South Coast Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track

Postby Steven » Fri 17 Jul, 2009 8:33 pm

I am walking the South Coast Track from Cockle Creek to Melaleuca commencing 7 November. I did this walk in 2006 walking the opposite, more popular direction. I would appreciate any views on the direction I am walking and if the track has changed over the past three years (I know that Par Avion has increased their prices by about 40%!). Is anyone else going to be on the track at the same time?
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: South Coast Track

Postby tasadam » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 7:24 am

I walked it that way same time last year with my wife.
It was fantastic.
Creek crossings can still be high. Walkers we met coming out (2nd or 3rd day for us) were telling us of snow and blizzards on the Ironbounds.
Crossing South Cape Rivulet was hip deep and I'm 178cm...
After crossing Louisa River it rained all night and the next day it would have been too dangerous to cross - as it was it was at least knee deep and had to be a bit wary - wouldn't have been fatal to fall over when we crossed but wouldn't like to do it if it were up much more.
The creeks, as you probably know, recede quickly enough once it stops raining so pays to have a day or two up your sleeve.
You could always consider flying supplies into Melaleuca in advance and they'll be there when you arrive, in case the weather is no good for flying - this is the biggest problem in walking it east-west.
I still believe the South Cape Range is the toughest day. You will know about the mud, and it was pretty bad in places.
Generally though, the track was better than the year before, according to my wife who also did it in November 2007.
We have heard that Granite Beach and other campsites have rodents that will eat through your tent or whatever to get to your food - take care where you store it.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby wello » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 9:37 am

I walked East to west in summer 2006/07, but have not walked west to east.

Going east to west there's a few key differences.

1. As you're going the opposite way to everyone else, you won't see the same people at each camp. This can sometimes be nice as you build up freindships over a long trip.
2. Day 2 is the South Coast Range, after a fairly easy half day down from Cockle Creek. This doesn't give you much chance to warm up, compared to the other side where youve had a chance to get into climbing on Red Point Hills before tackling the Iron bounds on Day 3.
3. You climb the Ironbounds in rainforest, and descend in low srcub. I think this is a big advantage, as you can fully enjoy the magnificent views you get from the western side of the Ironbounds. There's also a bit more water on the eastern side, which means carrying a little less weight for the climb.
4. There's more potential side trips at the western end. If you've had a good run with the weather, you may have enough time left to climb a few peaks (New Harbour range, Counsel, Melaleuca) around Cox's Bight. If you do these on the way going west to east, you either have to carry more food, or risk not having any spare days for floods.

Cheers
Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 12:56 pm

There is a problem developing with false leads on the track ascending the Ironbound Range from Little Deadmans Bay. The track contours around several ridges and crosses creeks as it leaves the main ridge and heads for Little Deadmans Bay. This is not a problem when descending heading east, but is causing confusion when going east to west. Parks have brought this to walkers attention at the Cockle Creek sign on spot with this recent notice.
Parks Notice re E>W Ironbounds track .JPG
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Steven » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks very much for the replies. I am expecting mud - and lots of it - as well as rain. When I walked west-east in 2006 (26-Dec to 3 Jan) it rained everyday. Ascending the South Cape Range was like walking through a waterfall all the way up. On the top of the Ironbounds the wind literally blew me over three times (I'm 88kgs and my pack was about 20kgs!). For all the mud and water, we did get some sunshine. I said I'd never walk it again but looking back the best parts far outweigh the bad parts. I'm looking forward to it.
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Jaxter » Sat 18 Jul, 2009 1:20 pm

I walked the track east to west starting a couple days before Christmas 2007. It was nice to miss the hoards who arrived in Melaleuca on Boxing Day. We passed 33 walkers one day, including a tour group of 17 - I wouldn't have wanted to share campsites with them the whole way! I don't suppose you'll run into that problem in November.

I agree with Tasadam about flying in some extra supplies - even if you don't need to wait extra days its just nice having a few luxuries for your last night. We sent over wine and cake and chocolate and eggs and had a real feed that night and for breakie the next day.

I also agree that South Cape Range on the 2nd day is a killer. Maybe with a bit of mental preparation it wouldn't have been so bad, but I didn't know what I was in for at the time. After that, going up the Ironbound Range was "easy" :shock: !
Jaxter
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania