South Coast Track - Louisa Bay and Osmiridium Beach

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

South Coast Track - Louisa Bay and Osmiridium Beach

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 6:15 am

Heading off Wednesday to do the South Coast Track and were thinking of having a night at Louisa Bay. Has anyone been in there recently?

Chapman mentions water as "collected from some drips and soaks" Has anyone been able to get a drink there recently?

Also possibly plan to stay at Osmiridium Beach. (Trying to keep the days short where we can) One forum member passed through there recently as he was not that impressed by the site (and mozzies) Anyone else have any views about camping there?

Also had reports of strong ?rodent activity at the Granite Beach site. Anyone had a bit of their tent or pack chewed there recently?

We have planned a night at Melaleuca before we start walking and then have 8 nights before being picked up in Cockle Creek. We did this walk 3 years ago in early April over 6 nights. As we are now almost officially "old farts" we decided the extra two nights would make the trip a lot more pleasant.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the short notice. We catch a 7am flight to Hobart on Wed! (btw, anyone around Hobart who want to join us for a cut out drink, we are staying at Shippies on Friday night the 27th and will be the 3 blokes and spunky woman (my wife) who are limping back and forward from the bar "rehydrating? Not sure how we manage it but we always seem to stay in Hobart when the market is on at Salamanker.......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: South Coast Track - Louisa Bay and Osmiridium Beach

Postby Penguin » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 9:56 am

Frank

I am heading along the Southern Range to PB and then out along the SW track. We start on Friday (19th). We may bump into you on the track. Look out for four odler blokes (48 to 69) and one younger fitter woman (who is not the wife of any of us).

P
Penguin
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby NickD » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 10:02 am

I was on the South Coast track in early December last year, so my advice is only as current.

Louisa Bay water source was quite limited at the time that we was there, and that was after a lot of rain the night before which swelled Louisa Creek. It drips down off the rocks above, but if it hasn't been raining you might have to spend quite some time collecting.

Stayed at Osmiridium Beach also, didn't mind the campsite really, yes there are mozzies, but aren't they everywhere anyways? Its well drained, flat and sheltered, the only thing was water at the time Dec 08 was average. There was enough there for a large commercial group (we had 11) no worries, but if it has been VERY dry leading up, it'd be down to a very minute trickle if that.

On the way into Osmiridium, beware of the deep small mud sink holes. By the time you reach there you'll be well acquainted with mud, but just on the track turn off into Osmiridium, the mud holes are very small, only boot size yet waist deep, so injury could easily occur with the wrong step. Just beware.

Enjoy the trip!!
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 10:15 am

Penguin wrote:Frank

I am heading along the Southern Range to PB and then out along the SW track. We start on Friday (19th). We may bump into you on the track. Look out for four odler blokes (48 to 69) and one younger fitter woman (who is not the wife of any of us).

P

Excellent Penguin - maybe we should wear name tags!! Pics of Sue and I on our blog header so you should recognise us : http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/ There are 4 of us.

Have a great trip
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 10:25 am

NickD wrote:Louisa Bay water source was quite limited at the time that we was there, and that was after a lot of rain the night before which swelled Louisa Creek. It drips down off the rocks above, but if it hasn't been raining you might have to spend quite some time collecting.

Always a toss up whether you want a dry trip or rain so you get a good drink.

NickD wrote:Stayed at Osmiridium Beach also, didn't mind the campsite really, yes there are mozzies, but aren't they everywhere anyways? Its well drained, flat and sheltered, the only thing was water at the time Dec 08 was average. There was enough there for a large commercial group (we had 11) no worries, but if it has been VERY dry leading up, it'd be down to a very minute trickle if that.

Thanks for this.

NickD wrote:On the way into Osmiridium, beware of the deep small mud sink holes. By the time you reach there you'll be well acquainted with mud, but just on the track turn off into Osmiridium, the mud holes are very small, only boot size yet waist deep, so injury could easily occur with the wrong step. Just beware.

Thanks for this advice. Yep, reckon the mud will be fun.....

My understanding is that the track turnoff into Osmiridium is not very clear. What is your experience? You don't have a grid reference or waypoint do you?

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your information, much appreciated.
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:36 pm

I'm almost sure it is sign posted at the moment. I know that it was quite clear, you wont need a grid reference I shouldn't imagine. If its not signposted or cairned, you'll see the obvious mud path leading off after coming down a small hill (west to east).
It was very obvious though I know that.
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Azza » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:58 pm

The turn off to Osmiridium Beach is clearly sign posted and you can see the beach off in the distance.
No chance of missing it...

In comparison the tracks to Louisa Bay aren't sign posted and you'll have to watch for the pads leading off
across the plains. They're easy to spot if your looking for them.

Cheers

Aaron
Azza

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks to Aaron and Nick for your help. Will let everyone know how we went on our return.
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania