Warning: Access issues to Farmhouse Creek

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Warning: Access issues to Farmhouse Creek

Postby stu » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 7:20 am

Just a heads up to anyone heading down the East / West Picton Roads to Farmhouse Creek (Federation Peak, Mt. Bobs, Picton Ranges etc.).

Forestry is currently conducting operations in the area & there is a 'new' boom gate erected maybe 12 k's or so from Farmhouse Creek on the West Picton Road (I'd assume a corresponding one on the East side as a sign on the gate signifies limited access to the whole area).
Access has to be arranged & a key loaned from Forestry (Huon offices I think, ring to confirm). This would have to be arranged / collected during office hours.

I hope this isn't an issue for parties already doing an Eastern Arthurs traverse & hoping to be collected at Farmhouse Creek?

Access will remain this way until the 30th April apparently.
Please be aware of this & pass the word out to anyone contemplating walks in this area.
Access to the Huon (Yo-Yo) track is still available.

Cheers.

Stuart.
stu
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Warning: Access issues to Farmhouse Creek

Postby NickD » Thu 12 Feb, 2009 11:45 am

God tell me about it.
Went to Federation last week, they locked the gate and wasn't going to give us a key because of a rally race in the area too. But smooth talked them after a while :lol:

What was worse was when I got back to Farmhouse Creek after my walk to have my car not start and be 50km away from phone reception!!!!
NickD
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Fin » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:19 pm

You can also arrange a key from the Airwalk. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and got through ok. I returned early (bad weather) but fortunately an apiarist (bee keeper) was only a few km's past the gate and he helped me out with a ride back and tried his key which did the trick... so I suggest be nice to beekeepers!
Fin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Steve » Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:52 pm

Fin wrote: so I suggest be nice to beekeepers!

And the bees too. :wink:
One foot in front of the other, Hack all pain, Never stop walking.
Steve
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby rohjoe » Tue 03 Mar, 2009 3:26 pm

I did a walk to Burgess Bluff on Sunday 22/2 with the aid of a key from the Geeveston FT office. On my way out there was a car (sans occupants) parked inside the gate. Didn't see any pedestrians on the road so hopefully they managed to call a taxi.
RJ
rohjoe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Tasmania