scouting at Cockle Creek to Lion Rock

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

scouting at Cockle Creek to Lion Rock

Postby kwendys » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 2:06 pm

Scouts are organising a hike from Cockle Creek to Lion Rock, can anyone tell me how far (kilometres and time) from Cockle Creek to Lion Rock. I am thinking of going as a parent helper. Are there any facilities at all? Is water available? Is the terrain flat? steep? Is there a designated camping area?
any helpful knowledge would be appreciated!
kwendys
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: scouting at Cockle Creek to Lion Rock

Postby gorby » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 6:28 pm

It took us a bit under two hours at an amble to reach the start of the beach from cockle creek car park.
If lion rock is the one at the end of the beach then it would add an extra 15 minutes perhaps.
At this time of year there would be no available water on the walk and there are no facilities at the beach.

It is an excellent easy walk but it would be advised to keep the more adventurous kids away from the edge of the cliffs.

there are some pics and advise somewhere else on this forum if you do a search.
gorby
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: scouting at Cockle Creek to Lion Rock

Postby kwendys » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi Gorby
thanks for your reply...I didnt attend this hike as I didnt get much feedback, except yours...so will await my sons return to hear about the conditions and maybe attend next time! thanks again
K
kwendys
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania