4-5 days in the south west

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

4-5 days in the south west

Postby samh » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 2:39 pm

I'm looking forward to the easter holiday and plan to go down south for a bushwalk for about 4-5 days, but I'm wondering what would be the best option. I'm looking for a medium to hard walk and I dont mind to walk for a couple of days and coming back the same way. Ithought about the area around Mt. Anne, around the Western Arthurs or the south coast track what are the options ? I'm happy for any suggestion
thanks
Sam
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: 4-5 days in the south west

Postby matthias » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 10:59 pm

I think 4-5 days would be a bit short for the South Coast Track, most people take/need around 7 days. I'm planning to walk the South Coast Track myself on Easter and my itinerary is for 7 days, which is still optimistic and depends on weather conditions. A shorter alternative could be Port Davey Track, but it normally requires either flying in or flying out to/from Melaleuca, like the SCT.
For a list of all tracks in the area with descriptions I can only recommend Chapmans book 'South West Tasmania'. It's quite useful and was updated last year.
Here's a trip report for Port Davey Track: http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2008/07/port-davey-track-trip-report.html
matthias
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby jamesp » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 1:39 pm

Having just done the South Coast & Port Davey, I wouldn't recommend them for what you want.
The South Coast needs 5 days min, so a spare day or so is best.
Port Davey is doable in 3.5 [hard], but its a lot of mud & walking down large valleys.

Mt Anne circuit is a far more interesting walk & you have time to include Schnell's ridge to the South.
You can get up Schnells from where the circuit track crosses the Western end
& descend it from one of the northern ridges. Details should be available by searching,
but I can give you more when I get a map in front of me.

JamesP
jamesp
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby samh » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 6:08 pm

sorry if I didnot make my intentions clear enough, I did not want to walk the whole SCT just something like 2 days in 2 days out, if that would be possible and a little interesting. However I also had rather the Mt Anna circuit in mind, does anyone have a good online resource about that track, some trip report or so?
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 6:46 pm

What kind of walking experience do you have?

The My Anne circuit has some tricky bits, namely "The Notch" and the Anne summit.

Frenchman's Cap is a good walk, though you might find it a little short depending on how fast you go, but there is a bit of extra stuff to do if you want to depart the normal trails.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby samh » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 7:41 pm

well so far we haven't done a lot of multi-day-walks except from the Walls of J. for a couple of times. We (my wife and I) have done a few daywalks though manly in the north. Cradle summit, Mt Roland, Mt Rufus, Qumby Bluff... we have done a few of those in winter. I think Mt Anne should be ok.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 8:11 pm

Do you mean to do this solo - that's the impression I get? Others may disagree, but judging on your list of walks, I don't think Anne is a good proposition, especailly solo. Frenchman's would be much safer, but I still don't really think with the level of experience you have that it's a good idea to do a solo (if that's your intention).
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 8:53 pm

So what about the South Coast track?
Start at Cockle Creek and go in for a couple of days - as far as you want to / as time permits, then back the way you came.
This gives you an insight to what you're in for on the return journey, thus you can judge how far to go. Might I suggest Osmiridium Beach or somewhere like that?
There's a good map you can get on the South Coast walk, it shows where all the campsites are and has some great info on the back of it. I'd recommend getting it laminated and roll it up, seems to help my maps last a long time. Typical maps a bit under $10, and about the same to get them laminated.

South Cape Rivulet to Granite Beach is a tough full day so be ready for that. I'm sure that would have been mentioned somewhere here if you do a search.
This is a well defined track, yet a very interesting and challenging walk. It involves river crossings, MUD, hilly terrain, beach walking, forests, spectacular views - a bit of everything.
And if the weather turned, no need to go any further as there is so much to see in this part of the world - just to be there and appreciate the wildness.

A quick edit - mud is mainly on the section South Cape Rivulet to Granite Beach though some boarding has been done.
Also be mindful of the South Cape Rivulet crossing - if it's fine when you cross then it buckets down you may well be trapped on the wrong side and have no option but to wait for it to subside.
That can take some time.
When I crossed in November '08 it was waist deep and fairly quick. We would not have wanted to cross the evening before with the standing waves and the very fast current -
SCrivulet.JPG
South Cape Rivulet with standing waves
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby samh » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 4:19 pm

So what kind of prerequisite would you suggest to do the Mt. Anne circuit? I havent been in that area so I don't know what to expect there. I would be happy for any advise I can get
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 5:23 pm

samh wrote:So what kind of prerequisite would you suggest to do the Mt. Anne circuit? I havent been in that area so I don't know what to expect there. I would be happy for any advise I can get

Just so I'm clear - are you intending to walk solo? Or with a group or partner?

People have often died or just simply dissapeared in the SW, so it's not to be taken lightly! :D

I'm not saying Mt Anne is too hard for you, but you really need to be 100% certain of your navigational and survival skills and experience, just in case it does snow or white out, or blow 120kph. You could fall, lose the track etc. Any risk like this is 10x worse if you're solo.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:25 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that again we will be two people, me and my wife. I mean in fine weather I think it would be fine but I never know as it can change so quickly. On the other hand I could go up to shelf camp and then decide if I keep going further or not.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:39 pm

OK, that's not so bad. I'd still be inclined to steer you towards Frenchmans. It's a lot safer, IMO. But yeah, If you get out to shelf camp, you could push on toward the notch and still have the option of turning back.

You could also try walking into Lake Oberon (or Cygnus if you can't get as far as Oberon) in the Western Arthurs and then back out again along the same path. That would mean you wouldn't have to do some of the nasty stuff, whilst still getting a feel for the terrain.

As someone else above said, I'd also recommend getting a copy of Chapman's South West Tasmania book. Very, very useful starting point.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:52 pm

thanks for the info, I plan to get chapmans book from a friend. if everything fails or if I feel unsure I would still have Lake Rhona up teh sleeve even though thats a completly different category.
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ollster » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 7:04 pm

Rhona's pretty good, but yeah, not really as challenging.

Be aware that cause it's Easter these places will probably have quite a few people around, so camp space could be at a premium.
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby samh » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 7:12 pm

thanks for your help, I'll give a report what I ended up doing
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby tas-man » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 1:26 am

If you are prepared to fly in and out of Melaleuca, you could go to South West Cape. Chapmans new book will cover all the details, but one scenario would be to fly in to Melaleuca and walk to New Harbour Beach campsite. Day two walk to Wilson Bight and camp there (good track all the way), then day three, day walk to South West Cape and back, then day four/five retrace your route to fly out of Melaleuca. I consider the New Harbour Beach to Wilson Bight area to be the pick of the SW, with a rapidly varying terrain making for rewarding walking, and spectacular if the weather is kind.
"The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot."
Werner Herzog
tas-man
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby samh » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 3:18 pm

As promised a quick report on how we went on the easter weekend. We started the Mt Anne circuit on Saturday, we had good weather and a nice day. We arrived at shelf camp towards the evening and set up our tent, sadly it was already to late to check around the area, as we started walking a bit late.

mt anne.jpg

During the night the weather changed a lot, we had big winds and in the morning we were caught up in clouds and it started to rain. After a while of waiting and hoping for the weather to clear up without any luck we decided to return.

shelf camp.jpg

During the whole day the Plateau of Mt Eliza to Mt Anne was coverd in clouds, sadly. We look forward to try again another time.
The next day we decided to go to Lake Rhone then. We had great weather and and enjoyed the day alot even though the track was very muddy all the way. We met quite a few on our way in on Monday but could not see anyone on the way out the day after.

lake rhona.jpg
samh
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bauera » Tue 21 Apr, 2009 9:38 pm

good choices, samh. You obviously had lovely weather the first day on Mt Anne and when cloudy it is a "beach" (as son of a .... might say). Discretion definitely the better part. Lake Rhona is a great spot and well worth the less than inspiring walk in.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania