Drys Bluff from the top

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Drys Bluff from the top

Postby Clownfish » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:00 pm

Does anyone know how to reach Drys Bluff from the top? i.e. on the Plateau?

Someone in another post mentioned apparently being a route "from the top of Poatina Rd."

I've had a look at a map that shows Westons Rd. branching off Poatina Rd and heading to the north-east side of the Bluff. Does anyone know if there are there any walking tracks that continue on?

Oh, and I have climbed it from the bottom up, so I'm not cheating! :wink:
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Drys Bluff from the top

Postby wello » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 8:38 pm

I think it was Tastreker that mentioned the Westons Rd route. I think he mentioned a gate, and there's one on my 1:100,000 map, quite close to the start.

I spent quite a while wandering around lost in the cloud on top of Dry's Bluff last year. Spotting the end of Weston's rd through a very rare break in the cloud was the landmark that enabled me to get back on track. If there was a track from the end of the road to the Dry's Bluff summit, I would have been in approximately the right place to find it. I saw no track at all.

The country south of the peak is typical plateau scrub. Undulating terrain, some thick patches but mostly not a problem to navigate through. The real problem is the lack of obvious features to use for navigation in low visibility. That was certainly my issue (a GPS would have helped!).

Wello
wello
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Clownfish » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:09 pm

Are you looking at the Tasmap Meander map? I've just had a look at it myself, and it shows about 5ks of that plateau swamp and scrub, from the end of Weston's Rd. to the peak.

Probably not too hard, but not really the easy afternoon ramble I had in mind for this weekend, either :) And, yes, I'd also be a bit cautious with the weather, for navigation. I don't have a GPS; I always carry a compass and maps, even for afternoon strolls, but when those clouds roll in, you can't see a damn thing, hey?

Thanks for the help!
Clownfish
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sthughes » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 9:27 am

Yeah I think it was me who mentioned it. I read it could be done in this topic http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=582&p=3876&hilit=westons+road#p3876. But I have no experience with it myself.

In the above topic Tastrekker wrote:
If anyone wants something different, it is also possible to approach Drys Bluff using Westons Road. This is a locked Hydro road that heads NW from the top of the Poating Highway along to a canal and wiers on Westons Rivulet and Brumby's Creek. I have ridden a mountain bike along to the end of this wier. From this spot you are only 5km from the southern peak of Drys with only a modest climb required. On the day I rode along this way, there was quite a bit of snow so I did not continue on to the peak. I have heard of others doing this though by getting a key from the Hydro and driving to the end of the road.

Looks like about 12km on the road plus another 5 or so off track so some wheels (car or mtb) at least part way might be a goer or it's a LONG day.
I've also read somthing somwhere else but I have no idea where. I'm pretty sure it said there is no track so a GPS would be advisable - or at least some breadcrumbs :P
"Don't do today what you can put off 'till tomorrow." (Work that is!)
sthughes
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Tasmania