Mt Field - Tenting around Lake Dobson

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Field - Tenting around Lake Dobson

Postby Will » Wed 06 May, 2009 2:34 pm

Taking a uni group of to Mt Field on the weekend and wondering if there is any reasonable (+ free) tent sites around the general Lake Dobson/Eagle tarn area.
Potentially getting there late-ish and don't want to be floundering around looking for an area. Looking at up to 4 2P tents.

Normally I would just wing it with a tent and walk in the dark if I had too but thats not the best approach in this situation...

Thanks
Will
Will
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: Mt Field - Tenting around Lake Dobson

Postby kramster » Thu 07 May, 2009 3:15 pm

I'm not aware of any specified camping areas actually around Lake Dobson - I think the lake and direct ski-fields area are "day-use" only (but you might want to check the Parks website to make sure).
If you don't mind a little walk, you could get up to the ski-fields and try and find a tenting place over near Mt Mawson (between 30 - 60 min walk, mostly on 4wd track).
In the "downhill" direction, you might find some camping spots on the edge of Platypus Tarn or the river exiting Lk Webster.

There's always the "official" campsite back down at the park entrance - but that will cost $$$.
Some cheap-and-cheerful huts exist at Lk Dobson too which Parks manage ($40 for up to 6 adults) http://parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=412#mt
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Swifty » Sat 09 May, 2009 12:09 pm

Probably a bit late now, but there are good campsites at Lake Seal, just take the turn off from the track to Lake Webster. It's been so long since I was there, I can't remember distances, but I don't think it's too far.
Swifty
Ossua vetera
Swifty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Will » Sun 10 May, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks Guys,

Ended up getting away early on the friday so it ended up being a casual walk to Twilight Tarn.
And then a not so casual 'swim'...
Will
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania