Walls of Jerusalem Car park- Camping?

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walls of Jerusalem Car park- Camping?

Postby kanangra » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 1:05 pm

Is there any camping spots at the Walls carpark. I will be driving out from Launceston late and was wondering where people would recommend staying the night? Is there any camping at the Mole Ck caves reserve? we will have 3 tents.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Walls of Jerusalem Car park- Camping?

Postby Son of a Beach » Sat 14 Feb, 2009 1:22 pm

There are some reasonable spots to camp alongside the Mersey Forest Road where is goes alongside Lake Rowallan (for a couple of kilometres before the Walls car park turnoff). The ground is a little rocky, but is grassy enough in places. Water from the lake, of course is about 50 to 100 metres stroll, depending on where you stop.

There is also an official camping ground with minimal facilities a bit further back along the road, which is most commonly used by people doing kayaking/rafting on the river, I think. (The road is bitumen for a couple of hundred metres to stop all the dust blowing into this camping area).
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Re: Walls of Jerusalem Car park- Camping?

Postby olblackbilly » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 4:43 pm

been there a few times,we would either pitch a tent near the little fisher river or walk up to the trappers hut, its a lovely, but strenous walk on dusk with a bit of moonlight, an early start the next morning you can be at the gates by 8 a.m. unless you go down to lake meston etc. wich is a beautiful trip in itself.......the best time i had at the walls was in winter where we stayed at the old hut on the plains at the back of the temple looking towards east jerusalem, we used to get snow in those days...talking about 1970s though
olblackbilly
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Tasmania

Return to Tasmania