Lake St Clair

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake St Clair

Postby cocochanel » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 3:25 pm

Hi,
I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to advise me of the best way to travel to Lake St Clair from Launceston please?
I am planning a visit there in a couple of weeks to do some walking, but no-one I ask seems to know and even staff from PWS have given different info at different times.
What I'm unclear about is whether it is best to travel via Longford/Poatina or whether to travel via the A5 from Deloraine.
Also, I'm wondering re the amount of road that is unsealed on both routes and whether they are still suitable for a 2WD vehicle?
Any advice that could be given would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks,
Coco
cocochanel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Lake St Clair

Postby MJD » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 3:39 pm

Personally I like the A5. It does have a few sections of dirt but it is well maintained and very wide. Certainly suitable for a 2WD although I must confess to driving an AWD.
Carpe diem
MJD
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 3:42 pm

Horses for courses, I guess. I usually go via Poatina (& MIena and Bronte Park). :-) I have been both ways, there's really not much difference, either way, I reckon.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby BarryJ » Sun 01 Mar, 2009 6:04 pm

I travelled between Deloraine and Miena on Thursday (down and back) and was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the gravel sections. It is a month or so since I have travelled the full distance from Miena to Bronte Park but I have recently travelled as far as Little Pine Lagoon and that section too is reasonable. I drive a 2wd wagon.
BarryJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania