Crescent Bay and Mount Brown

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Crescent Bay and Mount Brown

Postby Penguin » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi all

I have been asked to lead a gentle afternoon stroll of about 10 people in this area for work. I have never been there.

The instructions I have received are:

1:00pm depart in 3-4 car loads of participants to Remarkable Caves carpark, approx 5-7 min drive from Stewarts Bay Lodge. There are public toilets here. The entrance for the walk is at the entrance to the car park on the left and it is clearly signed for Moutn Brown and I think Crescent By as well. There is only one entrance.

· 1:15pm start walking. You will pass a good view point for Remarkable Caves. Then there is the blow hole which is clearly marked. Keep going on the only path which at times is marked by cairns where the entrance from an open patch is not so clear.

· You will see the steep slope up to Mount Brown coming up. Just follow the cairns to the crest. you can keep going over to the other crest which is marked by a tripod with a black disc thing on top. there’s a name for this but I forget!

· Once people have taken in the view, the only way down is to go back the way you came. I searched and searched for another way down to no avail. I dearly wanted to explore another route instead of going back down the way we came. So no need for you to waste time looking as I’ve done this already. meh!

· Back on the path you’ll continue right and down onto Crescent Bay Beach where you’ll have about 20mins (depending on the pace taken so far) for everyone to do as they wish. they can walk all the way to the other side (quickly), or climb up the sand dunes or just sit and chill. They might like to take a book or magazine in this case. each to his/her own!

· The hike back is straight forward, up the path from the beach and basically straight ahead back to the car park.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to worthwhile side trips/variations I could use?

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Crescent Bay and Mount Brown

Postby ollster » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 3:22 pm

Penguin wrote:Has anybody got any suggestions as to worthwhile side trips/variations I could use?

I've been out there twice in the last 6 months. Not a bad walk. Saw a few echidnas, and there are snakes out there so be alert.

As far as side trips, there are none really, unless you count the blow hole, but the track leads right past it. I would suggest spending some time dune-diving at Cresent Bay, as the dunes are pretty big! :D
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
ollster
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: LoveMyGoat.com
Region: Australia

Postby Nick S » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 6:03 pm

hey thats quite a specific list of instructions.. you sure you're allowed to do anything else? :D
yeah I don't think there are any other sidetracks you can do.. i enjoyed peering over the edge of the blowhole.. actually quite dangerous though.
slightly off topic but you might be interested in this website which integrates google maps with the walk you are planning.
http://www.stepwhere.com/maps/route/Cre ... ount-Brown
Nick S

Region: Tasmania

Postby Penguin » Wed 25 Mar, 2009 4:02 pm

Nick S wrote:hey thats quite a specific list of instructions.. you sure you're allowed to do anything else? :D

The walk is a work activity, so I have to be guided by the HR person.

Nick, hopefully none of the staff fall in the blowhole - it is hard to train new staff.

P
Penguin

Postby Taurë-rana » Thu 26 Mar, 2009 9:24 pm

I camped at Crescent Bay in a past life, we were supposed to be going to the Snowys but there was a FT burnoff happening so we went to the beach. My memories are of a beautiful beach, and having lots of fun jumping off the rocks into the water past the left hand side of the beach. I don't know what HR would think of that though!
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby adventuregirl » Sun 03 May, 2009 9:08 pm

If anyone is keen just to get over to crescent bay, and skip the walk over mount brown, there is a short way to get over the beach, about a 15/ 20 minute walk each way. As you are following the road to remarkable caves, you will see a gravel road going off to the left, i forget the name of it, but i'm pretty sure it is "______ dog" road, anyways you can't really miss it is is a fairly good gravel road and it just veers off to the left. Follow this gravel road, you go past a few houses/ shacks etc, and it comes out into a open gravel area, for parking cars. there is a beach to your left. Where you park your car (the road carried on a bit further) you will see a bank up to the right, and a fence. You can see a gap in the fence and there is track leading up from there. (sort of a 4 wheel drive track). follow this up the hill, and basically follow your nose along this road, you will take one right turn, (if you keep going straight ahead its a dead end) and you will find yourself climbing up the back of a sand dune and then on top of the dunes at the other end of the beach from browns mountain. A great short walk to get you to a magical place. Hope that is helpful/ makes sense.
adventuregirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Penguin » Sun 03 May, 2009 9:15 pm

Did the full walk on Saturday. Very good walk. Thought to do the short cut out but did not have a 4wd on the way out.

P
Penguin

Postby adventuregirl » Sun 03 May, 2009 9:18 pm

Penguin wrote:Did the full walk on Saturday. Very good walk. Thought to do the short cut out but did not have a 4wd on the way out.

P

You can't drive the short track (there is a chain across the road further along... but i guess if your car is parked at remarkable caves, it would be a walk back to the car...
adventuregirl
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania