It is just so so wrong. Don’t they have any integrity?

All the best to the randoms who decide to camp at Malbena next weekend. Remembering that if you’re part of an organised event, you have to carry out human waste....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby tastrax » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 8:53 pm

andrewa wrote:Sounds like organised events are v complicated.
....only when they want to know about them. There are 'large' groups in National Parks every day (by the busload) but they tend to be conveniently ignored. Maybe its the payment of their pitiful commercial fees that absolves them from the same scrutiny as environmental campaigners?
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 28 Nov, 2019 9:24 pm

tastrax wrote:Click on Part 1, point 3...“interpretation” on the left on any of those pages to see the definitions of authorised officer etc.

Thanks. I am unfamiliar with the Tassie legislative pages.

andrewa wrote:Remembering that if you’re part of an organised event, you have to carry out human waste....

I doubt if the Minister will be attending.

tastrax wrote:There are 'large' groups in National Parks every day (by the busload) but they tend to be conveniently ignored. Maybe its the payment of their pitiful commercial fees that absolves them from the same scrutiny as environmental campaigners?

If the laws are not being applied uniformly or without fear or favour then the agency involved is in breach. There was a case maybe 20 years ago when a car was pulled over for speeding. The police were about to issue a warning or something less but the driver insisted that the police apply the law regardless of the job of the driver, who was the Chief Commissioner of Police.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 5:17 am

andrewa wrote:I seriously can’t understand how the Tasmanian Govt can prostitute themselves ( not meaning to demean sex workers...) and to have done so for so long. Guns and logging... probably other things, then this. It is just so so wrong. Don’t they have any integrity?

*hysterical laughter*

As with the mob in Canberra, Hodgman's circus couldn't find the word "integrity" in a dictionary if you removed all other pages and redacted all other entries on that page.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby Warin » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 8:56 am

north-north-west wrote:
andrewa wrote:I seriously can’t understand how the Tasmanian Govt can prostitute themselves ( not meaning to demean sex workers...) and to have done so for so long. Guns and logging... probably other things, then this. It is just so so wrong. Don’t they have any integrity?

*hysterical laughter*

As with the mob in Canberra, Hodgman's circus couldn't find the word "integrity" in a dictionary if you removed all other pages and redacted all other entries on that page.

Yep.

The ABC survey says 'trust' in politicians is ~30% for Lib voters and ~ 10% for the rest of the voters... I note that this is for politicians from any party. Similar results for company CEOs.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 29 Nov, 2019 1:20 pm

Bugger... I had planned to go, but I can't make it to Malbena next weekend.

Anybody in/near Launceston want to borrow a Klymit LWD packraft (~1kg) and a 4 piece break-down paddle (~1kg) to enjoy a paddle around Halls Island next weekend? Send me a message if so. (You break it you replace it). I've used the raft on Lake Malbena before and it likes it there.

Photos of two of these rafts can be seen at the topic, "Lake Malbena Pack-Rafting Circuit - Jackson Ck & Moses Ck"

PS. Despite not being able to participate actively by walking in next weekend, I'm happy with some of my other contributions to the cause, including publishing a web site that has achieved it's original goal of being ranked higher on Google than the developer's web site for search terms such as: "halls island" and "halls island tasmania".
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby Nuts » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 7:50 am

I'll be working (as with this weekend) but can arrange to drop a bus load off and pick them up (if someone has a bus load?).

Son of a Beach wrote: publishing a web site that has achieved it's original goal of being ranked higher on Google than the developer's web site for search terms such as: "halls island" and "halls island tasmania".

There are some operators still governed by integrity, and maybe even some of the other proponents will back down in good conscience. I'm sure there are better and worse businesses for the Tasmanian public to partner with. I'd imagine that sort of thing can be very effective Nik, and get that sometimes 'anything goes'. Each to their own, so on. But still, even now, in all fairness I find it a bit nasty, lop-sided justice.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 9:09 am

Not sure what you mean by that. Nasty was certainly not the intention. It was designed to counter some of the misinformation on the proponent’s sites and in their submissions for various approvals. (Eg, in one of their submissions, they state that there has been a private lease "over" Halls Island for decades. Although technically there has been a miniscule lease ON the island for decades, they have worded that section of their document to give the impression that there is nothing new about the entire-island lease arrangements.)

hallsisland.org is an attempt at getting some of the truth seen ahead of some of the misleading partial truths. I guess it is a protest web site. But it's about as peaceful as a protest can be.

Of course, where emotions are involved, nastiness can come out accidentally. If you can point me to any particular instances where I’ve been nasty, unfair or plain wrong, please do so. I would be happy to correct anything like that.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Sat 30 Nov, 2019 6:23 pm

Remember to register and more importantly attend the picnic.

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/reclaim ... 1271261531

It'll be all over by 2pm, so why not go for a walk afterwards...a great area to take a raft into as well
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Sun 01 Dec, 2019 5:24 pm

Not so much the intent, which is you right, just the outcome Nik. Those inconsistencies & half-truths you mention, the industry is littered with them. And you'll not get to the biggest offenders keywords and advertising without deep pockets.

Then again he can remove any reference to the specific place and sell his product on it's attraction (exclusive wilderness fishing) as I suspect he will, it's hearsay but his partners may also have deepish pockets.

PS.It's great to see a grass roots protest. In case it's not obvious, the supporters have been called bullies and greenies, singling out any particular operator for unique treatment and The Greens jumping on the band wagon, waving their banners around. Tick. ?
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 02 Dec, 2019 11:13 am

Nuts wrote:it's hearsay but his partners may also have deepish pockets.

Yes, I'm very confident that his partners have exceedingly deep pockets. They also have a long history of sway over the Tasmanian government.

I've not seen the proof first-hand, just spoken to somebody who knows somebody who has, so I guess it stays as hearsay for now.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Tue 03 Dec, 2019 11:38 am

Yes, well, it is good to have such a resource to offer some facts, aside from any hindrance to the business (which could even now be a saleable asset).
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 03 Dec, 2019 12:55 pm

Are the partners known? Is there a requirement for them to be named?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 03 Dec, 2019 1:05 pm

Shareholders (as of a few months ago) are all listed earlier in this topic at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27619&p=369741#p369509

Note that most of the share-holders are "non-beneficial" which means:
https://asic.gov.au/for-business/running-a-company/shares/ wrote:Shares held by a person as trustee, nominee or on account of another person

Ie, front-men for the real owners who remain unknown.

Aside from shareholders, there may be other people/organisations that have silent and/or secret contracts with the proponents and/or their company.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 1:38 pm

Wilkie in Parliament today made this statement.

http://andrewwilkie.org/tasmanian-parks ... Gj3-nfZTCU

“This weekend a group of bushwalkers, fishers and other community members will host a picnic on Tasmania’s central plateau before a small group of walkers depart for Lake Malbena, where they will stage a symbolic reclamation of Halls Island and the surrounding wilderness.” Mr Wilkie said.
“Tasmanians should not have to stake a claim like this to our treasured wilderness which actually belongs to all of us. It is shameful that the Tasmanian Government is hiding behind a secretive process and has gifted Halls Island to a developer for a luxury, private camp. Heavens we don’t even know the details of the lease or the money that might have changed hands.
“Tasmanians are right to be appalled by our Government’s dodgy Expression of Interest process for developments inside our national parks and wilderness world heritage areas.
There is so much we don’t know, not least because proposals are assessed with little public scrutiny. In fact the whole process is so disturbing it has caught the attention of the Auditor-General who is now investigating the EOI process.
“And to top it all off, it seems taxpayers’ money is now being used to upgrade public sites that have been earmarked for private development. Tasmania’s precious wilderness belongs to all of us. It is not for the Government to virtually gift to private developers.”
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 3:58 pm

SOB, thanks. After 10 months and hundreds of posts, information falls off the back of my brain. The key point on the ASIC listing is that this is a Hackett company, and he calls the shots. With 60% of the shares he cannot be over-ruled.

There is another question - who is funding the proposal? In approximate numbers, a house that it similar to the proposed development would cost $200-350,000. Add extras like a helicopter pad, water, sewage, FIFO, a jetty and more and the cost could be $500,000. I suspect that with his dreadful business acumen (two failed businesses from memory), Daniel does not has the funds, so someone is funding this.

Investors look for a good return, ROI, return on investment. In today's business climate it's harder than was the case to borrow for investing, or a mortgage for that matter. Potential borrowers wanting to buy a house must satisfy the lender (usually a bank) that the four Cs of borrowing are satisfied: character, capacity, collateral and credit.

Daniel would not meet any of this. Based on his failed businesses, his character is arguably inadequate. Capacity to service the debt is also questionable. A loan of $250,000 paid off over 30 years at 4.0% principle and interest is about $14,000 a year. This seems viable - just. there would probably be cashflow issues.

The venture falls in a major heap with collateral. I have a house worth $500,000 and a mortgage of $250,000. if I default then the bank takes possession and sells the house, giving me proceeds after selling costs. With all the issues surrounding Halls Island, who would buy it?

There's another issue, perhaps the most important one. As some property investors have found, never buy dwellings or land in a one industry town. With the fall of resource prices and demand, housing prices and rent in mining towns have fallen up to 80%. Halls Island is a one industry idea, able to be thwarted by government at any time. If the political pressure becomes too much then the Tasmanian Liberal “government” (I use the word advisedly) will retreat.

I cannot comment on Daniel's creditworthiness, although I expect a low rating at Equifax, Experian and Illion. Funders behind Daniel would have to declare him as the prime mover, and this would be a big negative.

The bottom line is that this is a dreadful investment, high risk, limited return on equity, limited return on investment, inadequate security, and more. One metric I do not usually apply when assessing these sort of things is that there may be no fish.

SBS, Pow, wallop, biff! Mr Wilkie is my new bestie.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby philm » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 4:23 pm

Yes the last point is the killer punch - no fish but this is a luxury escape for trout fishers! Even if this goes ahead, then we can expect a derelict overrun set of buildings on the island. Lets hope the Government have a clause on restoring the land back to its original condition in the secret documentation. But then again I would not expect this to be the case on the basis of how this has been conducted to date.
philm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby tastrax » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 6:08 pm

I will almost bet that there will be some 'grant' that becomes available to support this proposal. It wouldn't be the first time, and it seems there is quite a bit of 'government money' being expended in areas where other expressions of interest have commenced.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-04/ ... ea/9724798
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby stepbystep » Wed 04 Dec, 2019 6:32 pm

Exactly tastrax... SCT, Cockle Creek, Rodway Track and all those blessed carparks at the Walls and Freycinet...the Cradle catastrophe! Meanwhile the Huon track is ignored post fire as is Anne track, Rhona track, and all those others they have stopped maintaining....Cuvier Valley, Picton ranges, Snowies, Byron Gap etc etc etc
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 8:11 am

Lophophaps wrote:The bottom line is that this is a dreadful investment, high risk, limited return on equity, limited return on investment, inadequate security, and more. One metric I do not usually apply when assessing these sort of things is that there may be no fish.

There are spurious grants. There's a few more:

We already have a dedicated.. game squad, P&W tasked to protect a feral species for wealthy patrons.
Leases (are long), seem to have transference clauses only in theory.
Leases appear to survive successive governments with ease and if the term is known, what about time limits on construction commencing.
Standing camps (and pods/kitchen shelters etc) can made to sound good, even to some 'conservationists', are a lower cost entry (and may as well be seen as Stage 1 development).

'Exclusive' walker accommodation, or any concession offering an easier advantage, has so far proved very successful.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 2:49 pm

It's also possible that some sort-of-unknown investor with very deep pockets is willing to make a loss on this project because they actually need it to be the thin edge of the wedge in order to make it possible for other developments they have up their sleeve. Once those other developments (potentially in sensitive wilderness) are approved, they can drop earlier loss-making businesses and leave Halls Island with a derelict and ugly set of huts.

All just speculation of course. But how can we know the truth when so much is hidden from use? Speculation is all we have.

Another thing that really irks me...

Everybody keeps referring to the Halls Island proposal as a "camp". Even the negative press and opposed politicians like Wilkie. Just because the developer and the government call it a "camp" does not make it so. It's more like a boutique hotel. At least people call call it a set of "huts". It does not meet anybody's definition of a "camp", even the government/PWS official definition of a "standing camp" is vastly different to what is being proposed at Halls Island (just one of the many reasons people are shocked it ever got so far through the approvals process).

Please journalists and politicians, stop using the word "camp" and and least call it "huts", if not "hotel". Call a spade a spade.

Every time people use the word "camp" they perpetuating the myth and are playing into the hands of the developer and the government.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby lefroy » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 4:18 pm

Did someone say federal group?
lefroy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 5:19 pm

SOB, good points. If Halls Island is a precedent for developers being allowed in wild areas then the matter warrants hard opposition. The AG may yet review in our favour. You're right - it's not a camp. We need a short simple descriptive word that conveys a correct description. Glamp is a bit obscure for most people. Can anyone think of such a word?

Another aspect to push is that this is for rich people, arriving by helicopter. The Banking Royal Commission has put a blowtorch on the finance sector. AMP senior management have vanished, and in the last few weeks, Westpac has joined them. CBA and others have divested some parts of their businesses, with consumer confidence about banks quite low. If this negative view could be associated with the rich people going to Halls Island then there may even be political fallout.

As far as I can recall, the Federal Group was cited as a possible backer, but no evidence was supplied. Maybe a Deep Throat will turn up.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby bogholesbuckethats » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 5:44 pm

flylife
Media Release

5 December 2019

Court finds Commonwealth Government decision on Lake Malbena ‘heli-tourism’ invalid

The Federal Court has found that the Commonwealth Government’s decision that no approval is required under Commonwealth environmental law for the Halls Island helicopter-accessed luxury tourism proposal in the Tasmanian wilderness was invalid. The Court has ordered that the Government remake its decision under the national environmental law, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth) (EPBC Act).

This important outcome was achieved by EDO Tasmania, acting for the Wilderness Society (Tasmania), following its successful Federal Court challenge to the Commonwealth decision that the tourism accommodation proposal was not a controlled action.

The Federal Court ruling of 12 November 2019 found that the Government’s decision was flawed, with the legal challenge successful on two of three of its grounds of review. Now both parties have reached agreement on the Court orders to give effect to that ruling. The Commonwealth has agreed to a Court order that the original decision be quashed and a new decision made. These orders were made by the Court yesterday.
Environmental Defenders Office Principal Lawyer Nicole Sommer said:

“The concession by the Commonwealth Government that its decision was invalid and must be remade under the EPBC Act shows that our client was right to take this legal action.”

“Our client, the Wilderness Society, today submitted new evidence to the Environment Minister about this project’s noise and wilderness impacts on World Heritage values, evidence that was not before the Department when the first decision was made. This new evidence demonstrates that the project is clearly unacceptable because of the significant impact it will have on wilderness values. It should be rejected by the Minister under the EPBC Act.

“At the very least, this project must now go through a full and detailed assessment, allowing Tasmanians to have a say on what happens in their World Heritage Area. The Environment Minister’s new decision will be a test as to whether the Government will wave through development in World Heritage Areas.

“If private development of a World Heritage Area, on public land and in the heart of the wilderness, is not deemed to be clearly unacceptable, or doesn’t even need approval to proceed, then we have to ask serious questions about the process.

“The Court’s ruling and this outcome to remake the decision have national implications, beyond this development. The Court makes very clear comment on the need for the Commonwealth to ensure it is adhering to its international obligations, as implemented in our national environmental laws, when assessing developments within World Heritage areas.

“We are really lucky to have such a unique, wild, and remote World Heritage Area in Tasmania. It is internationally significant. National laws are there to protect our wildest places and keep their values intact for current and future generations.

“These places belong to all of us, and the World Heritage Convention, which Australia has signed up to, recognises that the public must be involved in decisions about their future. The Court’s decision reinforces the importance of public participation as integral to decisions about development of World Heritage Areas and we hope this is manifest in the Minister’s new decision-making process.”

Background to the case

The Wilderness Society (Tasmania) Inc challenged the Commonwealth Government’s decision that no detailed assessment was required under the EPBC Act for this development on Halls Island on Lake Malbena in central Tasmania.

Halls Island is within the Walls of Jerusalem National Park and forms part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area (TWWHA). The tourism proposal involves an accommodation complex and board-walking on the island, a helicopter landing site off-island and up to 240 helicopter flights a year between Derwent Bridge and Lake Malbena.

The TWWHA is an internationally listed World Heritage site and a listed national heritage place. The EPBC Act requires actions which are likely to have a significant impact on a matter of national environmental significance, such as World Heritage or national heritage values, to be subject to rigorous and transparent assessment process with public participation. The EPBC Act also empowers the Minister for Environment to decide that the action would have clearly unacceptable impacts.

The EPBC Act is the legislation which implements Australia’s international obligations under the World Heritage Convention to protect World Heritage properties like the TWWHA.

TWS was represented by barrister Emrys Nekvapil and lawyer Claire Bookless from Environmental Defenders Office (Tasmania
That looks like a pad.
bogholesbuckethats
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Thu 05 Dec, 2019 6:03 pm

That's great news. This is going to be a wonderful weekend.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

PreviousNext

Return to Tasmania