Lees Paddock Walk

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lees Paddock Walk

Postby Tasallan » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:04 am

Made my first walk into Lees Paddock yesterday and what a beautiful, tranquil place it is. What a magic spot Lewis Lees built his hut on. When we arrived at the hut the door was wide open and the animals had been inside and scattered peoples rubbish all over the floor. It is not very difficult to shut a door or take your rubbish with you but apparently too difficult for some moron.
The track in was quite boggy in places and by the rapid flow of the Mersey there must have had quite a bit of rain up there. My GPS told me the walk in was 8.4KM and it took us 2 hours and 20 minutes to walk in.
On the way out we walked into Oxley Falls - and what a surprise, another hidden treasure and possibly one of the best falls I have seen in Tasmania - with the rapid flow of the Mersey it was a spectacular site - photo attached.
Attachments
oxley-falls.jpg
The magnificent Oxley Falls made a spectacular site.
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lees Paddock Walk

Postby Clownfish » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:29 am

We walked to Lees Paddocks in late summer, and Oxley Falls were as dry as a bone. Nice to see what they look like when there's water!

That's a pity about the hut; the owners let us use their private property, the least people can do is show them a little respect.
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GerryDuke » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 5:49 pm

I'm with you Tasallan - they are the prettiest falls at the right water level which you got. A little work on the track and it could become one of the great Tasmanian short walks. Shouldn't condemn people too quickly - the wind may have blown open the door which just may not have been closed properly.

Gerry
GerryDuke
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Operator of www.TouringTasmania.info web site

Postby Tasallan » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 6:48 pm

I most certainly agree with you Gerryduke that with some track work this Lees Paddock walk could well become one of Tasmania's iconic day walks.
You are generous in your comment that the door may have blown open - I closed the door correctly and then pushed and rattled the door several times and the catch did not give away, I stand by my original comment.
Yes Oxley Falls were certainly spectacular.
Tasallan
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Crum » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 11:26 pm

Those falls certainly are spectacular. I can't believe we didn't make the effort to look at them when we did the walk. There was those and another set which almost sounded like thunder when we did the walk. After seeing the pic I'm a bit disappointed. Good excuse to do the walk again I think
Crum
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby lyndoor » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 5:19 pm

These are beautiful Falls. When I was in there a few years ago in winter after good rains, the Oxley was a miniture version of Niagara. Thunderous & very speccy!

Last year a group of us walked into Lees Paddock, overnighted at Wadley's Hut & walked along the Mersey River & upto Kia Ora Hut. Great walk but it was difficult in parts to find the track.

We fancied that we had time to walk up Pelion East & onto New Pelion Hut for the night. Anyone doing this, do allow plenty of time for yourself. As familar as we were with the Overland Track, we were still scratching our heads along the track at night. :?

lyndoor
lyndoor
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby corvus » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 7:26 pm

lyndoor wrote:These are beautiful Falls. When I was in there a few years ago in winter after good rains, the Oxley was a miniture version of Niagara. Thunderous & very speccy!

Last year a group of us walked into Lees Paddock, overnighted at Wadley's Hut & walked along the Mersey River & upto Kia Ora Hut. Great walk but it was difficult in parts to find the track.

We fancied that we had time to walk up Pelion East & onto New Pelion Hut for the night. Anyone doing this, do allow plenty of time for yourself. As familar as we were with the Overland Track, we were still scratching our heads along the track at night. :?

lyndoor

lyndoor ,
A timely reminder that this is not the benign area beyond the Paddocks area that lots think it is, a wrong turning in the Myrtle Forest and yes that tree looks like that tree and so on (not helped by some track marking changes) which threw me and caused delays on the way down recently.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Return to Tasmania