Lake Rhona

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Rhona

Postby adventuregirl » Sun 03 May, 2009 8:59 pm

I simply have to start a topic on this magical place...

Who has been there?

What does everyone think of the place?

I have been there twice in the past year, in June and then December. Both 3 day trips, in the December trip got up Reeds peak and also Bond's Crag, (and had a rather epic off track walk back to the lake... note to people: go back the way you came!) In the June trip got partway up to Reed's peak. The sun doesn't hit the beach in June, and putting on frozen boots wasn't that pleasant, but the place is just stunning.. . I had fine weather both trips and it was just magical .

Didn't have any probs with the Gordon River and the track was fairly boggy both trips (about the same) through the flats, but you just push on through the mud and get over it. It took about 5-6 hours to get to the lake.

I wonder if there is any chance of getting Parks to install a toilet there - it is a little bit concerning as it isn't great ground to dig holes, and you can see where people have been. But considering it is conservation area and not national park and not THAT frequently visited I can't see it happening - perhaps people should be encouraged to carry out waste? (gross i know, but you have to do it in the snow)

anyways if anyone has any questions about the walk, feel free to ask, and i would like to put some pictures up but I think all my photo files are too large! :(
adventuregirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake Rhona

Postby ollster » Sun 03 May, 2009 9:28 pm

Been there... great spot, but desperately needs a toilet or some other form of camp site management!
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby stu » Mon 04 May, 2009 8:30 am

A great slice of our beautiful state to be sure :D
At least this beach will be safe from flooding :mrgreen:

Only been in there once, where I happened to meet Ollster & his clan for the first of many meetings :wink:

Definitely agree about the toilet issue, discussed in the link below (sorry don't know how to add an internal link?).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1290&p=10242&hilit=Rhona#p10169

A steel shovel left near the camping area would help as the small trowels don't really cut it, especially the plastic variety.
Probably wouldn't rely on Parks to do much as it is a designated remote area zone. A pod would help protect the place tho;
as much as I'd like to, I'd probably be hesitant to ever swim there due to the 'floating cigar / brown trout / blind mullet' (pick your metaphor) issues :shock:

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby tasadam » Mon 04 May, 2009 4:59 pm

adventuregirl wrote: and i would like to put some pictures up but I think all my photo files are too large! :(
This post has some tips for resizing your images to fit.
As this topic is not in the gallery, if you are going to exceed 200kb (per member per topic), you can change the intro in the topic to add a warning about multiple images.
Or if you have lots of images you can let me know and I can move the topic to the gallery.
Or you can leave this topic here for discussion about Lake Rhona and add a gallery topic with your images.

stubowling wrote:Definitely agree about the toilet issue, discussed in the link below (sorry don't know how to add an internal link?).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1290&p=10242&hilit=Rhona#p10169

Like this (what you type, and how it turns out).
link.JPG
How to turn text into a link
link.JPG (16.21 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
Use copy and paste to save typing, also you can click on
url.JPG
URL button
url.JPG (1.8 KiB) Viewed 2736 times

Code: Select all
[url]http://url[/url] or [url=http://url]URL text[/url]
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio