PWS Park Fees to Increase

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

PWS Park Fees to Increase

Postby bcshort » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 4:46 pm

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... ravel.html

NATIONAL park entry fees could increase as budget cuts bite the Parks and Wildlife Service.

The Mercury believes that as a result of the savage cuts of nearly 20 per cent over the next three years, 30 permanent positions are expected to be lost from the service.

As a consequence, visitors to the iconic Cradle Mountain will have to guide themselves around the original interpretation centre because staff are to be moved to a new office outside the park.

The State Government did not respond to questions about the proposed changes, including the size of any park entry fee increases.

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I have mixed feelings on this. I would certainly feel fee increases for day trips is *&%$#! rude - $22/car is already damned expensive IMHO. However as a frequent user of my yearly pass (have visited National Parks 5 times since the purchase in May - The pass pays for itself after 3 trips) I could understand them wanting to consider a yearly fee increase.

However I keep getting told my fees are getting used to improve the parks - well I see little of that happening maybe with the exception of Mt Field as it is such a popular place.

What does everyone else think?
bcshort
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: PWS Park Fees to Increase

Postby walkinTas » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 5:18 pm

There is an election coming up soon - that might be a way to fix the problem.
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 6:15 pm

walkinTas wrote:There is an election coming up soon - that might be a way to fix the problem.

What replace like with like come on wT get real :lol:
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby walkinTas » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 6:39 pm

I am a firm believer that you will always get the service that you are willing to put up with. :)
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Ent » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 6:52 pm

Content removed by poster
Last edited by Ent on Sat 13 Nov, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"lt only took six years. From now on, l´ll write two letters a week instead of one."
(Shawshank Redemption)
Ent
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steve » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 9:45 am

The fees are screwed; It makes sense for interstate and overseas visitors having to pay but we as Tasmanian's should not have to pay to play in our own backyard.

I don't think I've ever seen park rangers (or whoever does it) check for parks passes on cars, and I've never heard of anyone getting caught. From what I heard somewhere (I think on this forum) its cheaper to get a fine than to pay the entry free. So you'd almost be better off without one. I do have an all parks pass mind you. Its seems to me that all they care about it the money - they expect everyone to do the "right thing" by paying the fees (and make a fortune off it), but thats as far as it goes.
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tasadam » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 4:04 pm

I did some fees calculations in this topic.
I was initially in the camp that believed here in Tassie we should not have to pay for our parks. I am now accepting of it, though as my sums allude to, I think the gov't has a lot to answer for.
Why so under-funded?
And on another funding issue... Why spend so much on a fox task force and only produce evidence? What about a bounty on fox heads, and a bigger penalty with mandatory jail term for those caught bringing foxes in so they can collect the bounty, or breeding them so they can collect the bounty.
State forest = land ready for plantation. Crown land = land ready for plantation. National park = land ready for ruin due to lack of maintenance due to inadequate funding for management (Parks dep't).

As for putting the fees up, I bet you'll find it all goes into "consolidated revenue" and has no bearing on how much of it goes back to Parks.
Did you know that less than 10% of revenue raised from traffic infringements goes back into road maintenance / driver education / police?
All consolidated revenue.

It was in the news last week that over 30,000 infringement notices have been handed out this year. Guessing an average penalty of $150, that is 4.5 million.
Why not spend the lot on driver education?
Yeah I know, that's got nothing to do with Parks, but it does have something to do with the way the gov't spend money in Tassie. And it seems I felt like a rant.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby tasadam » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 4:13 pm

OK I just read the article. Did you see it?
Hiking fees...
How droll. :roll:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Buddy » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 4:24 pm

No, it's all OK. They are going up to pay for Scott Gadd's going away pressie. Quite trendy to reward non-performance among execs. these days!
Buddy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 6:44 pm

Would be nice to transfer some of FT's funds to Parks. :shock: :shock:

Really anything to do with environment in Tas does not get the funding it should, whereas things which compromise quality of life for Mr Joe Average seem to be important.

Doesn't seem to matter which (major) party is in power. :cry:

Many other things always get money, such as overseas trips, travel expenses, grog bills etc. :twisted: :twisted:

It's been this way for a long time too,--they are like pigs at the trough. :evil: :evil:

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 7:29 pm

This story finally made the TV news tonight. They're a bit slow out there in TV land. :)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 8:04 pm

flyfisher wrote:Many other things always get money, such as overseas trips, travel expenses, grog bills etc. :twisted: :twisted:
FF

$20 mil for an upgrade to a horse track that I know I will never visit.
I seem to recall a certain ex-premier that likes the horses. At least HE will be comfortable.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby flyfisher » Sat 19 Sep, 2009 9:01 pm

$20 mil for an upgrade to a horse track that I know I will never visit.
I seem to recall a certain ex-premier that likes the horses. At least HE will be comfortable

Thats the type of careless accounting of OUR money (governments don't have money, they just waste our money) that really gives me the irrits.
Always plenty for pet projects like horse track and grandstands and Tarkine roads, but not much for things that are out of favour like Parks and inland fisheries (yeah, Iknow trout are feral but they aren't pests).
Just my 2bobs worth but I don't feel any better now because I know it will keep on till I'm gone. :cry:

ff
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby stepbystep » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 7:56 am

Son of a Beach wrote:This story finally made the TV news tonight. They're a bit slow out there in TV land. :)

It had been on the shelf at ABC for a week while they sorted out legals etc. Finally put it to air last night, some of my finest work - not!
Apparently some tracks at Mt. Field are to be closed :(
The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders ~ Edward Abbey
stepbystep
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 9:08 am

It seems that these things are more complicated than I realised. :)

your work? Well done then, I reckon.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 9:10 am

WHAT?? Close tracks at Mt Field?? Meaning what? their going to try to close it to the public?? Or it's going to become an off track area?? People certainly wont stop going there?? that seems rather pointless to me??

Or do they mean by closing it they will shut down the stations they have there?? With the 30 odd jobs being slashed i'd say thats more likely!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby walkinTas » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:00 am

Fee increases are inevitable, but I worry about what we will get for our money.

We discussed track maintenance in other forum threads, but I thought I'd add 2c worth here. I'm not sure what others expect in the way of track maintenance, but personally, I don't think money should be spend "improving" all tracks to some predetermined "higher" quality track? Where tracks are popular, maintenance is necessary so that the tracks don't become environmental problems (erosion, mud-holes and the like). In more remote areas, and where tracks are less popular, and when there is no environmental problems, then I support the idea of letting nature take its course. If a track becomes over grown because people don't visit an area, then that's a good thing.

As I have said before (here), I think the primary concern should be looking after the environment, not looking after the creature comforts of walkers. To that end I think that track maintenance/improvement should be kept to the minimum maintenance necessary to avoid ongoing environmental problems. The amount of traffic and the environment where the track is located should determine the "minimum" maintenance requirements. So in high traffic areas - popular day walks and frequently used tourist areas - high quality tracks will be essential, but is other areas its neither necessary nor desirable. Sometimes boardwalking is not the best solution - relocating and closing tracks has worked in the past.

I think too it is important to consider aesthetic values when considering track maintenance. It is important surely to maintain the aesthetic appeal of an area. The fewer man made structures and the more natural the track, the greater the visual appeal. After all we go to these places because they are visually appealing.

What do you really want for your money? 17 National Parks and 2000 Km of walking tracks for $66 a year (less than 20c a day). Where would you spend the money?

I don't wish to see every track (any track) replaced with a board walk. Neither do wish to see trimmed shrubs and gravelled walkways every where I go. I don't want every camping experience to be a tent on a camping platform. I don't want my every interaction with a vista, panorama or waterfall to be limited to a viewing platform. I have no wish to walk through the bush with a dunny every few kilometres and a hut and helipad every ten to fifteen K. I do not wish to see every river crossing replace by a foot bridge. I will not die of thirst because I can't find the next tank or tap with fresh water. I do not need and don't wish to see everything in the bush labelled so I can have an "enhanced" experience. I will not get lost because someone didn't erect a wooden sign telling me which track leads to this-or-that feature or how many Ks to the nearest carpark. Yet, so many walks in Tasmania have been reduced to this sort of experience and the infection is spreading. If this the type of "improvement" we get with higher fees, then I don't want it. And if this is what you want out of your nature experience then can I suggest you go visit and urban park or a botanical garden, please.

Anyway, listening to the news last night it sounds like Park Rangers might be the next endangered species. :D

Edit: posted this in an old thread last night accidentally, so if it looks familiar it 'cause I moved it? :D (omg self moderation :o )
walkinTas
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tastrax » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 10:42 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:WHAT?? Close tracks at Mt Field?? Meaning what? their going to try to close it to the public?? Or it's going to become an off track area?? People certainly wont stop going there?? that seems rather pointless to me??

Or do they mean by closing it they will shut down the stations they have there?? With the 30 odd jobs being slashed i'd say thats more likely!!

I suspect its more likely to be tracks like the Lyrebird Nature trail (one of about 5 walking experiences on the Dobson Road) - Personally I dont see that as a problem - Its a poor track that really duplicates what is on other tracks on the same road. It also lacks interpretation (compared to others in the area). To me that is a more responsible decision so limited funds can be spent on more needy (environmental) areas.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 1:42 pm

Ok that makes a bit more sense. I've not really been on any of those walks, when i think tracks at Mt Field I instantly think of the Dobson and above areas.

My Father in-law is a field officer with PWS, he is off work due to an injury and I know he fears for his position when his contract expires.

Quite a shame really when you think the numbers of FT workers increasing and PW decreasing. Where will our state be in a few years time let alone decades from now.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 2:02 pm

tastrax wrote:[I suspect its more likely to be tracks like the Lyrebird Nature trail (one of about 5 walking experiences on the Dobson Road) - Personally I dont see that as a problem - Its a poor track that really duplicates what is on other tracks on the same road. It also lacks interpretation (compared to others in the area). To me that is a more responsible decision so limited funds can be spent on more needy (environmental) areas.

I frequent Mt Field quite a lot and have a fair idea of where work is done and the extent of it and from my observations the savings from closing tracks such as these would save a pittance. That is not to say that the tracks don't need work, but over recent years nearly all the track expenditure would have been on the high use tracks, mostly within close proximity to the visitor centre. I have observed the state of most of the tracks in the park over the the years and the nature type ones such as Mosaic (on wombat Moor) and probably the Lyrebird (haven't looked at it for about 3 years so some work may have been done since then) won't get much worse if left open.

Having said that, I am not suggesting that these tracks are ideal for tourist type visitors, only that the saving will be minimal. I think a very good case could be argued for providing a far superior visitor experience elsewhere starting from the Lake Dobson Rd that would also be acceptable from an environmental perspective.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joel » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 4:52 pm

walkinTas - I think you're right about getting what we pay for. Here at Cradle Mt we sell alot of park passes. Alot. If anyone visits Cradle Mt. Lodge anytime soon have a look at the raffle at reception. PWS are raffling a painting to pay for the re-installment of the chain up to Hanson's Peak. THEY CAN"T AFFORD A CHAIN??????? WT *$&# is going on? I beleive the Lodge is actually planning on paying for it as it will probably take years for them to sell enough raffle tickets. Where is all the money from passes going? Also have a look at the Lake Lilla/Wombat pool track. The pine was dropped off to replace the boardwalk over a year ago and it's still sitting there whilst the track turns into a big ugly ditch. This is surely one of the most popular short walks in Tassie. Why not fix it? Surely a lack of funds can be the only reason. Check out the stairs from lilla to wombat pool too. Those rolls of wire sitting next to the track have been there for at least a year. Surely it can't cost that much to send someone out with a nail gun?
Definately has changed since Weindorfer's days...and not for the better IMO.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lagaro » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 10:07 pm

Joel - Same thing on the Arm River track near to Lake Ayr from 2006 to 2007 there was a big pile of pine. I was going in to Pelion hut alot through that way and I ended up busting open one of the stacks of pine and laying the big slabs over some of the worse sections of mud! Propped em up on each end so they were stable and out of the mud!
Others did likewise until the work was done properly, I like to think Parks were happy we had carried some of the boards into place :lol:
What has been done with Arm river track is well worth park fees, those creeks just before Lake Ayr were nasty in the dark! But that is a high profile track being connected to the OT. But then again the track out to old Pelion hut is shocking! :D Would only take 30 OT passes to fix that surely?
IMHO I think that in relative time terms a few years of walking dont make much difference to the decades of recovery after duckboards etc are finaly installed. :D
Lagaro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby corvus » Wed 23 Sep, 2009 10:31 pm

Lagaro wrote:Joel - Same thing on the Arm River track near to Lake Ayr from 2006 to 2007 there was a big pile of pine. I was going in to Pelion hut alot through that way and I ended up busting open one of the stacks of pine and laying the big slabs over some of the worse sections of mud! Propped em up on each end so they were stable and out of the mud!
Others did likewise until the work was done properly, I like to think Parks were happy we had carried some of the boards into place :lol:
What has been done with Arm river track is well worth park fees, those creeks just before Lake Ayr were nasty in the dark! But that is a high profile track being connected to the OT. But then again the track out to old Pelion hut is shocking! :D Would only take 30 OT passes to fix that surely?
IMHO I think that in relative time terms a few years of walking dont make much difference to the decades of recovery after duckboards etc are finaly installed. :D

I agree with most of your comments with the exception of your idea of cost to do track work,if you can fix this section of track for the amount that you quote I will employ you you to fix all of the problem sections :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby tasadam » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 9:08 am

I too went in Arm River track when all the boards were piled beside the track, and remember looking forward to the day that track was completed.
Have been in a number of times since and the track is great now. Only deep mud hole was as you head in, about 1km from the car, just as the ascent is about to start.

Joel, excellent post.
Great to see this issue brought to the public eye.
I haven't been down to Wombat pool since 2007 so it's good to hear from you about this. I wonder how to go about getting answers to this - I really feel sorry for the people at Parks up there, I know some of them. Having the hardware sitting there for so long and not being able to afford the people to do the work seems such a waste.
As for the chain, well that's just ridiculous. I know of one long-standing ranger (top bloke too) in another location not happy about being reduced to selling ice-creams to the public to raise funds (his words).

A bit of an update on the Parks office at Cradle Mountain - I hear the office where the new boom gate is, on the left just past the Lodge, will be turned more in to a ranger station and interpretation centre. The main parks office will be the one further back where the shop / petrol bowser is.
I believe the move is scheduled to be complete by about January.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby north-north-west » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:50 pm

*sigh*
plus ca change . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii