Winterbrook Falls

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Winterbrook Falls

Postby Chrisbulldog » Tue 24 Feb, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi to all. Last sunday 22/02/09, my friend and I made the ascent to Winterbrook Falls. For those unfamiliar,these falls are 50k's south of Ulverstone underneath the summit of Black Bluff. Walking through the magnificent stand of King Billy pines , the walk is primarily a climb over tree roots and rocks . Thankfully the judicious placement of pink tape prevented us getting lost . Some of the old railway area is still preserved, but the old bridge has only 2 planks left on it. Just at the moment,there is virtually no water coming over the fall.
We met a walker who had camped at Paddy's lake overnight, with the intention of climbing Black Bluff, however lowering fog (a frequent occurence ) prevented this.
Probably not promoted enough as a day walk ,but ,is as a tourist destination ,hence us coming across 2 grossly unprepared parties. Well worth a trip , but wait till it rains first.
Next destination ..Meander Falls.
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Winterbrook Falls

Postby Taurë-rana » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 1:23 pm

Good to hear that you're getting out and walking, Chris, how were the legs after? It's a pity there wasn't much water as Winterbrook Falls are spectacular when flowing well.

DA
Peak bagging points: 170ish
Recent walks - Picton, Wylds Crag, Rogoona
Taurë-rana
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Speculator » Fri 27 Feb, 2009 9:42 pm

Yeah I've been in there a few times and they can really thunder down the face of Black Bluff. Here's some pics of when the BWT strollers went last year.

l8r.
Last edited by Speculator on Wed 13 Apr, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---
Peak bagging points: 10. Peak bagging bagging points: 10000.
Speculator
Optimus Imago
Optimus Imago

Postby Chrisbulldog » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks Annie .yes was good to get out and about ..things finally lined up so that i could ..and yes legs were a bit stiff and sore. Thanks Speculator ...yes is a very good walk a little underpromoted .The area plus the area around my following walk ..Meander Falls ..are both in areas run by the forestry service , hence the " minimilist" nature of the track marking ..either pink tape around branches or triangular markers on trees , and both tracks needing logs cleared that have fallen across. None of your boardwalks here lol.
Valentine's Peak , Overland Track , Walls of Jerusalem , The Temple
Chrisbulldog
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania