Camping at Scotts Peak Dam

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping at Scotts Peak Dam

Postby jose » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 9:40 pm

Are the Huon Camp and the Edgar Dam campsite the only places to camp in that area or is there also somwhere close to Scotts Peak Dam. Just looking for somewhere to overnight before starting a walk to the Western Arthur Range and, from memory, the Huon Camp can be pretty damp.
Jose
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Camping at Scotts Peak Dam

Postby tastrax » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:26 am

Huon campsite is only a few hundred metres from the Scotts Peak Dam and whilst it is tucked into the bush its not that damp (comparatively speaking...you are in the SW remember). Next alternative would be to commence walking and stay at Junction Creek.
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service

Postby jose » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:53 am

Thanks Tastrax. There are a few of us travelling separately down from far NW, NW and NE Tas on Sunday and it was suggested we camp at Scotts Peak Dam but I don't see indications of a camp site at the Dam on the map. I am probably asking in the wrong forum - the fishermen are more likely to know alternative camping. We walkers are generally too keen to be off along the track as soon as we arrive!
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wobbly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:48 pm

Hi
There are some gravelly beaches at the west end of the Scott's Peak dam wall that at the time (2004) I thought looked like potential campsites. May be worth a look and its only a short walk to Huon if you dont like them.
wobbly
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jose » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:31 pm

Thanks for that Wobbly. I've only been there in the dark before and I made a quick get away in the early hours next day so it sounds like I'll find something if I look around in the daylight. I guess at this time of year there may be quite a few others there making the most of the weather.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby eggs » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 2:33 pm

jose

I find this question a little confusing - though I think you are in the best forum to ask it :)

There are 2 recognised campsites at the bottom end of Lake Peddar.
One is next to the Lake Edgar Dam and is called the Edgar Campground, the other is "next" (very close to) to Scotts Peak Dam and is called the Huon Campground.
I am working from memory, but I am not sure if the Huon Campground was always called that. I have always thought of it as the "Scotts Peak" campground - and perhaps the naming is a source of confusion.

Edgar is a large and open camping ground with several day-huts, bins, wood and fire places and a large toilet building (still only drop toilets).
It is popular with those boating or generally chilling out, but is where we have stayed when down there to bushwalk.
If you have a vehicle, it would be my choice.

Houn consists of quite a number of smaller camp areas embedded in the forest and has a basic toilet. It all appears to be very good camping ground (ie not boggy), but I don't know if there would be issues during heavy rain.
It has the main car park next to it, which is also the start of track to the Western Arthurs - so if you camp anywhere else, you will still probably need to come here to start the walk.

The only other place anywhere nearby with toilets is the Condiminium Creek carpark - with camping next to the creek. But that is a long way from Scott's Peak.

All the best
Brian
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby jose » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry Brian,. The question was probably confusing because I WAS confused with the suggestion (by one of my party) to camp at the Scotts Peak Dam camping ground. I only asked this forum because I thought that maybe there was an other area for camping that I did not know about. I realise they must have meant the Edgar Dam camping ground - just called it the wrong name. I'm sorted out now. Thanks for your effort.
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rtunney » Sat 28 Feb, 2009 4:42 pm

I think, when people say "Scotts Peak dam campsite", they are referring to the Huon campsite. It's close to the trailhead for the track to Junction Creek. There's even a track built between the campsite & the trailhead. It's mush better camping there than the Edgar Dam campsite, which is quite exposed to the wind from the west. (The usual direction!)

Alternatively, turn right just before crossing the Huon River & camp on gravel by your car underneath Scotts Peak Dam.
rtunney
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jose » Sat 28 Feb, 2009 6:19 pm

Thanks rtunney. We travelled down there last week and ended up camping at the Edgar Dam Campsite on a lovely warm, mild evening. Thanks for your recommendation Brian. A great spot with all those facilities - even the toilets had toilet paper and a sink with hand towels. I would recommend it to anyone travelling for 7 hours by car and then wanting to stay overnight before a walk. Thanks to the rest of you for your input. Jose
jose
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania