Higgs Track

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Higgs Track

Postby frw » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 3:34 pm

My wife and I are planning our annual Tasmanian walk for April. We plan to walk along Higgs Track to The Walls, down to Lake Meston and across Lees Paddock to Pelion. What would be the best way to get to the start of Higgs track? Is the walk across Lees Paddock Track without any difficulty/problems? We will be flying to Launceston from Melbourne so would be starting from there.
frw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Re: Higgs Track

Postby DaveNoble » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 5:51 pm

I have used the taxi company at Deloraine to get to the start of Higgs Track. They know the track quite well and are used to taking bushwalkers there. Use the internet white pages to get their phone number and call them and ask for a quote (last time they had a set fair - it may have been $50). I have used the regular redline bus service to get to Deloraine from Launie.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrekker » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 9:37 pm

In recent times, the Redline buses between Launceston and the north-west coast have become very infrequent. Also, you need to first catch the Airport Shuttle to Launceston to hook up with Redline.

Check out http://serenitytas.com I often see their shuttle buses travelling between the Launceston Airport and locations along the North-West Coast. They have a list price of $30p.p. (2 people) for Launceston Airport to Deloraine and "surrounding areas." I suspect the Higgs Track is too far off their route but the Deloraine Taxi will fix that.

P.S. I have not used them so I would love to hear feedback about how you get on if you speak to them.
tastrekker
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby rucksack » Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:05 pm

Walked that way last month. Took a Redline coach from Hobart through Launceston to Deloraine, where we had arranged to be picked up by Deloraine Cabs (03) 6362 3452 at the bus stop. I made the booking by telephone from Shanghai and it worked a charm. The driver was very familiar with the run and said to us that Deloraine Cabs are getting an increasing number of calls for this service and from as far afield as Singapore & China! They will pick walkers up from the Redline stop in Deloraine and drop them off at the sign-posted start of the Higgs Track for $60 'a car load', which probably means a maximum of four with packs and a bit of a squeeze. There are actually 5 tracks running off Westrope Road, in order: Higgs, Western Creek, Lees, Syds & Mother Cummings Peak (North), but I'm not sure that a taxi would be able to manage all of them. Although there was only the two of us last month, we still thought it very good value as it is a direct 'bus-to-track' service!
rucksack
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby wobbly » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 8:25 am

Hi
Probably not as cheap as the bus plus taxi option but we are travelling direct (via a shop of course) from Launy AP to Higgs track on 28/3 with Outdoor Recreational Transport Ph: (03) 6391 8249 Fax: E-mail: griggpaul@hotmail.com, http://www.outdoortasmania.com. One of our party has used him before and says he's good. Costs will vary depending on numbers of travellers.

regs
Peter
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby johnw » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 9:16 am

wobbly wrote:Hi
Probably not as cheap as the bus plus taxi option but we are travelling direct (via a shop of course) from Launy AP to Higgs track on 28/3 with Outdoor Recreational Transport Ph: (03) 6391 8249 Fax: E-mail: griggpaul@hotmail.com, http://www.outdoortasmania.com. One of our party has used him before and says he's good. Costs will vary depending on numbers of travellers.

I'm happy to recommend Paul. We used him for our Walls trip in Dec/Jan. He's a bushwalker himself, climber, kayaker, outdoor instructor etc. Understands the needs of bushwalkers, aware of current conditions etc. I found him reliable, helpful and good company. To be cost effective though you need about 6 people or be able to share with others on the same dates going to the same or nearby destinations. We were lucky as he already had 6 other people doing the OT on the same dates. We just had to detour there first.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby frw » Thu 26 Feb, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for the response. We used outdoortasmania last year but with just the two of us it can be expensive, thoogh his service is quite good. The bus taxi option is lookng the best so far...
Regards to all
frw
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania