Trail from Lake MacKenzie

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Trail from Lake MacKenzie

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 04 May, 2009 6:17 pm

Does anyone have any info on the trail that heads due South for around 5km (as a crow flies) from Lake MacKenzie? Google Earth shows it ending by a couple of lakes. Any info or feedback would be appreciated!

The trail head is roughly at: 41.41.00.12S 146.22.26.47E

Cheers!
the_camera_poser

Re: Trail from Lake MacKenzie

Postby corvus » Mon 04 May, 2009 8:03 pm

G'day t_c_p,
Cant make heads or tails of your grid refs however I think you may be referring to the Blue Peaks track that leads to very popular fishing lakes .
I suspect FF would have been there so he may be able to give you better information :)
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 04 May, 2009 8:21 pm

Yes, as Corvus said, I think you're referring to the Blue Peaks 'track'. This is the walk from which these forums were actually born (while trying to find information on this walk, and not being able to find it anywhere).

Hence one of the very first topics in the forums is the one about the Blue Peaks.

The track is quite easy walking all the way, as far as physical exertion goes. However, the 'track' is very indistinct in a few spots and I would guess that many people lose the track at least once on their first visit to the area. There is very little in the way of landmarks, making it hard to find your way by map and compass once you get off the track. If you get fog, then you're stuffed (unless you have a GPS - I don't).

We lost the track in a big way on the way in, but we had great weather and were able to identify our position eventually, and rejoin the track. We lost it again on the way out, but I was paying more attention this time, and pulled the guys back as soon as I realised (rather than just follow along as I did on the way in). Have a look at the topic linked to above for other people's comments on how easy it is to get lost up there.

The Blue Peaks area itself if very nice once you get there. The lakes are good, but if you walk a little further, you get to Little Throne, which is even better, and beyond that, are many more lakes than you can poke a stick at, all very beautiful.

If you're at all decent at navigation, you can find your way lake-hopping from there through to Lake Nameless, or Lake Explorer, and could make a circuit of it by following Explorer Creek back out to Lake McKenzie (do NOT attempt to cross explorer creek on the flat stretch immediately south of Lake Explorer - cross it where it is flowing over rocks - the mud is VERY deep and VERY soft - virtually quick-mud)
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby the_camera_poser » Mon 04 May, 2009 9:29 pm

That's the hike I had in mind. Thanks guys. I better brush up on those GPS skills LOL
the_camera_poser

Return to Tasmania