What about junction and the Never Never?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

What about junction and the Never Never?

Postby crazyone » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 6:15 pm

Ive been reading a bit of another thread on this topic and would be interested to know what people think. is Junction/Never Never being overrun and "trashed" as some suggest? Should a marked tracked be put thru the NN to save it from being loved to death? Does the WOJNP need some more facilities OLT style or should it be left alone? The Upper Mersey, Mayfield Flats, Junction Lake and Never Never are like my fave places in the world so thats my interest here guys.

Dave
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Re: What about junction and the Never Never?

Postby flyfisher » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 7:14 pm

Didn't look too trashed to us when we were there in late Jan. I dont rememer any mud to speak of although we didn't go to Meston.
The NN was quite O.K. and there is a good enough pad through it. We don't really want or need OT style tracks etc. here do we.
WOJ probably gets heaps more traffic so did need the camp platforms and track hardening etc.
I share your views on the area C.O. it really is special up there. Heading up for a look near there v. shortly. :D
Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby geoskid » Wed 11 Mar, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Crazyone,
Personally I hope It does'nt become too signposted. There are plenty of tracks that people can do if they dont want to navigate a little, and there are plenty of walkers around that want to walk where they HAVE to navigate. If everything becomes signposted what is left? - Range traverses, until the pink tape makes it's way up there! Long live the map and compass - I say that with a GPSr in my cheeck. :D All I can say is research your route - seek and you shall find - if not go with the spirit of the adventurers and be sure to post what you find - here! :D
Geoskid
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dplanet » Thu 12 Mar, 2009 8:08 pm

Tassie weather is one among excuses, I can say. How about Du Cane and Traveller? They would make up an expansion of extended walks. Don't mind to see a few markers because of most of my walks extended and done solo. :D
dplanet

Region: Victoria

Postby crazyone » Tue 24 Mar, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks guys for your insights. I shall report back after a thorough examination of the area very soon.

Cheers,

Dave
crazyone
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby gennifa » Fri 27 Mar, 2009 2:01 pm

Hmmmm, I mentioned this on this website a few months ago, and having read what everyone has said I don't know what my opinion is on this one.

Such a special place...and I'd hate to think there was nowhere to hike where you had to work things out for yourself. Its wonderful to take off on a hike, and navigate it yourself. The walk I did in the area was probably the most rewarding i've ever done.

I was however concerned about the safety of the veg around junction hut. The never never in my opinion should remain unmarked. The only spot that I noticed a few tracks was where the walking route heads up towards Chapter falls from junction lake..maybe a marker through that delicate veg, just at the begining to avoid the purpetuation of many tracks....but then as you have all said, there is another option, the clearer track back to chapter falls....
hmmmm

Just thought I'd put my two bit in
gennifa
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby freemandale » Sat 28 Mar, 2009 6:58 pm

I recently walked through WOJNP (not as far as Junction Lake), a circuit from Trappers Hut via Lake Adelaide. Camped the first night at Wild Dog Creek and could only assume that the place has been inundated over summer. The toilet was FULL to over flowing! Very off putting, full of maggots to the absolute brim! Although we didn't see anyone after the first day it was obvious that the area has become more popular in recent times (or maybe I was there just a bit earlier this year - last year went in May). Certainly our decision to go to 'The Walls' was that we wished to avoid all on the OT. We did some day walks around Cradle and it was very busy!

Weather was great, sunsets spectacular! And such a variety of landscapes! Being so accessable the Walls have to be one of my favourite walks!
freemandale
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Return to Tasmania