Devil's Throne Junctions

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Devil's Throne Junctions

Postby weetbix456 » Mon 04 May, 2009 6:13 pm

Hey!
Last weekend I attempted the Devil's Throne Circit on mount wellington, starting by crossing the Thark Ridge and hoping to loop round to Devil's Throne by decending the southern end of the ridge and crossing the marsh as described in Jan Hardy + Bert Elson's Mount Wellington walks book. However by the time i got to the Wellington falls/Mt Montague junction i realised i had gone wayyyy to far and turned back. On my return I could still only manage to find the shortcut route which turns off a few minutes after the Municipality Cairn. Out of fustrations sake would any body be kind enough to help me find this more "frequently used route" to Devil's Throne. Thankyou! :)
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare
Region: Tasmania

Re: Devil's Throne Junctions

Postby SueOfTheSouth » Mon 04 May, 2009 10:29 pm

Not sure what you mean by finding the short cut route! It is a great circuit walk, after going to the end of Thark Ridge and past a small Tarn on your left you come to a boulder in the middle of the track, marked with a fading red dot. before the descent to Mt Montague. Turn right here over a few small rock slabs and a pad takes you to the edge of some large boulders. A few rock cairns lead down to a pad that takes you over the plateau to Devils Throne. The circuit continues along the ridge and over the plain to an old 4w d track. Follow this and cross another wide track onto a pad that ascends more large boulders to take you back to the junction of the Thark Ridge track again. Hope this helps.
SueOfTheSouth
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Re: Devil's Throne Junctions

Postby weetbix456 » Tue 05 May, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for the reply! I think you are talking about the same intersection i ended up taking and it was the only one i could find. This was a great walk, it was just in the Mt Wellington walks book the authors mention a longer route that decends the ridge and swings right through marshland and Its just bugging me not knowing for future reference, and other people following the same directions i used as its meant to be the more straight forward route. Here is a picture of where i turned off.
Attachments
Thark Ridge + Devils Throne Intersection (600 x 450).jpg
Thark Ridge/Devil's Throne Turnoff
Thark Ridge + Devils Throne Intersection (600 x 450).jpg (98.93 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
weetbix456
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TWGA, TCIA, CragCare

Return to Tasmania