Red Paint Track Mt. Wellington

Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Tasmania specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Red Paint Track Mt. Wellington

Postby mjdalessa » Fri 06 Feb, 2009 6:08 pm

On Mt. Wellington a quite direct northern route up the organ pipes is shown on old maps.
Some say it still exists but is quite dangerous.
Can anyone help me with details on this fabled route up the organ pipes?
CAn you still start from junction cabin or is it overgrown?
Recent Peaks: Snowy South, Ben Nevis, Victoria, Blackboy, Bastion
mjdalessa
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Red Paint Track Mt. Wellington

Postby PeterJ » Sun 08 Feb, 2009 9:05 pm

There is the Big Gully ascent which can be done with caution, but the red paint one you are referring to is nowadays reached by taking the climbers track towards the northern end of the Organ Pipes then scrambling along the base (to the right) until a fairly straight forward climb is found. Last time I was there a pad existed and probably still does. You do need to take a reasonable amount of care though.

Another way up is much further along the Organ Pipes Track and crosses over boulder field and then goes along the top of the cliffs to meet the route up I mentioned above. But as it is not easy to find first up, however if you come down this way then it won''t be hard to find on future occasions. You can also walk to the summit from a couple of spots once at the level above the Pipes.

After the last fire some people, did make their way along the old Red paint track from near Junction Cabin and reported some faint signs of red paint, but you would be lucky to find them now.
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mjdalessa » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:00 am

I have a map from 56' and it shows the red paint track leaving from about half way along the organ pipes track.
There were two red paint tracks one being an extension of the legendary unmarked middle island track which still exists in secret.
The other left from junction cabin and according to my map (if the track still exists) in this area it would be traceable by going up the hunters track until you meet a slight left pad which would put you on it.
Are there still red markers on the rocks showing you the way up?
Iv'e heard some friend of a friend rumours about people going up there but info is skechy.
Does this Big Gully ascent route leave from the chalet?
How far along from the chalet does the red paint track leave?
I also have a map from 72' and alll the so called secret tracks of today have been ommited by then.
mjdalessa

Postby PeterJ » Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:36 pm

mjdalessa wrote:..........Does this Big Gully ascent route leave from the chalet? How far along from the chalet does the red paint track leave?

From memory we went up Big Gully by turning going up the climbers track (1.1k from the Chalet) it is marked on recent maps but not the current one. It is just a matter of scrambling to the left along the rough tracks there until reaching the opening. The Red paint one you are talking about can be reached from the climbers track as well (turn right). The original way is at a guess 850 metres from the Chalet (give or take 50 m)
PeterJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ben.h » Wed 11 Feb, 2009 8:28 pm

I was last on the climbers track just a little while ago. I guess the track is around 850m from the Chalet along the Organ Pipes track as PeterJ suggests (a few cairns marking the start last time I was there).

IMG_3991_600x800.JPG
This is just before the track gets steep (i.e. rock climbing steep).
A nice little scrambling track follows the base of the Organ Pipes all the way to Pinnacle track.

IMG_3921_800x600.JPG
A number of routes appear climbable here, however, I haven't attempted any. Alternatively, following the track to the right (from our perspective) takes you to the top.

Finally, you might find some useful info here:
http://www.thesarvo.com/confluence/disp ... bouldering
ben.h
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby mjdalessa » Thu 12 Feb, 2009 6:34 pm

Thanks guys I'm going to try it out on saturday.
I just hope its not too overgrown!
mjdalessa

Return to Tasmania