Western Lakes intermediate solo trip

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Western Lakes intermediate solo trip

Postby Pebbles » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi everyone,
Just looking for some advice - I know that this is not a fishing forum, but that several fishers are active on here.
I am planning at least one solo trip of about a week in the next 6 months, but am still deciding where to go. The reason I want to do this in Tassie is for the many fishing options available and that is the focus of the trip for me. I have spent some time in the Tas highlands, fishing not camping, though I consider myself to have "intermediate" hiking/bush skills having done several trips in Victoria - generally in the alpine areas (I grew up in the snow).

I have read a lot of the posts here and found them very informative and interesting, and the general message I get is that I should be planning to stay on the marked trails, at least until I have more Tasmanian experience under my belt.

The advice I am seeking is for possible areas to go (I am looking to get some good flyfishing done). I am not too fussed about huts, though with the weather being as variable as it is up there it might be a good idea to set up camp near a hut. I am really trying to work out an area which offers plenty of scope for exploration of waters, being close to tracks, and preferrably not more than about 8km from 2wd car access (I only have a 2wd at present).

I would also love to hear from people about timing. I would like to possibly make 2 trips, one in November, and another in February, and can anyone give me any feedback on that or anything at all.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Western Lakes intermediate solo trip

Postby flyfisher » Tue 01 Sep, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi Pebbles, your stipulation of around 8 k's from the car probably makes your best area from Lake Ada, westward towards the walls of Jerusalem. There is a good track heading out from Ada, and this will take you to an area with an interesting group of smallish waters after abour 5 or 6 k's.
These lakes have plenty of good fish in them and there are some nice camp spots here 'n there.
Grab yourself a copy of the 25k Ada and Pillans map sand just keep track of where you are and you should be O.K.

FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania
Region: Tasmania

Postby Pebbles » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 12:10 pm

Thanks heaps flyfisher. I'll look into it. I was sort of thinking that Antimony might be a good base? Or would you recommend going further into the WOJ?

Another thought was to catch the ferry up to the top of St Clair, then hike in towards Junction/Meston. However I'm not sure whether the fishing in that area is too good?

If anyone has any links to good info about the walking tracks, huts, etc. in the Highlands, that would be really helpful too.

Geoff.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flyfisher » Wed 02 Sep, 2009 8:10 pm

Pebbles, there is a hut at Lake Antimony, and some good camping nearby. This would put you about 10ks from the Ada carpark which is the nearest 2wd access.
The 4wd track extends about 5ks out from Ada and is easy walking. From there the track follows the old track (4wd)which led to Lake Antimony and to Lake Fanny.
If you take the 25k Ada map you should be easily able to follow your position.There are some good landmarks such as the WOJ and the large mountains of the national park.
Generally the walking is quite open and quite easy. The lakes of the Pine river valley can fish very well at times, as can the Christys Creek lakes, passed on the way out.
Talleh lagoons are well worth a look.Pillans lake and the lagoons at the southern end can also produce lovely browns.
Dont bother with New years lake or anything upstream as there are no fish in this creek system.
Anyway good luck with it, but bring your own weather as ours is a bit u/s at the moment.

ff
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pebbles » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 8:56 am

Flyfisher,
Thank you. You've been a massive help and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I can't wait to get out there! :D

Geoff.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby norts » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 7:00 pm

Laast time I went there the gate was shut at Lake Augusta. Check that it is open before you leave, It is a long boring walk if you have to walk from Augusta to Ada.

Roger
DSCN2740 (Large).JPG
Lake Antimony Hut

DSCN2746a (Large).jpg
Road from Augusta to Ada
DSCN2746a (Large).jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 3026 times
norts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby BarryJ » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 7:11 pm

Given the recent weather, it is highly unlikely to be open before October, if then.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby flyfisher » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 7:37 pm

Couple of good pics there, some bigguns in Lake Paget (2nd pic) at times. :shock: :shock:

ff
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Pebbles » Thu 03 Sep, 2009 10:03 pm

Nice pics.
I spoke to Neil Grose today and he told me that when he left his house at Miena this morning there was 18" of snow on the ground, and that the Great Lake has risen by 3 metres in the last 6 months. I'm thinking it will probably be December at least before I get out there. Having never been into the Western Lakes before I'm happy to wait until things become a little "easier".
Thanks for the info though.

Geoff.
Pebbles
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania