Bay of Fires area

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bay of Fires area

Postby MrCAMEL » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 10:15 am

Hello peoples!

I probably will be heading to the Bay of Fires area and possibly further up North on the Coast or into Freycinet.

I have never been walking in these parts and was just wondering if there are any special things you could recommend seeing, or things to do. There won't be too much hard walking going on, but will probably stay out for 2 or 3 nights, depending on where everything happens.
Vrilen Snyson Racing: Finding us all a Vrilen
Asparagus: Experience the versatility
MrCAMEL
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Re: Bay of Fires area

Postby Chris » Thu 05 Mar, 2009 1:56 pm

If you are interested in seeing anything away from the magnificent coast, you might like to check out the Blue Tier which is inland from St Helens.

We used to camp up there years ago on the marsupial lawn, before it was formalized with toilet and official parking area. There's a good range of walks there from short and wheelchair accessible to several hours, in a wide range of vegetation. Have enjoyed all the 2-3 hour walks.

It's a former tin mining area from late 1800s to early 1900s (I think) but the rainforest is reclaiming it. Great coastal views, flora and fauna, also mining relics if that's your thing. Sadly there's clear-felling going on up there, but I believe it's still well worth a visit.

NOT a good road from Lottah to Poimena (the start of the walks) last time we were there, but the logging may even have improved that? :twisted: Someone else will probably have more recent info on that.

More info on walks: http://www.bluetier.org/tourism.htm
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania