Frenchmans Cap Circuit

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Frenchmans Cap Circuit

Postby Steven » Sun 24 May, 2009 12:03 pm

I am walking Frenchmans Cap in November starting at Victoria Pass and finishing at the carpark. Does anyone have any advice as to how difficult the navigation will be north of Irenabyss and what it will be like crossing the Franklin at Irenabyss at that time of the year. Any other information would be appreciated.
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Frenchmans Cap Circuit

Postby tastrax » Sun 24 May, 2009 2:29 pm

Check out this post - lots of info there...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1454
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 24 May, 2009 4:57 pm

Weather can be variable in spring, and the water in the Irenabyss can rise a lot and quickly after rain. So if there's been any significant rain, expect to wait a long time. When camping on the North side of the Irenabyss, I noticed water-deposited debris in the trees about 3 metres above the height of the camp site (which in turn was about 3 metres above the height of the river). I've read elsewhere that the height of the river can rise to 10 metres above normal level, which is just huge.

There are a couple of different routes between Flat Bluff and the Irenabyss, both are hard going. There's also a couple of different routes from the road to Flat Bluff - the long one and the hard one. As this is an off-track area much of the way, and a fairly sensitive area, I won't post details here, in the public forum.

The topic tastrax referred to, and a couple of others on the forums have a little info, although nothing specific about the routes (search for frenchmans irenabyss)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby tasadam » Tue 26 May, 2009 5:27 pm

Hhmmm. The difficult bit would be the bit between the start and the finish. Actually that's not right. The last 50 metres to the carpark is boardwalked and flat.

OK seriously.
Crossing the river from reverse direction is going to be a bit more tricky, depending on the flow.
The second last photo in this topic (warning lots of photos in that topic) has this image - this is taken from the north side, showing the proposed swim on the way from the other side.
As the river flow will be all wrong for you, you'd really need to get yourself upstream more, which could prove difficult as the second image portrays.

If it has been raining a lot, probably abandon plans to do this trip as you won't get across (or it would be way too dangerous to trry) and there will be nowhere to camp as you descend to the river.
It's very steep too. Slippery mud on the way down to the river.
You can always go to the carpark before you commence, and take a trip down to the river to see what the flow is like. Then hope it doesn't pour for two days in the catchment area.
Victoria pass, as Nik said, two ways. I'd take the long way. Bush bashing uphill from Vic Pass is a prospect I wouldn't even envy.
Very thick.
Did it once, the downhill way, when I was young and more foolish.

Anything else I can add should not be discussed in public in line with forum rules - Nik is right in that the area is very sensitive - particularly Flat Bluff.

Oh, one more thing. Mary Creek Plains. Nightmares just typing the words. There was a time when I couldn't, and had to copy & paste. I must be getting better.
Read the link and you will understand. You have been warned. :shock:
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 26 May, 2009 7:53 pm

I agree with Adam... do NOT try to walk up Bubs Hill. Walking down (or scrambling... I can't remember being on my two feet the entire way down) through the thick scrub over unstable rocks, where you can't see where you're putting your feet is hard enough.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Steven » Tue 26 May, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks for your replies. Although I'm an experienced walker, I am taking 3 other fit, but inexperienced walkers with me. I'll give the circuit a big miss. I might suggest a more sedentary walk around Walls of Jerusalem.
Steven
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Tue 26 May, 2009 9:34 pm

Good idea.
The swim across the Franklin after days of walking is enough to turn many off...

Actually, that was my first overnight walk in Tassie (reverse to your plan). And I took my wife on the same walk as her 1st overnighter... Maybe I should shut up... :|

Seriously, there are some great walks in Tassie that don't involve such an arduous challenge as your initial suggestion. I wish you the very best with what you decide, and do come and ask if you are looking for ideas or advice.
Cheers!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 27 May, 2009 10:13 am

It's well worth doing the Frechman's Cap walk in and out the usual route (not a circuit). It's still a very challenging walk, and well worth doing (so long as you can put up with the mud on the Lodden Plains). It's highly recommended, and you can get a bit of a view of the rest of the circuit for next time. I did the usual walk into Frenchman's the first time, and at the time it was the hardest walk I'd ever done (that's without the circuit, and all on the main formed track).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Wed 27 May, 2009 11:25 am

Yep, good point, I did the usual circuit the second time (of three visits so far). Actually did it as a solo about Christmas '92 or '93 so plenty of people about, fine weather (which was a bonus) and I didn't go off track.
I remember I did Vera to Highway in 4 hrs 50 mins, without avoiding the mud. One of those lucky times when much of it was hard enough crust on top not to break through.
It wasn't a race, but I was in the zone and I had my trusty sustagen working well for me.

Whatever you do, have fun!
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby bjefferson » Wed 27 May, 2009 12:29 pm

We had a group do this walk in the opposite direction (Irenabyss to Victoria Pass) in late April 2009.

We didn't experience any problems swimming north accross the Franklin at Irenabyss. A rope was useful for pulling packs accross. There was an extremely strong swimmer in our group who would swim south accross the river to return the end of the rope to the south side (he had to swim hard accross and against the current along the line in the photo identified in Tasadam's post - he did this about 4 times).

Two of our party walked out via Bub's Hill. It was very steep with impenetrable areas of terrain. Had to lower the packs off a few ledges and jump or lower ouselves down. Would be very difficult going up with a heavy pack.

Brett
bjefferson
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania