How fast can you do Feda?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

How fast can you do Feda?

Postby geoffmallo » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 10:52 am

I've got a little bit of time and am wondering if I may be able to do Feda quickly? Obviously from farmhouse creek. How long do you think you need if you don't run? Walking long days and fast and light?

Geoff
geoffmallo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: How fast can you do Feda?

Postby Azza » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 2:33 pm

You've probably missed the best opportunity to do it quickly with daylight savings gone.

The quickest I've done it is 3.5 days with my girlfriend.
The half day being - knocking off work at Lunch time and walking over the Piction Saddle to the South Cracroft in the evening.
The following day we continued on and walking up Moss Ridge to Bechervaise Plateau.
Next day popped up to the top, weather was pretty attrocious so we descended Moss Ridge to the base.
Last day we walked out to Farmhouse creek.

I've also walked out from Bechervaise Plateau in a very long day. So there is plenty of scope for shaving more time off.
Another option would be to camp at the base and do a day trip up Moss Ridge to the top and back.

So 3 days minimum without going completely crazy.

How fast you can do probably depends on how muddy the track is... probably pretty wet and horrible at the moment.

Cheers

Aaron
Azza
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dee_legg » Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:05 pm

I've read reports of people doing it overnight.. obviously crazy people but proves it can be done.
dee_legg
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby MJD » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 1:12 pm

It has been done in under 24 hours. However for us mere mortals a three day trip is probably a sensible option. In my younger days I walked into the bottom of Moss Ridge the first day and was on the top the next afternoon, and that was carrying a pack the whole way (except for up the direct ascent)because I continued on out over the Eastern Arthurs to the Arthur Plains. Camping at the base of Moss Ridge, up to the top and back on the second day, and out day three sounds reasonable.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania