Arm River Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Arm River Track

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 11:35 am

Howdy all!!
How much time would be reccommended for a trip into pelion from arm river?? hoping to climb ossa, pelions, and oakleigh. is this acheivable iN 3 DAYS/2 NIGHTS???

Cheers all!!!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Arm River Track

Postby sthughes » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 2:48 pm

Yep.
Walk into Pelion the first day, up Ossa and back to Pelion on the second, then up Oakleigh and back out to the car on the third. You wont have too much time to kick back and smell the roses however and it's all dependant on weather, fitness etc. etc. of course. Watch out for the wildlife on the way home too :wink:
EDIT - WHOOPS I DIDN'T REALISE YOU MEANT CLIMBING THE PELIONS AS WELL - THATS A HUGE 3 DAYS, NOT SURE IF IT'S DOABLE OR NOT.
Last edited by sthughes on Thu 26 Mar, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby kramster » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 4:39 pm

sthughes wrote:Yep.
Walk into Pelion the first day, up Ossa and back to Pelion on the second, then up Oakleigh and back out to the car on the third. You wont have too much time to kick back and smell the roses however and it's all dependant on weather, fitness etc. etc. of course. Watch out for the wildlife on the way home too :wink:

I assume Pelion East is the summit here, and not Pelion West (which I think takes another full day return from Pelion Hut) :D
kramster
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 8:33 pm

Oh I didn't read it enough - I thought he mean Pelion Hut not one of the Pelion Peaks. That is a big 3 days indeed - never done the Pelions so no idea if possible. Sorry
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby flyfisher » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 8:38 pm

I've done Pelion West from new pelion hut and it took a full day but was worthwhile :wink:
FF
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 7:45 am

Yes, you could easily fit in Pelion East in that 3 day trip. But Pelion West would be a big ask. I've not been up there, but as other say, it would be a full day from Pelion Hut.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby freshairfreak » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:22 am

How long is the Ams River Track , and how long does it take to walk to Pelion Hut roughly? and what sort of track is it ,for example is it very steep?
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 11:26 am

There's a moderately steep section of significant length near the beginning (as there is on most of the tracks onto the plateau). The walk to Pelion Hut takes around 4 hours. Note that after crossing the river at the beginning, there is no water until well after the steep section. I sometimes walk without carrying water (only where I know there are frequent reliable water sources), but NOT on this track.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby gorby » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 6:33 pm

moderatley steep SOB? I hope I never follow you up something very steep :shock: :D
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby freshairfreak » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:32 pm

Sorry for late reply, thanks for that.... do could we do Mt Ossa as overnight trip, being that coming back out is mostly downhill?.... and i take it "steep" can mean many differnt things depending on who is giving advise, ha ha
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Nuts » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:40 pm

Mt Ossa as an overnighter from Arm River would involve at least 14hrs walking (skewed to one day or another as camping up there is not a good option). The steep part on Arm river doesn't cover much horizontally so wont save much time on the way out (perhaps 1/2 hour?)
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ollster » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 3:04 pm

freshairfreak wrote:and i take it "steep" can mean many differnt things depending on who is giving advise, ha ha

Yeah, the first bit of the track up isn't "scary steep", it's "straight uphill grind" steep. :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby tasadam » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 7:07 pm

My take on all this.
Arm River track is an excellent track with boarded track nearly all of it.
Water right at the start.
About a KM from the carpark there is a small bog where mud can be knee deep. Then the steep stuff begins. Really, the steep stuff will be over with in half an hour or so, but it is quite a puff to get up it as has been mentioned, it is steep. Slow & steady wins the race... No point busting your boiler here.
Then good track to Douglas Creek which is about 400 metres from New Pelion hut. Along the way there is a section of Myrtle forest that is particularly majestic and calming.
This last 400 or so (could be 500?) metres to the hut is an obstacle course of tree roots sticking out. Not hard walking, but a major contrast to the easy sailing you just got used to.
Time taken is questionable, fitness, experience, how heavy the pack, how much you use the camera, weather... but average I suppose half a day.

From New Pelion Hut to Ossa summit and back took me all day, but it was mid-winter with a lot of snow.
That same trip we took a day to climb Oakleigh & return to the hut, again in winter, and with camera gear. Am sure Oakleigh could be done quicker.

Pelion West last month took us all day from Frog Flats. We knew we had all day, so probably better times are achievable, as mentioned.
Not been to Pelion East, yet...

I have heard of people walking in Arm River track to Ossa summit in a day and camping up there. Different league to me I'm afraid.
I can imagine going in Arm River track and camping on Oakleigh, or preferably going in Arm River to climb Oakleigh then to the hut in a day but would leave the pack at Douglas Creek track junction and take the essentials up Oakleigh for that paln.
Then you could manage Pelion West and return to hut in a day - a big day. The boulder hopping across the top of Pelion West to the summit proper is a slog.
Then you could do Ossa and back to the hut to get your gear and head out in a big day with an early start and the head torch at the ready, and forget about Pelion East.
Or for a slightly easier day, replace Ossa with Pelion East on this day.
This plan is optomistic, and of course, is weather-dependent. A few hours of bad weather and you are one summit less on this walk.

As I say, that's my take on it.

Do let us all know how you get on.
And anyone, feel free to expand / disagree with any of this.
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: TasmaniART, Smitten Merino, Macpac

Postby MrCAMEL » Mon 30 Mar, 2009 7:16 pm

freshairfreak wrote:Sorry for late reply, thanks for that.... do could we do Mt Ossa as overnight trip, being that coming back out is mostly downhill?.... and i take it "steep" can mean many differnt things depending on who is giving advise, ha ha

You could do Ossa as a day trip.

I have not tried this, but when the sun rises at 6am and leaves at 9pm, there is no reason why it could not easily happen.

I plan on heading back and having a go at Ossa next weekend and this would reconfirm this view, or completely shatter it. I dont mind how it turns out.
Last time it took me 2.5 hours to get into Pelion on this track. But on the way out it took me 4 hours. Different moods/weather/everything. Depends what you want. Impossible to guess.
But being unsure is the most fun part 8)

\
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 9:10 am

Wow! popular spot huh this is by FAR the most replies ive ever had!
Thanks all im thinking of throwing another day in there and hope to bag all peaks mentioned!! (always weather dependant of course) I am fairly fit and have done 14 days before with a 25kg+ pack it doesnt really bother me (although my new shoes are taking a bit longer to break in)

Why is camping on Mt Ossa not recommended?? that was maybe part of my plans a night up there sounds awesome to me?!!???
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby tasadam » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 9:47 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Why is camping on Mt Ossa not recommended?? that was maybe part of my plans a night up there sounds awesome to me?!!???
I'm the wrong person to ask, I haven't seen any ground to camp on up there... YET!
D2C_1059.JPG
Ossa Plateau in winter
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 11:34 am

ILUVSWTAS wrote:Why is camping on Mt Ossa not recommended?? that was maybe part of my plans a night up there sounds awesome to me?!!???

Ossa Summit is very exposed and whilst I know some have camped there my recommendation would be to camp at Pelion Gap on day one(allow around 6hrs to get there) where you will have some degree of shelter and have the chance to do Ossa and East on day two allowing around 3hrs return for Ossa and 2hrs for East leaving you enough daylight to get back to Pelion Hut so you can do Pelion West next day(allow a full day for this) then back to Pelion Hut overnight and climb Oakleigh on your last day before heading home.
I personally would keep Pelion West for another trip but as this is almost in my back yard and I have no time constraints I have that easy option which you may not have.
Good luck with the trip and dont forget the photographs.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus
Vercundus gearus-freakius

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 12:42 pm

ILSWT

Mt. Ossa Summit Is exposed to the weather. Also:

To say that it's OK to camp up there on an open forum is to say that it's OK for everyone.

The summit plateau includes a small area flat enough and (usually) there is water in the tarn up there.
However, is also a sensitive place which you will notice, is barely handling the pressure of traffic on day walks. It seems selfish to think that 'it's just one tent/one night' but then I've spent the night there- why shouldn't you.

If you don't think that the place will end up trashed from the least impact you can have and that of those who read of the great time you might have- then go for it. Personally, my conscience would stop me these days...

There is a timber platform at the Ossa turn-off. I would walk a long way for water, and it is also exposed, though this would be the 'friendliest' place if you Needed to camp up there.

Perhaps also ask the rangers why it's a good idea to camp in designated sites in such a popular area?

Who knows, they seem to be fighting a loosing battle with guide book authors and their ego's- perhaps it would be better to harden All these areas (or just close them?.....)

Who votes for a treated pine campsite and necessary pit toilet on the Ossa summit???
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 3:59 pm

Good comments Nuts especially about the sensitivity of the area on top and especially walking a long way from the "camping areas" at Pelion Gap to collect water as there are lots of my pet hate TP flowers and their mates fresh to aged badly buried poo... close by as you know.
Having said that unfortunately we cannot reverse what has been written so perhaps the only alternative is to close some areas which I dont think would ever work now unless it was well policed by Parks.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby freshairfreak » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 4:00 pm

Hey, thanks heaps for that... certainly will be able to plan our tip now, looking forward to it
freshairfreak
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby alliecat » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 4:37 pm

Off topic I know but...

Adam, did you need crampons or anything similar to get up there in the snow? Just curious in case there's heaps of snow the next time I get up that way...

(Anybody else who has been up Ossa in the snow - I'd love to hear your opinions re: crampons etc too!)

Cheers,
Alliecat
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Nuts » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Corvus, Yes, The area around the turn off is disgusting... we went to find somewhere shady for lunch, behind each of the nearest trees we found paper and dumps, no attempt to burry them and polluting every nearby watercourse coming from the pass. I guess they thought that just their one off's would'nt make much difference :roll:

And I thought there was a guide book as to how to $hit in the woods :roll:
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby corvus » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 6:44 pm

alliecat wrote:Off topic I know but...

(Anybody else who has been up Ossa in the snow - I'd love to hear your opinions re: crampons etc too!)

Cheers,
Alliecat

G'day allicat ,
If crampons were required I would not attempt it (BTW it is not known as a major climb) as the slope down to Lake McFarlane only goes one way(straight down :shock: ) and under deep snow the track is non existent in my previous experience so I would avoid it on an occasion like that.
c
collige virgo rosas
corvus

Postby Penguin » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 7:26 pm

tasadam wrote:
Pelion West last month took us all day from Frog Flats. We knew we had all day, so probably better times are achievable, as mentioned.
Not been to Pelion East, yet...

We did New Pelion to Pelion West and back in a day on the shortest day of the year. Left just after sunrise adn got back to Pelion Hut about 15 minutes after dark. No snow around when we did it. The year before we only got half way up Pelion West due to snow. If weather permits it is a good mid winter day walk.

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tasadam » Tue 31 Mar, 2009 9:58 pm

alliecat wrote:Off topic I know but...

Adam, did you need crampons or anything similar to get up there in the snow? Just curious in case there's heaps of snow the next time I get up that way...

Cheers,
Alliecat

Yeah, off topic, but I'll answer it here in case anyone else wants to see my thoughts.
I suppose it depends on how much snow you encounter.
These two photos show a bit about how much we had -
http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/bushw ... n/T001.JPG
http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/bushw ... n/T002.JPG

Also I have uploaded these photos for you with descriptive names -
http://www.tasadam.com/forumstuff/bushw ... a/ossasnow
In short, we didn't need them and wouldn't have gone up if we did need them, mainly because we didn't have them - don't have any.
I don't know what they'd do for you, but the worst of it for us was knee deep snow, which is a bit easier than mud except for uphill - so not too bad.
You'll see the weather we had, what a shame eh?
tasadam
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Son of a Beach » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 8:12 am

I've been up there when there was a much less complete coverage of snow, but the drifts that were there were much deeper. They were hard packed and slippery. There were two spots where my wife was VERY scared, as if you really went for a slide, you would have gone off the edge of something. There was a couple of minutes there where I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to persuade her to keep going, or to go back - she just wouldn't move in either direction for a while. Scared stiff, I guess you could say. I don't want to make her sound like a wuss, though. It was a bit nervy for me too.

Looking at tasadam's photos, I think that this might have been one of the spots, but with the snow old and hard, and deeper for that section, but not as much coverage in other areas.

I don't think I'd bother camping on Mt Ossa, when there are such good camp sites elsewhere quite close by and nowhere near any tracks and nowhere near anywhere where people would have taken a dump. Camping on the summit is almost taking the easy way out, and pitching a tent on an area that is likely to be overused by other people who can't figure out anywhere better to camp.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Arm River Track.

Postby kanangra » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm heading back over at the end of the month. We are landing in Launceston and heading out on the Arm River Track for Pelion. Hopefully weather permitting we will bag a few peaks inclding Ossa, Pelion East and Oakleigh. 5 of us in the party. Will be based out of Pelion on the nights of 25th and 26th April.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby alliecat » Wed 01 Apr, 2009 4:50 pm

Adam, thanks for the pics. It looks like you had an amazing day up there! It seems that there was enough soft snow to prevent slipping and make the climb not too arduous. I *think* if there was *less* snow and more ice then crampons would help. But I have only small experience with them (1 day many years ago), hence my curiosity.

Nik, I've been up there in very icy packed snow conditions and I bailed out I'm thinking about getting a pair of kahtoola microspikes or something similar for the next time I'm up there, just in case I strike ice again. Or I could just be a bit braver next time :)

Cheers
alliecat
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Sat 04 Apr, 2009 10:53 am

Corvus, and Adam Thanks for your insights VERY detailed!
Was hoping to go over easter but not looking possible now maybe end of April! Will certainly post some pics!
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania