Sharland's Peak

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Sharland's Peak

Postby sue555 » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:25 pm

Has anyone climbed Sharland's Peak? We attempted it from the face on walking out from Lake Tahune yesterday, but it was a very unstable route - lots of shale rock. I believe there may be an alternative track.
sue555
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Sharland's Peak

Postby PeterJ » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:49 pm

You may have gone along the the track too far. It is quite straight forward if you leave before the cliffs. You can also visit Daverns cavern out there.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby NickD » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 10:04 am

Didn't want to start a new topic on a related topic, has anyone climbed White Needle also?
I've read in the Vera log book that one of Tassie's most experienced hikers thought it was one of the most hairy raising climbs he's done in Tas, if not the most.
Any beta?
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby sue555 » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks Peter, I thought as much. The exit may be down the landslip area. Is the track marked?
sue555
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby sue555 » Wed 18 Feb, 2009 7:57 pm

I query the technical difficulty of the white needles - the feature doesn't rate a mention in 'peak baggers' and I'm sure it would if it had significance. I stand to be corrected, though :-)
sue555
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stu » Thu 19 Feb, 2009 6:54 am

From the 'official' peak baggers list:

3 White Needle Franklin Vera 057185 1117 1

The 1 pointers can be unassumingly difficult as I'm sure many would agree (think of Provis Hills, tho the days of scrub / remoteness are the issues on that one).
I'd also love to hear about others experience with this one & others in the area (Sharlands Peak, Philps, Clytemnestra, Lynne, Seal etc.).
Nicoles Needle doesn't rate a mention on 'the PB's list', not to say it isn't worth doing!?

Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby sue555 » Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:22 pm

This link is worth checking out re White Needle, etc. http://www.wildtiger.biz/index.php?tracknotes&id=23
sue555
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby stu » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 7:22 am

Cheers Sue, sounds like a challenge in winter; I think I'd want a rope for White Needle in those conditions, a lot harder to back-off on ice.

I think these guys reference the outdated / alternative PB's list - the official one, which Dave Harris & recently Paul Geeves, have completed is as far as I'm concerned, the official one (I have an excel copy for those interested, tho not sure I can forward vis this forum, only by private email).

Thanks again, I'd missed those notes on http://www.wildtiger.biz , even tho I also regularly contribute to that site.

Stu.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PeterJ » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 9:18 am

Just back from A-K traverse of Western Arthur Range and with all the gear to clean and pack up and photos to label haven't felt like looking up my notes, so this is just from memory but will check in due course and post a note if what i say below is not fully accurate.

i don't recall any track up Sharlands when there last in 1995

We went up via White Needle to reach Philps Peak, but may not have technically reached the top of White Needle (I don't remember well enough 1987 - gosh that long ago) as Philps was the objective. A few scrambles and false leads but nothing overly difficult on the route we took.

Clytemnestra was no trouble, just a matter of picking the way off Frenchmans (W -SW)

Philps can also be climbed from the plain just before Vera. I did look up my notes of April 1994 Early start Saturday (5am) allowed us to be walking by 8:30. Day fine and warm with plains extremely muddy. Seemed a long climb up from Vera Plains. Camped high overlooking Lake Whitham and climbed Philps late in day & had to return by torchlight.
Strong winds overnight but next morning fine. rain set in about 2pm as we crossed the Loddon River..

As for Lyne one word SCRUB, someone told me it was the hardest walk he had ever done so I quickly lost interest in going there and the decison I felt was vindicated by the epic trip that Dave Harris had to get there.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby prbratho » Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:57 pm

We climbed Sharlands Pk last year on the way back from Frenchmans Cap without difficulty. A few hundred metres before you get to the landslip the track passes close to the crest of the ridge. Climb up to the crest and then drop down into the grassy area to the NW of Sharlands Pk.

We found a rough pad heading down to a boggy area. The final climb up Sharlands PK from the NW was open and not too steep.
prbratho
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Tasmania