Mt Shakespeare/Lake Daphne

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Shakespeare/Lake Daphne

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 11:37 am

Anyone been up to Mt Shakespeare From Lake Daphne over Wylds Craig?? Looks like it wouldnt be too hard a journey......
Last edited by ILUVSWTAS on Sat 04 Apr, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Mt Shakespear/Lake Daphne

Postby stu » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:01 pm

Funny you mention this one SW, I was contemplating a long day trip to Shakespeare last weekend, but due to commitments on Saturady night (was expecting a 10+ hour day) went & did Wherretts Lookout instead (anyone going to this one, please look out for a Pentax compact camera in the final scrub bash to the summit :D ).

I'd also be interested to hear about this route, amount of scrub etc. as I have only been as far as Wylds Craig.

Stu B.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bauera » Sun 29 Mar, 2009 8:13 am

I have wandered a little way down the ridge from Wylds towards Daphne in good weather. It was not too scrubby and fairly easy going. Looks similar all the way to Daphne and Shakespeare. Be interested to hear how you go.
bauera
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks dudes!! Thinking of spending a night up near wylds maybe near the lake then a day bash up mt shakespeare the next day.
May have to get onto it soon as the days are now getting quite short......

Has anyone been up to wylds from the new foresrty coup? I tooknthe original track up last time was fairly easy to follow but became much easier once i got to the coup junction.
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Fri 03 Apr, 2009 8:16 pm

I have been to Wylds Craig a few times so have taken my last time for the trip that far. this works out to make the walking time about 7-8 hours to Shakespeare via Lake Daphne (we camped at Daphne). From Goodwins Moor to Shakespeare works out at about 3:15 hours. Old notes makes it sound like it was a longish day to get there and not so bad going back as we only had to walk from the lake. There is a bit of scrub from near Darkes Pk down to Daphne and on to Shakespeare.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 10:55 am

Great Peter Thankyou! Camp at Daphne is possible then? Cant wait to get up there!

Return to Wylds from the river was 6-7 hrs from my recollection??
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Mt Shakespeare/Lake Daphne

Postby PeterJ » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 1:52 pm

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Great Peter Thankyou! Camp at Daphne is possible then? Cant wait to get up there!

Return to Wylds from the river was 6-7 hrs from my recollection??

Yes quite good camping there from my recollection not far from either Daphne and possibly closer to the nearby smaller lake.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Shakespeare/Lake Daphne

Postby MJD » Thu 16 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm

I went out to Lake Daphne at Easter. Went up Wylds Craig then along the ridge to Cunninghams Knoll and Darkes Peak. From here I dropped down to Lake Daphne for the night - bit of a surprise finding some cliffs just before the lake. Reasonable camping. Headed out towards Shakespeare the next day but it was misty and the rain was getting heavier making the scrub bashing a bit tedious so I turned around after gaining the ridgeline. Good two day walk although longer summer days would be better.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Tasmania