South Coast track in Winter

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast track in Winter

Postby LetsGo » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi everyone,

just stumbled across this great forum!

Wanted to ask a question about walking the south coast track in winter. My Tasmanian cousin and i did the south coast track, including the Port Davey track, in 2008 in January. it was a great experience and we are planning on doing the walk again this winter, in June. We have a fair amount of winter experience in Tassy and just wanted to hear some more peoples experiences of doing this walk in winter.

cheers
LetsGo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Re: South Coast track in Winter

Postby Penguin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 4:19 pm

Wet. Cold. Short Days.

Cheers P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby LetsGo » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 4:27 pm

yup figured that :D ....was more after peoples specific experiences
LetsGo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dan » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 4:57 pm

Penguin wrote:Wet. Cold. Short Days.

Cheers P

Thanks, Penguin - very helpful :)

I'm the Tasmanian cousin, FYI.
dan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Penguin » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 8:45 pm

didn't say I don't enjoy mid winter walks - I organise one each year. We have struggled getting the expected daily disatances due to the shorter days. Love my warm winter walking cloths too.

Are the rivers up more during winter? I haven't cheked the rainfall pattern.

P
Penguin

Postby Lynda Moir » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 8:59 pm

We have only walked the South Coast track in summer and the trip was very wet and muddy. Also in winter I would imagine there could be problems with the creek crossings and around the rocky headlands.
Good luck!
Lynda
Lynda Moir
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby LetsGo » Wed 08 Apr, 2009 5:37 pm

thanks guys. Yeh i guess we already knew what the issues will be. My concern is probably the water level of some of the creeks/rivers, we should be fine. we will post some pics ect up on our return!
LetsGo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby matthias » Sun 19 Apr, 2009 12:52 pm

I wouldn't underestimate the shorter days in winter. I walked the track over Easter and it definitly had a big influence on my walk. Depending on the location of the campsite (e.g. in forests) it was sometimes dark by 5.30pm so I always tried to reach the campsite by 3pm to have enough time for setting up tent/changing clothes/cooking etc. I wish there would have been more time to go for a short walk after dinner sometimes.
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby David Mitchell » Wed 06 May, 2009 10:48 am

I echo Matthias' comments. We walked the Track 18-25 April just gone. We had a week of dry weather, preceded by some rain. Track was still quite muddy in places, which slows progress considerably. Available daylight hours are quite short - and shorter in June. On the two longer days we started before sunrise. Creeks and rivers were Ok but as I said we had a dry week. Beware of South Cape Rivulet - we arrived as tide was turning and once the sand bar is breached by incoming tide the crossing goes from knee to waist deep in 10 minutes.
David Mitchell
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby tasadam » Wed 06 May, 2009 1:00 pm

David Mitchell wrote: the crossing goes from knee to waist deep in 10 minutes.
Agreed, when I crossed in November 2008 the water was above my bum. Was higher the previous evening.
As Tassie winters are usually wet, I can imagine the mud being slushier, and possibly deeper too.
As well, the massive winter swells will present challenging waves crashing on the shore and it may be hard to proceed over some parts.
Other factors already covered (cold, wet, deep crossings, short days)
Might I also recommend you chat to the Parks ranger that looks after the S C track, they may have some good info and I have always found them willing to help.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac
Region: Tasmania

Postby LetsGo » Thu 07 May, 2009 5:42 pm

thanks guys, all your comments are appreciated. we definitely do not under-estimate the short days (or any of the other issues when it comes to a tassy winter) but they wont be an issue for us. fingers crossed for a couple of dry days. i look forward to posting a blog and some pics on our return.

cheers.
LetsGo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Penguin » Thu 07 May, 2009 7:01 pm

Have a great time. Looking forward to great sunrise/sunset shots.

P
Penguin

Postby Michelle » Sun 10 May, 2009 4:15 am

HI,thanks for your post I'm also planning on doing the south coast track late this June and had wondered about the same things, particularly the crossings. Think I'll contact the ranger too. Does anyone have any good suggestions for week or so long walks that are good in winter? ie not too impractical due to snow and weather?

Thanks
Michelle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Michelle » Sun 10 May, 2009 6:17 am

Another question,

How are you planning to get to your starting point? Are you flying in/out of melaleuca or are you going from Scott's Peak Dam? (sorry if you already said that, scatty night shift brain at the moment! roll on 7am and home time!) My bf and I are wanting to go from Scott's Peak Dam to Cockle Creek. Don't know how to get to Scott's Peak dam coz the buses, provided by Tassie Link I guess, don't run in winter? (their time tables for bushwalking services were unavailable last time I checked but I'm guessing no winter service). Obviously no point driving as we wouldn't be able to get back to the car. We think we could hitch-hike out of Cockle creek to dover and get the tassie link school bus from Dover to hobart (where we live), but what about scott's peak dam?

Do you just have to get someone you know to drop you off? Any other options?

Thanks,
Michelle.
Michelle
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby LetsGo » Mon 11 May, 2009 10:06 pm

yeh transport is a tricky one in winter....especially if you don't have private transport organised, or someone who can pick you up at cockle creek. We are planning on flying into Melaleuca and walking out...this just means we can't be stuck in Melaleuca for days if the weather turns bad at the end. There are a few private charter/taxi services around that could probably pick you up from cockle creek...but they are normally pretty expensive
LetsGo
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Tasmania