Clumner Bluff

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Clumner Bluff

Postby tastrekker » Tue 11 Dec, 2007 9:46 pm

I had a chance to climb Clumner Bluff weekend before last.

Gorgeous day, brilliant views. A fairly tough climb that is rewarded by some magnificent trackless plateau walking. The wilderflowers were slightly beyond their best but superb all the same. Check it out at http://www.blognow.com.au/tastrekker/79143/Clumner_Success.html
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Clumner Bluff

Postby wello » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 10:55 am

Where did you start your climb from? I went to that area in September 07 looking for the start of a trach that i'd heard about, but had no luck. I seemed to have been taken out by a logging coup.
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tastrekker » Sat 05 Apr, 2008 12:13 pm

Yes, you are correct, Wello. The start of the track has been logged. Here's the bit from my blog that explains...

I took the normal track from the logging road Clumner Spur 1. The notes in "The Abels" and this trip report on "Wild Tiger" say look out for the cairn beside the road after 2.2km as it can be hard to spot. Things have changed! The start of the track has been logged! From the obvious cairn beside the road, cairns lead the way along the now-well-established snig tracks until the upper extent of recent logging is reached. At this point, watch out for cairns on the left as the track heads onto a very old logging track which soon peters out completely.

The logging looked quite recent so I expect the new cairns were constructed between your visit in September and mine in December. The cairns are quite obvious and there is a good spot to park on the opposite side of the road.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Speculator » Sun 06 Apr, 2008 1:30 pm

Hey, another walk that I didn't know about. Thanks Tastrekker, keep 'em coming! :wink:

Any idea how long the round-trip took you?
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby tastrekker » Mon 07 Apr, 2008 6:44 am

Speculator wrote:Any idea how long the round-trip took you?

5 hours
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania