Forth River

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Forth River

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 May, 2009 12:17 pm

When out at the Pelion Plain recently I went for a stroll out to the Old Pelion Hut. I crossed the river and followed an old marked trail for a while till it started to drop steeply down into what I assumed was the Forth Valley. Does any one know what the going is like down into the valley? Is it possible to walk out on the road marked on the maps? Is this worth looking at as a circuit trip?

K
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Forth River

Postby bauera » Sat 16 May, 2009 1:46 pm

You would have been on the wolfram mines track. The mine, right down at river level in the valley, has not been operated for many years but the road to it used to provide relatively short access via the walking track to the Pelion area. I believe the road may no longer be readily passable, although the 4WD fraternity may be able to advise. You could certainly walk out on it and the track definitely joins it. Longish road walk, though, with a few creek crossings, probably only minor.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby kanangra » Sat 16 May, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks. Thought it might make a good round trip.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby corvus » Sun 17 May, 2009 5:40 pm

Not to be recommended as it now entails a 25km road/4wd track after you have overcome the downed trees etc on your decent to the Mine however it is doable ,worth it ??.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania