Track up Mt. Agnew?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Track up Mt. Agnew?

Postby slug » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 7:47 am

I'm new to this site and just getting back into bushwalking after a few (15) years raising a family. I've done a couple of the easier mountains around Zeehan and Rosebery and wanted to walk up Mt. Agnew before the end of daylight saving. (I used to work at the Nickel mine at the bottom.) Is there a track up to the top or not. The maps suggest there is, but several of my friends have had a go and failed to find it. How long should I allow myself. I'm 46 and carrying a little weight; it took me 1 hr 20 minutes to get up Mount Zeehan (from the Zeehan/Strahan road).

Slug
slug
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Track up Mt. Agnew?

Postby billshep » Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:11 pm

Hello Slug, There is a marked route up Mt Agnew which starts on a 4 wd track about 10 km from the start of the gravel road to Trial harbour. The climb up through the rain forest is steep and rough but reasonably easy to follow. When you reach open ground the route swings north along the ridge. Its more demanding than Mt Zeehan, pick a clear day!
cheers, Bill
billshep
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania