Mc Coy's Hut

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mc Coy's Hut

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 May, 2009 12:19 pm

I notice a couple of huts by this name marked on the map. I had a bit of a look for both on a Pelion trip recently. Is there anything to find of them these days?
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Mc Coy's Hut

Postby bauera » Sat 16 May, 2009 1:34 pm

On Lees Track, close to where it joins the Arm River Track, is McCoys's Hut NO. 2 (?) - I think. This is just a few bits of timber, wire etc in a pile. There is no recognisable hut left, just the debris. If you blinked whilst hurrying past you might miss it. For those in the know there are probably lots of reminders of human activity in the area - cleared land and remains of yards etc, but I didn't notice much other than a change of vegetation and the ruins as we walked through. Not sure about the other hut - I am sure someone will know details.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 May, 2009 3:38 pm

I'll look out for it next time. The other is marked on a couple of maps not that far from the Arm river Tr on the way into Pelion. In the vicinity of the big creek you cross ?

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wanderer » Sun 17 May, 2009 10:25 am

There is a hut upstream of Warragarra Creek, probably the "big creek you cross".
Not exactly sure of it's name.
wanderer
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania